Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Oddly enough I don't mind the voice-acting all that much. It works a lot of the time. Right until you hit one where they probably should've reconsidered, like with the Witch or the Baron. But Scott's writing is more egregious than his voice-acting to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Wasn't a lot of drinking vessels made out of lead back in the day? Mostly because of its ability to deal with germs, and then the poisoning was just a slight side effect.
Or maybe that thing mostly went away after the romans disappeared since I think they were the ones who did it the most.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

I don't think they had enough germ theory to consider that part, I think it was just that it was soft and easily shaped, plus if I remember right a small amount of lead adds a bit of sweet taste, so it might've been perceived as improving the flavour.

Looking it up I was probably off a bit but it does have a lower melting temperature which was preferable.
Even then romans in particular got exposed to a lot of lead in their society.

Should add you're not wrong with that last part, as per wiki:

quote:

Writers of the time, such as Cato the Elder, Columella, and Pliny the Elder, recommended lead (or lead-coated) vessels for the preparation of sweeteners and preservatives added to wine and food. The lead conferred an agreeable taste due to the formation of "sugar of lead" (lead(II) acetate), whereas copper or bronze vessels could impart a bitter flavor through verdigris formation.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm just gonna recommend The Locked Tomb series until someone tells me to stop. :v: Haven't read anything that fun and enjoyable for a while.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PurpleXVI posted:

Too late, I'm already desperately clinging on to sanity while waiting for the next book.

Welcome to the club. :hfive:

Justina Robson's Quantum Gravity series was a pretty fun read too.

16 Ways to defend a Walled City is good as well. Been meaning to pick up the sequel at some point.