Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm only halfway through this LP so far, but I wanted to share my favourite line so far, from our noble OP himself:

quote:

as someone from Scandinavia, I'm perfectly well-used to fish-based war crimes

Makes me feel better about the slightly disappointing sausage rolls that I had for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
If you haven't read The Three Musketeers, Purple, in any language you are missing out. D'Artagnan has such a good character arc, and the main villain is to hateable.

I'm re-reading a translation of the last book from Forgotten Realms based on the Time of Troubles, after three of the main characters are deified. It's my favourite of the five, easily.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I don't remember details, but a friend lent me that book 10+ years ago. I didn't care for it, but I couldn't tell you why.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Fun fact: verdigris comes from the French term vert-de-gris, due to its greenish (vert)-gray (gris) colour.

Also, I did laugh that Purple explicitly stated how many places sound typically British, then we come to a place called Everton which is letter-for-letter part of Liverpool, England. I'm hoping that there is a Kirkdale or Knott's Hole nearby too. :D

Purple, what are your thoughts on this game so far? I think that the writing is a bit better than BoK but BoK had a better plot. This game seems a touch better visually, but while BoK seemed janky in a cute way this game just seems annoyingly obtuse, mechanically as well as otherwise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Vanigo posted:

You already had every spell at the start of chapter 8? Including lava sphere? I thought that required skill levels you couldn't reach in chapter 6.

Mind you, lava sphere is pretty useless unless you've been making an effort to grind spell accuracy, but it's a pretty solid gently caress you when it hits.

I don't want to spoil, so I will just say that according to the offficial strategy guide there are 48 spells in the game of which the above Lava Sphere is the most complex. I don't think that what's-his-name has the skills for it. Purple, any desire to post the spells known and current casting skills?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

I FINISHED IT.

I swear no one will believe how loving stupid this gets before the end.

How do I put you in for a Fortjenstmedaljen i Guld med Krone for surviving this nonsense?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

Simply DM the Danish queen on twitter and I'm sure she'll fast track me.

I just... I'm not sure if I'm getting across how bad the game is because I'm cutting a lot of its dead space, repetitive content and bad combat. But I'm really trying to explain it without making you all sit through 200 identical screenshots of a pirate getting stabbed in the head.

That was the highest civilian honour I could find. I'm still not entirely convinced that you aren't a Danish prince, very distant from the throne, who just likes to do LPs for giggles.

If it would make you feel any better, I would like to hear more about why BoK was better than this. This game was an obvious (inferior) clone of that one.

Edit: Do you hate this game more than Wizards & Warriors? I... kind of like that game, but I read your LP of it in one big gulp and you loathed it.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Hel posted:

Which is kinda funny because the impression I've gotten from the Internet is that Antarra is supposed to be this amazing forgotten gem and Krondor 2 is some lovely cash in. We now know the first part isn't true, so let's hope Krondor 2 is actually good.

While I will admit that I had no idea how different RoK was to BoK in terms of mechanics and visual style, I think that a lot of this may be due to two things: One is that nostalgia is a hell of a drug but it's been so long since people played these games that they forgot how lovely they were; people were also more tolerant of bad design then because games were expensive and hard to find. The other, because nostalgia is a hell of a drug, is that BoK was first and more implanted in peoples' minds, and since RoK was quite different some people felt betrayed. For a lot of people, it's more about what evokes the best memories than what is better. As an example, I am always amazed at how many people worship Mario 64, Mario 3, Mario World etc. These are all great games, but each one has had a superior remake on a later system, yet people care much more for the originals because nostalgia is a hell of a drug.

I hope that that rant was as cathartic as it seemed to be. I underestimated how rubbish this game was.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
Which books are implicated in the novels?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, with both the GOG and Steam versions, no matter the settings and compatability options enforced on either the game or OBS, I'm only able to record the game as a postage stamp-sized window, no matter that it's actually a perfectly fine, full-screen size when I'm playing it. Googling around, no one else who's had this problem has had a solution for it.

I see one recorded playthrough on YouTube and I'm hoping the person who recorded it gets back to me on how they got it to work.

I read every word (or near as drat it), both yours and the game's, but I didn't watch a single video... so I was going to say 'gently caress recording, just do an SS playthrough of RoK, but it looks like you have it sorted.

I confess that watching you become steadily more venemous toward this game as you progressed was rather entertaining. In this playthrough, you were the canary and we were the miners; thanks for taking that metaphorical bullet for us.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

Finally read the last 3 updates and my god, what an absolute poo poo show of a game. That they went from BaK to this garbage pile is astounding. There’s so much I hate about it but one of the worst is definitely the move from bad dev team renfaire outfits to exceptionally generic avatars especially since 99% of them are all the same dumbass vacant, soulless looking head-tilted design with various (often minor) changes. Even some of the grrltfttlflyltlftltlt use it with some quickly drawn fur. Everything about this game screams incompetence and/or a total lack of necessary funding and dev time.

My condolences for the time you lost playing it for our amusement.

Did you read the Antara LP? This game doesn't seem nearly as horrid as that one. Damning with small praise perhaps, but still...

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
I didn't forget anything. I thought that it was odd to piddle on BaK when Purple had such passionate, eloquent hatred for Antara.

I hope that Purple plays something fun next. I feel bad for him and, by following his LPs, I feel like I am encouraging self-harm.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Evil Fluffy posted:

I was saying Antares is poo poo, not BaK. I like BaK.

I apologise; I was mistaken.

malkav11 posted:

I would never argue the character graphics in Antara are good, but (mostly) I still think they're better than digitized photos of goofballs in lovely costumes. That's something that immediately takes me out of any game that tries to use them in place of actual art.

Didn't bother me. They were so silly that I just smiled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

By popular demand posted:

That's okay friend, Antara sucks so much it causes miscommunication my lovely eggplant.

That's a new epithet for me, but I am British and we prefer the term 'aubergine'