Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Psion posted:

It's not helped by them trying to build a setting at the same time; I don't care about any of these people or fictional stakes or lore dumps about how that one guy only talks to people of equivalent rank, because I'm given no reason to yet. It feels like Antara tries to do three things at once (background lore, main plot, characters) and none of them have enough space to work with so none of them really work at all.

maybe that'll change as we go but the opening feels very rough compared to BAK's chapter 1. For anyone who didn't read the Feist books do you feel the same way? I can't tell if I'm biased towards BAK because it was better at this or because I knew enough of the setting beforehand.

I got BaK as a Christmas gift as a kid and knew nothing of the setting. The intro was interesting Eva use it seemed to start at a midpoint, like Star Wars, and there were clearly things going on. I also had the benefit of not knowing what a Gary Stu Jimmy the Hand was in the setting, since in the game he’s just another melee character like Gorath and Locklear, but with some better sneak and lock pick than they started with.

Figuring out the lock boxes sucked without knowing what a lot of them referenced.

I didn’t beat BaK until years later because my first time through I missed the mention that you had to kill the elementals with that one drain spell. Otoh, when I did replay it via GOG I went all east,south, west in chapter 1 and it’s great because the characters start out commenting about getting away from trackers and devolve to “well nobody will expect us to go all the way out here” levels of commentary about you not taking the intended route down the coast.

It’s also easy as hell to get endless money in BaK because 0% durability bows sell and buy for nothing, and stringers are cheap, AND if you sell to certain shops it permanently adds that item to the store, so one elven crossbow and bowstring is all you need to start printing cash. Not that you need to do it. If you explore and loot a lot you can still have blessed great swords and chain armor in chapter 1-2.

Not knowing the riftwar books made so much of the game confusing. Why are some people calling this guy Pug and others call him Milamber? Who’s this FF4 Edward bard/duke that James knows? Or this goddamn woodsman in the middle of nowhere? Why the gently caress do James and Locklear refer to themselves as squires and Signeurs??

Reading the series after playing the game made some things fit, but it also made others really funny due to all the bad renfaire costumes and guys like Arutha definitely not looking like they did in the books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Each update just makes me more and more grateful that I never bought this game. As much as I liked BaK as a kid, this would've probably killed my interest in these kinds of games in general.

OTOH, I played Dungeon Lords to completion (with friends) so maybe I'd have willingly suffered through BaA too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Psion posted:

the Nighthawks made it into this game too? :v:

Well they had to go somewhere Pug and the others couldn't find them. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Everything about this game screams that they wanted to make a bigger, better BaK and ended up with something half-finished at best.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

So are the Vell just Anatara's store brand imitation Valheru?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

With the letters you take to the sisters I don't think the NPC was suggesting "hey it's good that the guy was never a father to his daughter" but more "it's better that he died on the road coming to see her than to arrive and learn she died and his dream of finally meeting her was in vain" which isn't much better since they're all still tragically dead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

That William, aren, and so many others use the same head tilted doofus faced character portrait with minor adjustments really makes the game feel like a sharp drop in quality compared to Krondor since at least the bad office cosplay outfits made people look unique.

..even though a bunch of BaK characters didn’t look like how the books described them.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Finally read the last 3 updates and my god, what an absolute poo poo show of a game. That they went from BaK to this garbage pile is astounding. There’s so much I hate about it but one of the worst is definitely the move from bad dev team renfaire outfits to exceptionally generic avatars especially since 99% of them are all the same dumbass vacant, soulless looking head-tilted design with various (often minor) changes. Even some of the grrltfttlflyltlftltlt use it with some quickly drawn fur. Everything about this game screams incompetence and/or a total lack of necessary funding and dev time.

My condolences for the time you lost playing it for our amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I was saying Antares is poo poo, not BaK. I like BaK.