Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

RedFlag posted:

Hey, absolutely loved the BaK playthrough. I've finished that game a number times, although sadly my second and on attempts were marked by blatant use of the bard and overflow inventory exploits. I'm not proud.

Its a single player game you've already beaten once, there's no reason to feel guilty about powergaming if that makes it fun or interesting for you. I say this as a person who uses the cheat chest every playthrough because I can't be arsed to go all the way to the invisible mountain I can never find to get the ale for the quest I always forget about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Yeah I think this was why I bounced off of the game when it came out. Even Chap 1 Owyn is more fun than these guys.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I think its the lack of a clear goal from the outset. Getting Gorath to Krondor is a simple clear goal with a good reason behind it that you quickly discover (everyone's trying to kill him), and everything else plays off of that hook. Even if you wander off the beaten path, everything still reinforces "moredhel are a problem and its gonna get worse if you don't do something".

With this game I just don't feel like there's that same unity of purpose in the way all the lore etc is fed to you.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The tavern track is almost identical to a classical music piece that I found once upon a time and I'm convinced I'm never going to find again. Perhaps it was a fever dream

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Oh thank god I thought it was just me

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It is a walktapus and you will respect its gloranthan heritage.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

The Johannes Cabal series is always good for some time killing. The gist of it is a necromancer is trying to get his soul back from Satan and has to steal 100 souls using a carnival. It's absolutely hilarious.

Edit: excited for plot happening, I lost it again. Have we saved the consort yet or not? Phone reading makes it hard to tell sometimes and I keep forgetting to go back and reread on desktop.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

I didn't mind it so much since the whole soul getting thing was just there to hang a moral crisis on and for various characters to do whatever the literary equivalent of scenery chewing is with it. It would be like being mad the that the train was running at an unrealistic schedule.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

It's a magic train anyway so even that's moot

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Just think though after this krondor 2: the krondening will seem so much better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Let's not get ahead of ourselfs; Return is really bad.

Its not nearly as bad an Antara. There's a plot line that you can explain to someone, characters have identifiable motivations even if they're stupid ones. I think the worst part is probably trying to navigate around the world with the terrible 3d. I forget if the magic was cool or not, its been so long since I've played, but I remember liking the priest.