Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Voice acting can be dangerous that way.

Also, as someone who doesn't know of this setting and story and didn't know of Krondor's setting and stories, I think that the lack of a solid hook at the start is a great weakness of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Cooked Auto posted:

Wasn't a lot of drinking vessels made out of lead back in the day? Mostly because of its ability to deal with germs, and then the poisoning was just a slight side effect.
Or maybe that thing mostly went away after the romans disappeared since I think they were the ones who did it the most.

Romans didn't get lead poisoning from lead plumbing because they (deliberately) let the water flow in them long enough to form a mineral deposit on every surface, presumably after witnessing the effects of heavy metal poisoning on their metalworkers. Water vessels are another matter I suppose. (I actually have a tea strainer a pair of centuries old, given by my grandmother, with explicit instuctions to never use it because vert de gris froms on it and that's not good, so it didn't go entirely away.)

I believe the chief use of lead in physical contact with bioavailability in daily life was, instead, for cosmetics.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Mar 9, 2022

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If you need some light reading for the next autobattles, I would recommend Bad Blood by John Carreyrou, which is about the Theranos mess, also the entirety of what Arturo Perez-Reverte has written, in particular the Captain Alatriste novels.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The adventures of an unemployed soldier in Philip IV's Madrid, the inquisition is doing its thing, the empire is in decline and the schemes and messes from above tend to roll down the slope and cause trouble, also, rent has to be paid. I like that Perez-Reverte uses first person narration to really make the past a foreign place, with foreign ideas and behaviors.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Fundamentally they are swashbuckling novels, historical reality is there but the novels are such that you don't need to care for it or know any of it, it's just that such drunken poet getting in a duel or such idiot king actually existed, such as Fransico de Quevedo who, however, did not, as far as I know, assault a nunnery in a bid to rescue a young lady from the clutches of some plot or other. And both the books and history are somewhat unkind to poor Philip IV, because he was not very good at his job.