Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Psion posted:

It's not helped by them trying to build a setting at the same time; I don't care about any of these people or fictional stakes or lore dumps about how that one guy only talks to people of equivalent rank, because I'm given no reason to yet. It feels like Antara tries to do three things at once (background lore, main plot, characters) and none of them have enough space to work with so none of them really work at all.

maybe that'll change as we go but the opening feels very rough compared to BAK's chapter 1. For anyone who didn't read the Feist books do you feel the same way? I can't tell if I'm biased towards BAK because it was better at this or because I knew enough of the setting beforehand.

As someone who's first exposure to the Feist world was Betrayal at Krondor, I think it worked pretty well. I think the difference is the pressure of having the get Gorath to Krondor and the constant ambushes, as well as the fact that non of the characters actually live at the starting point. Aren being the stereotypical farm boy works against it I feel, as well as the only reason is him wanting magic training for free. William himself isn't directly involved either, since he was just given a medallion from a dying man. In BaK you might not instantly care about the characters but you can invest in their mission long enough to start caring. Here in Antara I haven't even gotten to know Aren before he starts being a bit of an rear end to his fiancé about him loving off on adventure, which has coloured the experience since.

Basically BaK got me to buy in enough to start caring, Antarra started off too weak for me to get into it, even if the other parts had been super strong and well done. And honestly if the plot or characters are well written I don't need the others to be great. Maybe I'm just a bit tired of the young inexperienced men going on adventure and growing up, but I really liked that the starting party in BaK was older, and even Owyn had some history and experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

I do hope people stick with the LP, though, because as I recall it, Antara does have some cool stuff that pops up from... I wanna say about the end of chapter 2 onwards. Especially chapter 6 has some things that I know people are going to love.

Oh, yeah I'm sticking with it, it's still interesting even if it doesn't have that explosive start that BaK did.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

Update 5: Why Would They Do This?

After the cutscene we're unceremoniously dumped on the doorstep of Panizo with the quest of finding "mage Finch" who's got a hiding spot north of Midova. This obviously makes Midova our first port of call but, eh, since when did we ever go where the game wanted us to go? It's not the boss of us.

Mostly I want to check up on Imazi to see if there are any new quests or dialogue over there relating Lord Garsson and our chances for ruining his day.

Was there supposed to be a cutscene introducing chapter 2 here?

But yeah, some of the quests seem to be of the very bullshit variety.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

Sorry, that was actually at the end of the last post, I should probably have edited it in so it's in both posts.

Rewatching that makes it even funnier that you spend a week sleeping in a ditch waiting for a shipment of tea, since William was really hoping on quickly moving on after dumping Aren at the mage.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

Also Owyn could've been wearing a pair on his feet, a pair on his hands and a pair, uh, over his ears?

One at each end of his staff.

I will say that it seems that we are getting somewhere, what with William wanting to prove himself to his father, which both gives a more direct reason for travel and also a reason to just gently caress around and help people, than just going back home and getting Aren some low budget magic training.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Xander77 posted:

One side has a knob on the end for that very purpose.

loving "Grrrrlf" is like the one thing I remember from the manual. Definitely a very serious name for a very serious race.

There's a reason most people keep to the standard elf, dwarf, orc, sexy catgirl non-human species with minor variantion. Because they've been around enough to not be instantly embarrassing, like the Grrlf.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

Update 14: Get Into My Swamp

I feel like this is a reference to something, but I don't get it. We also never see Ghan again after this chapter, so unless Betrayal in Antara gets a much-delayed sequel one of these days, we'll never know where they were going with this.

It's a Starbucks joke, they took their name from a Moby Dick character, which Ishmael also is. See also Deus Ex 2 with Queequeg & Pequod and a few other games iiirc. Basically any time it's about drinks and Moby Dick names, it's a joke about Starbucks.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

As someone who was pretty down on the writing at the start of the game, I do feel like it has hit its stride over the last few chapters. The main story is still a bit whatever but a lot of of the side stuff is pretty charming.

Psion posted:

If it is, it's one hell of an early joke at their expense. I know Starbucks was founded in the 70s, but 1997 was before Starbucks' meteoric rise in store count and/or public awareness across the world. That said, Dynamix was in Oregon and Sierra was in California so it's entirely plausible because Starbucks was everywhere in the region well before they went global.

It fits the formula perfectly even brings up the takeaway aspect, but you also have to remember two things: Americans seems to treat any local thing as if everyone else is intimately familiar with it and game devs have always made some pretty local references in their games.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I'm not one to say you have to follow all the rules of writing at all times but yeah, Antara really could have benefited from understanding "Start the story as late as possible" a bit better. Because the first few chapters are spent establishing things that aren't really relevant anymore, if they ever were.

And what is the tone here, is it Aren and William laying low avoiding the local cops for a crime they didn't commit or are they trying to avoid launching the kingdom into a campaign of ethnic cleansing. Because the lazy , no hurry traveling fits the first, but it randomly seems to ramp up into the latter whenever we get to certain plot points.

Not problems unique to Antara by any means but still.

I once again want to thank you for doing this, because while I do find it interesting I probably would have quit before this point if I was playing it myself.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

Just think though after this krondor 2: the krondening will seem so much better

Which is kinda funny because the impression I've gotten from the Internet is that Antarra is supposed to be this amazing forgotten gem and Krondor 2 is some lovely cash in. We now know the first part isn't true, so let's hope Krondor 2 is actually good.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Well that was an ending at least.

I will never understand why so many games undermine their own ending for a sequel hook. A sequel requires the fans to be invested in the original, but who'll be invested in a story that undercuts itself at the last moment, even if it was great on the way there. In Antaras case finishing off this story here and having an unrelated sequel showing off a different part of the world makes more sense to me.

Thank again for showing this off, even if the game ultimately ended up being disappointing.

Hel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 23, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

it seems to always be recording 640x480, so playing around with canvas size and scaling the display capture, I can get it to 1280x960, (2x each side)

How readable is it( please ignore the fraps readout):

What I did was setting the canvas to 1280x960 ( File -> Settings -> Video, both base and output)
and then editing the display capture transform to double the size, which would be dependent on your screen resolution.( Right click Display capture-> Transform -> Edit Transform -> Size)

Hel fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

PurpleXVI posted:

Could you screenshot your settings? Because I could swear I did the exact same thing and it didn't work.

Also lol, we're rolling anyway.

Here:

My screen resolution is 1920x1080 so that size is double that.