Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This'll be good. The only thing I remember about this game was that I despised the writing so much that I didn't get very far at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This LP is golden. I definitely understand why younger me decided to drop this game after the first few towns. Building the setting, and fleshing out the people, and all that stuff. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but it feels like they spent an inordinate amount of time to really show, right off the bat, that Antara is different from Krondor.

Also, I'm not a fan of the dialogue. It's as tiresome then as it is now, but at least I didn't have to save scum for hours to get this payoff.

Nevertheless, this LP is GREAT. Thanks, op!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I spent a lot of time in Betrayal at Krondor trying to make money by having Owyn play the lute. I loved to spend hours in that universe, but then my savefile got corrupted and I gave up. Those first three characters were so cool to a teenage me. Keep in mind that I have never read a book set in Midkemia, much less any book by Feist (I was more of a Stephen King fan back then).

I kinda want to see if there would be a way to rewrite Antara to make it as compelling. It would be a big overhaul but it's interesting to think about what the deficiencies really are... at least, for me. Out of scope of this thread, though.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Well, trust me, if nothing else, I realized I had to reload a bit to go back for some missed content in chapter 1, and it will definitely get you some interesting voice acting, if that counts. :v:

Voice acting in mid 90s games is so :allears: because, more likely than not, the VAs are off the street or developers themselves. Ultima 6 is notable for being voiced by the people that inspired the characters in the game. And who can forget the hammy acting in Myst?

Sierra, of course, was a big proponent of voice acting. I remember King's Quest 5 on CD and it was bad, but you could appreciate the effort. But they upped their game for Gabriel Knight, which actually had Tim Curry playing the titular character, and Mark Hamill playing another major character. The CD had an AVI where they interviewed the voice actors and actresses for the major characters.

Anyways, I think the voice acting in Antara is decent. Probably not professional VAs, though.

EDIT: Quest for Glory 4 had, hands down, the best voice acting in the entire series, if not of all Sierra games. The narrator fits the mood incredibly well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

malkav11 posted:

I find the witch lady's voice acting highly entertaining.

:same:

very hammy. The VA really leaned into it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

:shrug: maybe the other professions are red herrings and a child's first guess at a nice gift are the glass bottles that adults are always giving away.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

rujasu posted:

My dad played Antara for a while when I was growing up. His laptop could barely run it IIRC - like the battle music would sound choppy because it kept loading from the CD, I think?

Anyway, there sure is a lot of brown and gray in this game.

the backgrounds, the character portraits, the sprites, the equipment...

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Hel posted:

One at each end of his staff.

:wiggle:

MagusofStars posted:

The Mage thing seems extra weird to me because he accepted the answer instantly without question. It's not exactly one of those riddles where you hear the answer and it makes intuitive sense; for all he knows we're totally on the wrong track. Unless he's already got an inkling of the answer, in which case, why not walk to the chest yourself and brute-force it, dumbass?

I think he thought that it was beneath him to brute-force. And anyone who is confident to know the answer has already brute forced it, so they already have the treasure.

And he has the hubris to think he can take on the group.

Let's hope our resident mage doesn't get too full of himself.

Hel posted:

There's a reason most people keep to the standard elf, dwarf, orc, sexy catgirl non-human species with minor variantion. Because they've been around enough to not be instantly embarrassing, like the Grrlf.

who wants to go down an 84 post derail about how to identify a sexy catgirl

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I found it funny that the Museum curator used the phrase "face of the Earth" because I figure that they would have a replacement name for their world.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

Oh, they do, the world as a whole is called "Ramar."

"Off the face of Ramar" would indeed give the interaction that extra bit of Antara charm. But I guess someone didn't check the script carefully enough.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Selana seems to have a bit of southern belle twang. Or maybe it's just me.

which is either an easy way to denote class or it's a pretty apt choice

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I actually think Outpost was a spectacular game, complete in its own right, without the need for an expansion. But this is my teenage brain talking, looking at it with rose colored glasses. Felt like a sci-fi version of Civ except it's just you vs the elements. I quite like how the Panic button did nothing, which is very apt.

I got a copy of Outpost II quite recently but I never got around to playing it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Given that Antara's population feels pretty minimal, a culling of humans in the thousands really feels like an outright attempted genocide

So, in that vein, I can understand (but not condone) the latent anger against the griffs

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

"Disrespecting the Grrlf? What are you, a Grrlf hater?"

"No way! I've got a Grrlf-friend! I have two!"

"What, are they here? I'd like to meet them."

"No. You can't. They don't live here. They live in ... Pianda".

"Oh. I keep census records for the Emperor, and Pianda hasn't reported any sightings of the Grrlf, much less any residents. The Escobars must be lying! The gears of bureaucracy grind slow, but I'll make sure they grind fine! I have an unnatural hatred of the Escobars since one of their scions insulted my mom!"

"I was just kidding."

"Oh. So you are racist. Well, so am I. C'mon, we'll be late for the Shepherds' meeting."

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

I am Grrrlf

I am Grrrlf

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

If they had the Ultima 7: Serpent Isle paperdolls, the art would actually be more animated and lively, instead of standing straight and facing ahead like lifeless mannequins.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

PurpleXVI posted:

And guess what! It got a novel tie-in, too! In fact there was even an interstitial tie-in novel set between Betrayal and Return!

And I've got both and will talk your ears off about them. :)

:f5:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you for suffering through this game in our stead.

It makes sense that these pirates were such a thorn in the side of the empire if they're all tricked out in montari plate and could easily raid any jaeger's home, if not the emperor's.

Maybe that was the true threat to the empire? That would be quite a happy accident.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

What would an Antara 2 look like? How much more batshit crazy could the plot be, given that the pope is the mastermind?

• A wraith is controlling the pope, or working in concert with the pope, to allow wraith human hybrids to enter the royal bloodline (Sheffield himself mentioned such hybrids)
  • A power vacuum caused by the slaughter of the pirates allows the mercenaries to sieze towns, install their own jaegers, and create a populist revolt.
  • senadrin is a trapped superwraith, and the consumption of senwater is turning Antarans into unholy beings and making them extra tasty for normal wraiths
  • ultimately, the idea of crating wraith human hybrids is to ensure that all humans obtain magic power to keep each other in check and prevent another Waste happening. But William's efforts to uncover the plan have ultimately caused mana to dissipate, requiring Aren and all of the other mages and any hybrids to flee to the wraith dimension.
  • This is ultimately a way for the pope to cause his wraith friend to abandon plans to conquer Ramar and go back to their home plane in peace.
  • Hundreds of years pass, and Ramar is in decline since civilization cannot advance without magic. William's distant descendant comes across a fissure and a journal that opens it. By firing a bolt of energy from her hand, she brings mana back to Ramar and the fissure opens, where Aren emerges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I can't drink any more whiskey to comtinue writing this dreck, someone put me out of my misery