Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
Oh, man, this game. I put way more time into this game than it deserved.

I actually had to finally register after like 15 years, because I have a very important warning for you: if your inventory is completely full at the end of chapter 5, the game will crash at the end of chapter 6, and the only way to continue will be to go back to an old save and play all the way through chapter 6 again. I'm almost positive this was never patched. This is not the worst crash bug the game had at release. When it shipped, it crashed at the end of chapter 8 100% of the time for 100% of players, and Sierra had to post a chapter 9 save file for download so that people could finish the game while they put together a patch. This game has so many stupid bugs. Like, the enchantment you can put on shields that's supposed to help block arrows? Doesn't do anything, because arrows ignore both shields and armor entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

In any case, I'm sure that magic is-

So what's meant to happen is that you combine keywords to create spells which Aren then "researches" and eventually learns as time passes so he can use then in combat, but in practice something about the UI just baffled me and all that I could figure out was how to make the orbs make a variety of odd humming noises and occasionally spinning. Satisfying, I suppose, but not giving me any real war crimes.
What you have to do is activate all three orbs at once, and since those three keywords combine to make Static Discharge (and Aren starts with those skills high enough to meet the requirements) it'll let you start researching. This gets sort of clunky when you have more keywords to work with, but at least once you activate one orb every orb that you can't combine it with will get greyed out, so it's not unmanageable. It's cute, but honestly it's so rare that you have more than one researchable spell to choose from there's not much downside to automating it.

Another important thing to know about the magic skills is that, unlike other skills, tagging them makes them slowly increase over time even if you aren't using them. This is necessary, because it's entirely possible to have a magic skill too low to make any spells with, which would make raising it normally impossible.

Also, skill increases aren't quite as opaque as they look. There's the sound cue and a brief sparkling background on the character's portrait (if you look fast enough) when a skill increases, and most importantly the next time you open the skills screen it'll highlight the skills that have gone up since the last time you looked and I believe it'll tell you by how much if you mouse over or right click or something.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
Shields aren't flat damage reduction, they have a flat chance to block attacks entirely. And IIRC, hardening fluid also raises the stats of the item you put it on for the next battle. With hardening fluid and Kor's blessing on the best armor in the game, you can get your damage reduction up to 95%.

Lightning Bolt and Unseeing Eye are indeed both excellent. The reason you were able to learn them is that Aren can unlock new magic skills by watching enemy mages use them, so he's picked up Range, Light, Destroy, and probably also Fire. This lets you unlock a lot of skills far sooner than you could in any other way - Fire, in particular, is otherwise unavailable until chapter 8. Speaking of spells, Scott should have given you a bundle of notes, which Aren can read to learn a couple more. Nothing especially exciting, though. I want to say detect traps and detect mineable resources?

Also, the tavern songs are fully voiced by what I've always assumed was the devs having a fun afternoon off. (Can't seem to find them on Youtube, though.) This game is a lot of things, but it's not short on love.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
I think there's a riddle chest somewhere that tells you how to make Fidali Paste. I'm not sure if there's anything else that hints at it. Nudberries... I think they're used in some sidequest somewhere?

I'm pretty sure the Optics Primer boosts Aren's skill with Light magic. The Dervish Disk is a one-shot buff like Kor's Blood and Steadfast Tonic that gives you a 360 degree zone of control and, IIRC, boosts your defense a lot. Maybe also attack? It's definitely not worth the cost unless you have more money than you know what to do with (which will eventually happen if you hoover up everything that can be sold).

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

MagusofStars posted:

Man, I hope the plot speeds up sometime soon - it really seems like the party doesn't really have any overarching goal yet and still just sort of doing minor bullshit tasks.

Also, what's people's take on the new word lock chests? I like the concept, but it seems like a lot of the ones thus far have revolved around in-game knowledge which limits the fun riddling part of it - you either know what the game's name for Antidote Herb is or you don't (being on this side of the LP, I mostly don't :v:); there's no reasoning it out.

Even once the plot kicks off, there are a lot of minor bullshit tasks floating around.

A lot of the in-game knowledge riddles are there to reward people who've been reading all the flavor text. If you've seen fidali paste, it's not much of a stretch to guess that it's made from fidali leaves. I didn't mind it when I was playing the game, but posting screenshots of the descriptions of every item in the game would be fairly absurd, so it's not great for an SSLP.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

Psion posted:

the only thing I like better than long bullshit fetch quests for {{questitem.name}} are ones where they immediately undercut the value of what you just did by saying "hah I already had some!"

it's a cheap attempt at humor and it doesn't work

I'm not sure how that riddle worked either, but I bet somewhere you'll find a child character in a town 3000 kilometers away with a line of dialogue that could conceivably be the answer. that appears to be the level of lateral thinking and/or precognition the game wants :v:

This is it exactly. There's a bunch of kids singing one of those children's songs that's also a game, and the riddle is about one of the verses.

The tinker in Aspreza is also the only place in the game you can repair shields. Naturally, by the time you get the only magic shield in the game, Aspreza is no longer accessible.

Talicor dust isn't just for protection from flaming swords, it gives you 75% protection from all fire damage, so it's useful against some mages, or if you want to run through your own wall of fire. Probably the most useful elemental resistance booster, though, is the grounding wire; there are some really dangerous swarms of lightning bugs later on, and grounding wire pretty much neuters them.

Shieldstones are mostly useless (especially sapphire shieldstones, since cold damage is really rare), but you can just activate them and leave them running; they don't take up an equipment slot or anything. Selling them is absolutely the better option, though.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
If memory serves, the diamond shieldstone is the only good one, because unlike the others it blocks all damage instead of just one rare damage type.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

Amazingly, it contains a magic ring that Aren gets instantly, a Ring of Welcoming which boosts his Lockpick skill. I pass the Circlet of Senaedrin to Kaelyn since I can't tell if it actually works or not(it turns out one jewelry item per character is the cap. sad!).
I seem to recall the circlet making one character heal noticeably faster than the other two when resting. Which of course isn't all that useful, since you still want to keep resting until everyone's healed. You can save a little time and food by shuffling it onto whoever's hurt most, I guess.

quote:

It doesn't help that the crusty-rear end implementation of darkness in Antara contributes to it being impossible to spot shop signs at more than arm's length, even the overhead map is darkened by it being night, so I accidentally stumble into someone's house while looking for an inn.
I don't remember which function key it is, but one of them changes your gamma, so it's super-easy to cheat darkness. F5, maybe? One of those.

quote:

Mechanically they're no different than thieves, bandits or pirates, but story-wise these are Shepherds. They've popped up in mention a few times before now, and are also mentioned in the background lore in the manual. To recap, they were a core part of the original effort to not get humanity eradiated by the Grrrlf back when the Grrrlf as a culture were more warlike, and in the wake of the war remained as watchdogs keeping an eye out for any future Grrrlf incursions. Now, with war with the Grrrlf being a thing of the past, the Shepherds have instead turned into a chuddy alt-right movement arguing that Antara should take this moment to strike and genocide the Grrrlf once and for all.

Because they're huge assholes.
It's arguably even worse than that. They aren't even actually connected to the original Shepherds; they just stole the name. After the Grrlf turned into Magical Native Americans, the original Shepherds... I think they developed into the church of the Triune, but they might have just disbanded.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
I definitely remember talking to Fellich Marr in chapter 3. Maybe it's another issue with the GOG version?

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

sb hermit posted:

I actually think Outpost was a spectacular game, complete in its own right, without the need for an expansion. But this is my teenage brain talking, looking at it with rose colored glasses. Felt like a sci-fi version of Civ except it's just you vs the elements. I quite like how the Panic button did nothing, which is very apt.

It was playable enough, but obviously unfinished. Leaving a big red panic button that does nothing on the main UI at all times was just the most obvious sign (full disclosure: I was at the right age to think that was hilarious). A lot of the systems described in the manual just didn't exist, like building roads for your mine trucks, and forming additional colonies. I actually played long enough to terraform the world once, and the only thing that happened was it played a short video clip of robots driving around on the surface of a Mars-like, obviously un-terraformed planet.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
I seem to recall the strategy guide saying that the lucky charm gives you some sort of luck bonus in combat. No idea if it actually works, though. Carluda's chain is actually a consumable, not something you equip, and it affects the entire party. Curiously, the item's image changes when it's partially used; it has one link for every remaining use.

As for the blessing, did you check the sword's stats before and after? I'm pretty sure the stats visibly increase. (Or maybe only for armor?)

Spell accuracy is kind of a bitch; so many of the good spells can't miss that it's easy to just not train it, and then you just keep missing when you actually want it. In fact, the only use for hotfoot I ever found was throwing tiny 1-cost fireballs at the end of fights to train spell accuracy.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

So, it might amaze everyone to know that we've already been where this key is for! As far as I can tell there are no loving clues whatsoever to it, I had to look up a FAQ. If anyone can guess it before the reveal, I'll buy you an avatar and title celebrating your vast megamind. Do show your work, though, I won't believe a word of it without a proper reasoning, because I refuse to believe a normal human brain could figure this one out.

I won't pretend to have figured it out either, but I think the intended clue is the line about it being a curio on some jaeger's mantle. The culprit was super excited about showing off his new Chunese tree idol when we met him earlier, and wouldn't you know it, that's the one.

Why anyone who wanted to make a totally bogus Chunese tree idol would bother cutting down an actual Chunese sacred tree to do it is beyond me.

Also, I believe there are six poison spells in the game. They're all dogshit, but they do exist. The magic system really does feel like they had a lot of big ideas, then they ran out of development time and had to pare it way back. I think they wanted to make one of those "combine the elements to research over 1700 distinct spells" deals, and instead it turned into, well, this. It looks really cool, until you realize it's just a clunky mechanism gating access to an unremarkable list of hardcoded spells.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
Yeah, in the mid and especially late game, anything without armor turns into a bit of a joke. Even without strength buffs, damage goes up as you get better weapons, and the durability of non-humanoid enemies can't keep up. With armor in the mix, your increasingly well-equipped humanoid foes do fine, but animals? They just keep getting easier to kill.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

PurpleXVI posted:

I've not been having much luck finding this guy's book, but apparently it gives a large Assessment buff if you read it, and just some arrows if you give it back unread, so it's objectively a better choice to just read the drat thing and toss it in a ditch.
I'm pretty sure the book is in the local tavern under a bench or something.

quote:

So, this bow fires two arrows at once, as one attack, at the cost of a worse both damage and accuracy mod than the Grrrlf Bow. It means that Kaelyn can now actually do non-negligible damage, but since she's also lost access to places where she could buy Enchanted Arrows, and the +damage fire and corrosive have a nasty accuracy malus, it's more of a sidegrade than an outright upgrade since bows are never super-accurate, even at their best, though I think the game displays their accuracy wrong in combat.
Huh. I though the only quickbow in the game was on one random-rear end pirate in chapter 8.

quote:

Cool, right?

I wish I could tell you how devastating it was, but every single use of it missed Kaelyn. I think something like ten shots or so all whiffed her, completely absurd. I could imagine it being the same as the spell that uses the same projectile, which would mean probably 20 to 40 damage, depending on the power level.
I believe these guys deal 40 damage with their fire breath, and there's a stronger version later on that deals a whopping 80. 80 armor-ignoring fire damage should by all rights be terrifying, and grounds for breaking out the talicor dust for every battle, but fire wolves are bugged. Their flame breath works off of spell accuracy, but as non-spellcasters they have no spell accuracy, so their hit chance is always 5%.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
Oddly enough, montari plate mail is only available in this chapter, so if you ever want a set for Kaelyn, you have to buy it before the end of the chapter and give it to her when you meet back up.

As for the wraithbane enchantment, I think it wears off at the end of the chapter, i.e. the point at which you'll never need it again. I'm pretty sure the enchantment wearing off is for... plot reasons.

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021
You already had every spell at the start of chapter 8? Including lava sphere? I thought that required skill levels you couldn't reach in chapter 6.

Mind you, lava sphere is pretty useless unless you've been making an effort to grind spell accuracy, but it's a pretty solid gently caress you when it hits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanigo
Dec 16, 2021

Hypocrisy posted:

Not having the party face Petrov was baffling. Even if he wasn't the mastermind he was the main mover behind a lot of the party's struggles. How bizarre.

Fair is fair though, there was a pretty big betrayal in Antara.

Oh, betrayal is one thing the game isn't short on. Felich Marr, obviously, but Selana poses as her father in order to cozy up to pirates and nazis, Bryce and Petrov betray the Shepherds, William and Aren betray the mercenaries, Lord Caverton betrays the audience by somehow being completely innocent...

Incidentally, I'm pretty sure the Pope's goal was to put Aurora on the throne because he thought he could easily manipulate her, which means that the wraith stealing her soul instead of the emperor's meant that his whole scheme had catastrophically backfired.