Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Scaramouche posted:

Hah was going to say, I only remember two things about this game when it came out, and one of them was the chapter 8 -> chapter 9 thing. The other was that alt.rec.midkemia or whatever newsgroup got real salty about them releasing a non-Feist Feist game.

ah usenet, never change, never change

e: there are OCR transcribers which can probably chew through that text you're not transcribing pretty easily if you want to go that route, I've seen them in other LPs

Psion fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Dec 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I feel like what's really missing in Antara, personally, is the like... stakes. If we really care about the characters, then personal stakes like "William has dad problems" and "Aren wants to become a wizard" are fuel enough. But... man, maybe it takes time, but I just don't care that much about these characters so far.

It's not helped by them trying to build a setting at the same time; I don't care about any of these people or fictional stakes or lore dumps about how that one guy only talks to people of equivalent rank, because I'm given no reason to yet. It feels like Antara tries to do three things at once (background lore, main plot, characters) and none of them have enough space to work with so none of them really work at all.

maybe that'll change as we go but the opening feels very rough compared to BAK's chapter 1. For anyone who didn't read the Feist books do you feel the same way? I can't tell if I'm biased towards BAK because it was better at this or because I knew enough of the setting beforehand.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I do hope people stick with the LP, though, because as I recall it, Antara does have some cool stuff that pops up from... I wanna say about the end of chapter 2 onwards. Especially chapter 6 has some things that I know people are going to love.

Oh, yeah, I'm here for it. Now if you'll just sign this blood pact promising me interesting things in chapter 2-6... :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Space Quest 4's narrator is a strong, strong contender if we're counting all Sierra games, but QFG4 was great, yeah.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Hel posted:

As someone who's first exposure to the Feist world was Betrayal at Krondor, I think it worked pretty well.

Thanks, good post. I think you're making a good point on the difference dead on as to why BAK's start is stronger than Antara even with no prior knowledge of the setting.

PurpleXVI posted:

Expect more than the usual amount of swearing for the upcoming update. I simply can't believe the amount of drudge work and psychic deduction the developers expected of the players for this loving sidequest.

:allears: can't wait

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

editing game files :psyduck:

figuring out the rest of that quest :psyduck: :psyduck:

this tea bullshit is entirely normal, by comparison.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

the only thing I like better than long bullshit fetch quests for {{questitem.name}} are ones where they immediately undercut the value of what you just did by saying "hah I already had some!"

it's a cheap attempt at humor and it doesn't work

I'm not sure how that riddle worked either, but I bet somewhere you'll find a child character in a town 3000 kilometers away with a line of dialogue that could conceivably be the answer. that appears to be the level of lateral thinking and/or precognition the game wants :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

Turns out there is no logic! It's just a children's rhyme!

hahaha ohhhhhhhhh this game

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

How strange, the amulet seems to scare people. I wonder if it is, perhaps, associated with some sort of violent extremist group that by all rights and logic, at least two members of the party should be well-acquainted with and which the third could reasonably have heard of, too? Impossible.

the Nighthawks made it into this game too? :v:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Faux-nighthawks aside, I think they overreached with the (theoretically cool) idea of 'let's set an entire chapter inside a big city' because reading that update I could just feel the pain.

then again this game really feels like it overreached with a lot of theoretically cool ideas so it's consistent?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

..even though a bunch of BaK characters didn’t look like how the books described them.

Retroactively, the BaK book-game mismatch bothers me a lot less now that I've seen Antara :v:

but yeah, visually this game feels way too 'Always Brown' for the world and it's just got very little in the way of visual interest. It's very muted, with rare exceptions like Party Shirt Guy in this update. And I think that's a mistake! Bring back the vibrant blue and gold cloak moredhel; at least you knew exactly who to target first! Give me goofy Renfaire Locklear! At least things were distinct and interesting there.

(I'm not saying every shirt must be a riot of color, but a featureless expanse of blue is a wasted opportunity.)

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Feb 17, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I'm sure it can wait an update, though.

An update? Singular? Why, in my day...

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Reward tables aside, I think Liarstown was pretty cool. That's a nice little bit the game did there, so credit where it's due.

Hel posted:

It's a Starbucks joke, they took their name from a Moby Dick character, which Ishmael also is. See also Deus Ex 2 with Queequeg & Pequod and a few other games iiirc. Basically any time it's about drinks and Moby Dick names, it's a joke about Starbucks.

If it is, it's one hell of an early joke at their expense. I know Starbucks was founded in the 70s, but 1997 was before Starbucks' meteoric rise in store count and/or public awareness across the world. That said, Dynamix was in Oregon and Sierra was in California so it's entirely plausible because Starbucks was everywhere in the region well before they went global.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Feb 27, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

sb hermit posted:

Thank you for suffering through this game in our stead.

for real. What a weird game. I assume it must've been plagued with dev problems from start to finish because they were clearly capable of doing better, sometimes, they just couldn't or didn't do it for the other 8.5 chapters of the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

someone forgot which thread they were in and it's not Evil Fluffy!

it's still true and worth repeating: Antara bad. oof.