Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Watched the second episode and Jesus Christ I always manage to forget just how much the staff characters yammer in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm not a fan of the Lost in gameplay terms, they feel very binary in difficulty. Either they're a joke or they're a huge pain in the rear end and there doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Personally, the skirmishers are my favorite of the new group. X-COM 2 puts a premium on occasionally being able to haul rear end from one end of the map to another, and no one does that better than skirmishers.

The third faction are just kind of overpowered in my experience, and reapers are fun but I've never been sold on them being genuinely useful over another option.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Jake Solomon: We want aliens to be rare and special events, not the rank and file, they should always be the focus of the battle.

Jake Solomon: Also here's a dude with a pointy stick who will be your number one target in most fights.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like Total Combat, personally. I find it very handy for when I need the skirmisher to do a full move, but this lets them also throw a grenade in that turn as well. It's part of how I use skirmishers as hyper-mobile utility characters.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I always install a mod to make the Chosen stop talking.

It's one of my biggest irritations with X-COM 2: People never loving shut up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
There's also a 40k 4X game called Gladius: Relics of War. I picked up the base game and found it bare-bones but serviceable. I think it's since gotten expansions to add almost every army as a playable race.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Please. Please install a mod that makes Bradford stop talking.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Another good example of why Skirmishers are my favorite of the new classes.

Also, chatty cat providing co-commentary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I don't feel like Sparks have a good place in this game in general. I don't think a single one of X-COM 2's DLC actually improved the game, and Sparks are just... there. Even when I've tried to use them, I always end up phasing them out because competition for team slots is high and I feel that Sparks don't bring anything to the table that would warrant replacing another class.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Jake, I'm pretty sure that Hamburg is not in Finland.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Torchlighter posted:

They have a number of GDC talks about the design of XCOM, in one of which they mention that they wanted to avoid creating a situation where players 'optimised the fun out of playing'.

In my opinion, the biggest hurdle there was giving the player too much information about enemies. My dream expansion for Enemy Unknown/Within would have done two things: hide enemy health (probably with an allowance for gauging the rough state, like untouched or near dead), and introduce randomization of enemy abilities and statistics. Meaningful randomization. I feel like the game would have felt a lot more tense and tactically compelling if I couldn't ever be completely confident about what the enemy could do, much less being able to perfectly call what the enemy is going to do on their turn.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Narsham posted:

Not sure that would work these days. Original X-Com you couldn't see alien health, and it was non-trivial to find out how many hp aliens started with, so while most Sectoids died on one hit that occasional tough guy would take multiple shots without flinching and you couldn't see how.

Now, there'd be a Steam Workshop "show alien health" mod within a week, and unless you introduced a wide variation of randomness in alien hp everyone else would look up how many hits they can take and be forced to track them themselves.

Whereas casual gamers probably aren't paying much attention to the health bars anyway and, in the absence of a mod that turns them into numbers, might get surprised by an alien whose bar they misestimated.

I don't particularly care what people mod. They can mod games to be whatever they like.

What I think Enemy Unknown/Within missed most was uncertainty beyond the dice. I thought it was a real shame that every enemy had one pre-set list of stats and abilities, if you see them you know what they'll do or at least what they're capable of. I think the game desperately needed a feeling that you could never be completely certain of what's in front of you and what the aliens can do.

X-COM 2 also missed that, but it's a ways down my list of issues with the COMMANDER SOMEONE STUBBED HER TOE ON DECK FOUR YOU NEED TO GET DOWN THERE BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I like tracer rounds on pistoleers. Their damage is poo poo anyway, so using fanfire and whatnot to buff the team's accuracy is a good use for them.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've never seen Psionic Bomb used on civilians, templars, or people out of ammo.

It might be confirmation bias, but I think Codices are programmed to target people with ammo first and foremost for its ammo depletion effect. The explosion is a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
All that ballyhoo about the Hunter being super vulnerable to a templar in melee and she never made a single attack against him.