Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
36 is dumber than the ghostd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

a neat cape posted:

https://fxtwitter.com/jdavhill/status/1471664406430126082?s=21

hey gently caress you joe buck you piece of poo poo
That was some weird poo poo. Like, just wish the dude the very best.

Try not to whitewash it for the NFL by insisting he just needed a sweatshirt.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Mahomes is painfully average without Kelce or Hill

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Sutterer explaining the likely reason why Parham was shaking on the stretcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rlzokY2pZY&t=185s

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Very good Thursday game

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Staley got hired as a defensive guru and his defense is comically terrible

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Woozie66 posted:

Staley got hired as a defensive guru and his defense is comically terrible

Do you think you can give a new coach the same bad players and he'll just make them good in one offseason?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Magicpants posted:

what you talking about. you get a chip shot fg to end the half. then maybe a a 35-40yd at most in the 3rd. you miss that, they start basically where they get a kickoff. i dug the aggression at first, but this wasnt that kind of game, chargers didnt need the tds, they just needed to do what they were already doing in controlling the clock, winning field position, scoring points

Yeah, I'm with you on this one. This clearly wasn't one of those games where the Chargers had to go for it to keep up—through the first three quarters the Chargers' defense honestly did pretty well, holding the Chiefs to only 13 points while the offense was able to grind the clock down through long drives. Going for it on 4th down is always fun and exciting, but situationally the Chargers would have been much better served taking the points—especially at the end of the 1st half, when doing so would have put the Chargers up a full touchdown over the Chiefs.

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID
Pro overtime rules are bad. It's the second-worst rule in sports behind defensive goaltending in basketball.

By contrast, the pro pass interference rule is good. The college rule lacks the courage of its convictions - 15 yards and an automatic first down is still more than enough to change the entire outlook of any drive if the call is bad, and if the call is good, you've just given the defense a gift. If you want to tell me the catch isn't guaranteed, then fine. Get rid of PI as a penalty entirely and just call defensive holding. A fresh set of downs should be punishment enough if you're that concerned with preventing big icky penalty yard numbers.

I say bah to all of that. If pass interference is going to be part of the game, make it part of the loving game. Give me 50-yard Flacco specials. I want chaos. I want more scoring drives, and I don't care if they come through refball bullshit.

maruhkati fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 17, 2021

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That's some especially weak poo poo from lil bitch baby Joe Buck. Only been doing this 30 years

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Exactly.

That really wasn't the play right? Kelce just beats the coverage in the middle there...

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

a neat cape posted:

Do you think you can give a new coach the same bad players and he'll just make them good in one offseason?

They have already given up basically the same amount of yards as they did all of last year, and they've given up more TDs. I would've thought that he could scheme up something but it's just bad.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

He could start with a "how to tackle the dude with the ball plodding up field" as like, lesson 1.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Ross I'm sorry to inform you but Herbert is going to be Rivers 2.0 right down to never getting a ring because the rest of the team fucks him over somehow.

OK, he'll probably have fewer children than Rivers, but...

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Ross I'm sorry to inform you but Herbert is going to be Rivers 2.0 right down to never getting a ring because the rest of the team fucks him over somehow.

Andy Reid is a big mac and a balloon popping away from "retirement" and Billy 5 Aces will retire this year after he beats Tampa and Tom in the superbowl. So, like... if 4 other bad things happen they could luck into one.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

There are worse things than having 15 years of QB stability my dude

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

Your city losing their team to Los Angeles, for example.

Or the Tragedy of Darth Kaeding.

And this other tragedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL5X3TRA2A

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 17, 2021

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Seriously the team is miles better than they were last year, will probably win double digit games this year,and have won games that previous Chargers teams always ALWAYS lose. We split with KC and had chances to win the game and didn't. It happens. It's year one with an entirely new coaching staff and we have a franchise QB and a fun team and I'm going to goddamn enjoy it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

Seriously the team is miles better than they were last year, will probably win double digit games this year,and have won games that previous Chargers teams always ALWAYS lose. We split with KC and had chances to win the game and didn't. It happens. It's year one with an entirely new coaching staff and we have a franchise QB and a fun team and I'm going to goddamn enjoy it

And I will be hiding in the bushes outside your home whispering a warning that all glory is fleeting.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Your city losing their team to Los Angeles, for example.

Or the Tragedy of Darth Kaeding.

Said tragedy not even being in the same season as this other tragedy:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAL5X3TRA2A

I'm not sure what your point is here. It's not 2010 anymore

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Don't trust the Chargers. They will betray you.

dingo with a joint
Jan 12, 2019

wrong cow

a neat cape posted:

These are the two best QBs in the AFC

loving word. I think this is my main takeaway here. Assuming Pat doesn't internally collapse in on himself due to his family, I am looking forward to like half a decade plus of the two best quarterbacks in the league battling each other twice a year guaranteed.

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
Trying to rain on what little Ross has is weird. I'm sure he as much as anyone knows not to trust the chargers but he's still like gonna be a fan lmao

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

GenericMartini posted:

Trying to rain on what little Ross has is weird. I'm sure he as much as anyone knows not to trust the chargers but he's still like gonna be a fan lmao

Hes a weirdo who doesn't like that I still like the Chargers after they moved instead of like, not watching football anymore or something

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm not mad at you for liking the Chargers, Ross.

In fact, I'm not even sure what point I was trying to make. Forget I said anything.

syzpid
Aug 9, 2014

a neat cape posted:

yea, I had Jets Fans friends who hated Pennington to an absurd level. They celebrated when the team cut him. Since then it's been Farve, Sanchez, Smith, Fitzpatrick, Darnold, Wilson. Give me a noodle armed solid but not spectacular QB over this muderer's row.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i was sent a pm saying somebody is really mad at ross for liking the chargers. but i said i wouldnt say who it was or who sent me the pm, and i am a person of my word

edit for proof. goodnight all

Cavauro fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 17, 2021

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Cavauro posted:

i was sent a pm saying somebody is really mad at ross for liking the chargers. but i said i wouldnt say who it was or who sent me the pm, and i am a person of my word

edit for proof. goodnight all

:golfclap:

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Herbert doesn't even really remind me of Rivers at all. I think the only reason the Chargers lost was their D was totally gassed at the end and they lost the toss.

Here's how I think overtime should be changed. I've posted this before but have altered it a little bit.

If the team that wins the toss scores a TD they can either kick for one point or go for two. Then the other team will still get a possession.

So that other team now has to score a TD. Say they do. Now's where it gets interesting.

If the first team made a 1 point PAT that second team has to go for two. If team 1 missed that kick attempt they can go for 1. If both teams miss the kicks then the game is immediately ended and declared a tie.

If team 1 chooses to go for two then the best team 2 can do is tie the game. Because after that second TD and PAT the game is over no matter what. But if team 1 misses the 2 point attempt then team 1 of course can just kick for the win. I imagine team 1 would rarely go for two but I'm sure someone would.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
I really like CFL overtime rules. Each team gets a drive where the ball is spotted at the 35 yard line, and if you get a touchdown you have to go for two. No sudden death, each offence will get a chance to have the ball.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

edit:

I misread CFL as "College Football" :D

My rules are similar to the CFL rules then.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

a neat cape posted:

Hes a weirdo

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Patrick Spens posted:

I really like CFL overtime rules. Each team gets a drive where the ball is spotted at the 35 yard line, and if you get a touchdown you have to go for two. No sudden death, each offence will get a chance to have the ball.

I like this as it's mostly a modification of the college rules since college starts at the 25. You don't have to go for 2. I'm not a big fan of the new 2 point conversions only after two overtimes though. I'd possibly change it to start from the 50. That means a team has to gain at least some yards before they can even attempt a FG. 35 yard line is still in range for most NFL kickers.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
The previous version of college football OT was perfect, the only problem was with late games it was like man I need to get to bed already

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Bird in a Blender posted:

I like this as it's mostly a modification of the college rules since college starts at the 25. You don't have to go for 2. I'm not a big fan of the new 2 point conversions only after two overtimes though. I'd possibly change it to start from the 50. That means a team has to gain at least some yards before they can even attempt a FG. 35 yard line is still in range for most NFL kickers.

Oh its the offensive zone 35. Well I like that less I think teams should have to make an actual drive.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
The worst decision the Chargers made was not going for 2 after the touchdown that put them up 20-13. You are either going up by 7 or 9 with 10 minutes left, there's not a massive advantage to an 8 point lead with that much time left on the clock.

Also the playcall of "go spread and have everyone run 3 yard curls" on the 4th down from the Chiefs 28 was loving awful. The 4th down decision making was fine, I just wish offensive playcallers would stop calling plays that are specifically designed to only get them the first down and nothing more, it's so easy to defend.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

my idea is similar to the new USFL. OT should be an extra 10 minute period with the initial possession options being decided by coin toss. zero "sudden death" about it. it's extra time with no weird rules except one weird rule. the only way it can end before the time runs out is if a team goes up by more than 16 points. that's called the mercy rule because no one is going to score two TDs and two 2-point conversions to tie a game in presumably 7 minutes of game clock remaining at the very most and likely less than 5 minutes of game clock remaining. if anybody watching has to go to bed then go on to bed and see what happened tomorrow. that includes players. if any players have to go to bed then they're no longer allowed to play and can't be replaced on the field either. they have to choose a spot on the field to go to bed and aren't allowed to get up or move even if someone is going to trip over them or kick them in the face, balls, or elsewhere. no one is allowed to lie about their bedtime. it's checked once a week but veteran superstar QBs are allowed to just say what their bedtime is without actually being checked.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The chargers pass defense has been pretty bad since Asante Samuel Jr has been in and out of the lineup with concussions which speaks both to how good he has been and how not good the rest of the corners are

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The Chargers went for it on 4th down 5 times in that game, converting two and scoring TD's on those two drives.

If they instead had just kicked everytime like the cowards here wanted... they had the potential to score 15 points if they hit all of them, instead of 14.

Woooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

Going for it on fourth down rules, sorry