Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Kalli posted:

The Chargers went for it on 4th down 5 times in that game, converting two and scoring TD's on those two drives.

If they instead had just kicked everytime like the cowards here wanted... they had the potential to score 15 points if they hit all of them, instead of 14.

Woooo

It comes down to execution.... The first one is a TD if not for a fluke injury that knocks Parham out, the second is a walk in touchdown if not for a great defensive play by Sorenson. Both left the Chiefs backed up in their own end zone.

The one at the end of the half is the only one I sort of question, but Staley is at least consistent. The one out at the 30, everyone who's even casually followed this team knows that that's a coin flip field goal at beat because it's the Chargers.

Now, not going for 2 after that touchdown to make it 22-13.... that's a conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Chargers are converting 45% of their third downs, and 55% of their fourth downs. Both are top 10. But the way odds work means that there's going to be times where they just miss a bunch. As a Browns fan, I can also attest there are games where they don't miss a bunch. Football is way more fluky than most people want to admit.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Without Staley's aggressiveness on 4th down we don't win the first KC game, the Cleveland game, the Eagles gane, etc

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

It comes down to execution....

I think the best way to look at this is every decision the Chargers made last night scared me as a Chiefs fan. They all Enough of them worked out in my team's favor, but I didn't expect that to happen.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

My main takeaway wasn't "Chargers Doomed", it was "Ross isn't exaggerating about Derwin being amazing". Health is impossible for the Chargers (and everyone with COVID now), and that could be their great equalizer if the defense has new linebackers next year. Good God, they break down in the middle of the field.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Grittybeard posted:

I think the best way to look at this is every decision the Chargers made last night scared me as a Chiefs fan. They all Enough of them worked out, but I didn't expect that to happen.

Yup. The 4th and 9 in the first KC game worked out and the Chargers won. Things didn't break well last night and we lost.

The defense is incapable of dealing with Hill and Kelce with Derwin off the field. But it's year one. Let Staley start to let his defensive philosophy sink in and get some of his own players in. The run defense is already leagues better than what it was early this season

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The chargers desperately gotta finish cleansing the Seattle cover 3 from the defense

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

And I will be hiding in the bushes outside your home whispering a warning that all glory is fleeting.

Enjoy your moment in the sun while you can as long as it lasts.

For example my QB is washed and painfully average now.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it seems like the chargers made too many mistakes to win the game. But when i try to put that into the computer it says hindsight not valid. it won't accept it. it won't accept that they lost because they made all the right choices and moves either. i can't finish my work. i can't finish my work

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1471901271896453122?t=te-i6v9_13jxlOWde6NSMQ&s=19

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Cavauro posted:

it seems like the chargers made too many mistakes to win the game. But when i try to put that into the computer it says hindsight not valid. it won't accept it. it won't accept that they lost because they made all the right choices and moves either. i can't finish my work. i can't finish my work

I admit that you are very cute and clever, but in my opinion this particular take is wrong in a way to be interpreted as intentionally adversarial without explanation weird poster.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I read the last 15 pages of the gameday thread.

Whoooeeee some hot takes in there.

Mahomes was off and didn't play great and still put up 410 yards 3 touchdowns and a 110 rating and pretty much won the AFCW in the Chargers' stadium but Herbert is the best QB in the NFL with his 236 yards, two touchdowns 82 rating and the L

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Mahomes is old news now, he’s got a ring and is established with bonafides. Media/fans are looking for the next Mahomes, it’s sometimes Lamar, sometimes Josh, and now Herbert. He has a cannon and is really loving good

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Herbert is really loving good and throws beautiful passes, I don't mean to suggest otherwise. Also he had a rushing TD I forgot.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Yah I know you weren’t, just saying why Mahomes is called broken for a 250yd/0Td/2int kinda game when every elite QB has had 3-5 such duds a season.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Kelce did a lot of heavy lifting via YAC.

Mahomes still better tho.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thinking about all the hot takes over the years re: Tom Brady and I'm guilty as hell for doing the exact same thing I'm complaining about.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Chargers ground game was also working really well or I'm sure Herbert's numbers would look much better, just like they did when they won in Arrowhead

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean Mahomes is pretty broken right now

Though if he can fix himself since we know he can play

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Thank god he got over his bout of hypothermia.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

CharlestheHammer posted:

Pretty broken? If that’s the case defenses should stop flooding 7-8 dudes in coverage and playing safeties deep, dude can’t even complete a pass. Blitz him more, a broken QB won’t know what to do.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Pron on VHS posted:

Pretty broken? If that’s the case defenses should stop flooding 7-8 dudes in coverage and playing safeties deep, dude can’t even complete a pass. Blitz him more, a broken QB won’t know what to do.

You don’t need to be so defensive it’s fine

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is funny Mahomes has 4000 yards and 30 touchdowns with three games to go and correct me if i'm wrong but that's top ten all time Chiefs QB seasons.

The most TDs Alex Smith ever had in his career was 26. I'm not mad or anything, just fine quite comfortable with Mahomes' down season.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Alex Smith deserved to win a Super Bowl.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

No one deserves anything

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Still can’t believe Smiths leg looks like a chewed chicken drumstick for the rest of his life

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

If last night is considered broken count me in.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kalli posted:

The Chargers went for it on 4th down 5 times in that game, converting two and scoring TD's on those two drives.

If they instead had just kicked everytime like the cowards here wanted... they had the potential to score 15 points if they hit all of them, instead of 14.

Woooo

I mean I certainly am not saying that going for it on 4th down is bad (it does, indeed, rule), just that, situationally, there were times when the Chargers probably would have been better served taking the points. The beginning and end of the first half are really where it stands out for me—particularly at the end of the half, when kicking there puts the Chargers up a full score over the Chiefs. Like, yeah, going up two scores is great, but getting a 7 point lead in a game where your defense is already playing really well would have put the Chargers at a big advantage going into the half.

Also considering that the Chargers would have won the game if they had that extra point from kicking instead of going for it every time, I'm not sure that's the strongest argument you can make.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Still astounded at how bad our coverage on Kelce was after Derwin went out. Tyreek, fine, I get it. He can roast defenses with speed. Kelce is just a big dude why can't you tackle him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I mean I certainly am not saying that going for it on 4th down is bad (it does, indeed, rule), just that, situationally, there were times when the Chargers probably would have been better served taking the points. The beginning and end of the first half are really where it stands out for me—particularly at the end of the half, when kicking there puts the Chargers up a full score over the Chiefs. Like, yeah, going up two scores is great, but getting a 7 point lead in a game where your defense is already playing really well would have put the Chargers at a big advantage going into the half.

Also considering that the Chargers would have won the game if they had that extra point from kicking instead of going for it every time, I'm not sure that's the strongest argument you can make.

You’re assuming that they make every kick which, well the Chargers, and also that KC somehow doesn’t realize that they need 1 more point to tie and does everything exactly the same.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1471839539287281665?t=JPQ870GrTxk9bpl197yHCg&s=19

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

a neat cape posted:

Still astounded at how bad our coverage on Kelce was after Derwin went out. Tyreek, fine, I get it. He can roast defenses with speed. Kelce is just a big dude why can't you tackle him.

That's part of Kelce's whole thing. Dude gets a huge amount of YAC from a combination of being strong and a deceptively good runner in space. I think it's his weird wiggle combined with defenders' fear they'll bounce off him if they don't take the right angles with enough speed.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

The Puppy Bowl posted:

That's part of Kelce's whole thing. Dude gets a huge amount of YAC from a combination of being strong and a deceptively good runner in space. I think it's his weird wiggle combined with defenders' fear they'll bounce off him if they don't take the right angles with enough speed.

Give Derwin whatever he wants

https://twitter.com/billbarnwell/status/1471703815690891268?t=uDSRACd_tUp-wQSaFikiZQ&s=19

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

a neat cape posted:

No one deserves anything

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I have to say to the Missouri-side KC fans in here: holy poo poo were you all right on Bolton.

Nick Bolton: 14 tackles, 3 passes defended including a crucial stop and forced INT, a QB hit and 2 run stops at the LOS. He did this without Gay playing which...that's the first time I can remember him being good without Gay in

https://twitter.com/AndrewABC17/status/1471681073306345473

https://twitter.com/HayleyLewisKSHB/status/1471654121895870468

https://twitter.com/ArrowheadLive/status/1471848013819789313

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster

Kalli posted:

Woooo

and that point would have won the game. play situational football. inside the 5 is one thing, there if you turn it over then you leave the other team backed up and you got a good chance of getting the ball back with good field position to try the td again. some i liked, but staley was just going for it to go for it. they were in control of the game, they could have had a comfortable 2 score lead and ground the clock out. staley was so scared of mahomes coming back that he made desperate calls to let mahomes come back. its not like they went for it get a new set of downs to end the game, they got greedy chasing points and dug themselves in hole

kiimo posted:

I read the last 15 pages of the gameday thread.

Whoooeeee some hot takes in there.

Mahomes was off and didn't play great and still put up 410 yards 3 touchdowns and a 110 rating and pretty much won the AFCW in the Chargers' stadium but Herbert is the best QB in the NFL with his 236 yards, two touchdowns 82 rating and the L

mahomes hasnt stopped being a phenom but those stats dont tell the story of the game. this year he looks beatable after spending the last couple years as the consensus most talented arm to throw a ball. chiefs offense is very one dimensional, mahomes has no help in the run game and has an aversion to easy completions. mahomes has to evade a sack, scramble, hit kelce across the field who breaks 3 tackles for a 60 yd td. of course theyre so good they can make it work against most teams, but those plays dry up against smart defenses, as in the sb

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

No he didn't. He deserved to not win a supetbowl just like his career played out. Just like Philip Rivers and Dan Marino and Donovan McNabb

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Magicpants posted:

mahomes hasnt stopped being a phenom but those stats dont tell the story of the game. this year he looks beatable after spending the last couple years as the consensus most talented arm to throw a ball. chiefs offense is very one dimensional, mahomes has no help in the run game and has an aversion to easy completions. mahomes has to evade a sack, scramble, hit kelce across the field who breaks 3 tackles for a 60 yd td. of course theyre so good they can make it work against most teams, but those plays dry up against smart defenses, as in the sb

Tampa Bay was the first to employ the two deep safety defense against Mahomes that has been copied by everyone in the league. It's an adjustment for sure.

also he straight up had some lovely throws yesterday

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal

Magicpants posted:

and that point would have won the game. play situational football. inside the 5 is one thing, there if you turn it over then you leave the other team backed up and you got a good chance of getting the ball back with good field position to try the td again. some i liked, but staley was just going for it to go for it. they were in control of the game, they could have had a comfortable 2 score lead and ground the clock out. staley was so scared of mahomes coming back that he made desperate calls to let mahomes come back. its not like they went for it get a new set of downs to end the game, they got greedy chasing points and dug themselves in hole

Yeah pretty accurate. Mahomes needs to be okay with dinking and dunking, Chiefs need a better run game, and also frankly they need a better WR2. Pringle/Hardman/Gordon/Robinson are all below average.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Thank god he got over his bout of hypothermia.

I’m glad Parham seems to be fine (in a relative sense, I’m sure he’s going to be out for a bit dealing with the after effects).

Obviously it was exceedingly dumb of Buck to make the comment he did about the weather, but he also got put in a real bad spot by a producer out in the truck. After all, he’s not the one who told the cameraman to get in real close on a very unconscious player, nor did he choose to air the clip of him being wheeled out while he seizes. He’s the face of that production so he gets the bulk of the grief, but man if I was on that production team I think I’d be taking a long hard look in the mirror this morning.