Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So I was recently asked if I had any thoughts on the apparently ghastly colorblind mode in Tekken 8.

That type of game isn't really anything I'm playing (because I suck at it) so naturally I googled it and found some images (not a video because I'm not a complete idiot...most of the time anyways).

And err...
Yeah.

Yeah don't make your colorblind mode like that please.
Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I saw a still of that and I still don't believe it's real.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
On the plus side, I'll be participating in a video review of Tekken 8 and its effects on photo-sensitive people next week. No idea when it will actually be made publicly available, but it does give me a nice opportunity to reach a dev or two (hopefully anyways).

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

On the plus side, I'll be participating in a video review of Tekken 8 and its effects on photo-sensitive people next week. No idea when it will actually be made publicly available, but it does give me a nice opportunity to reach a dev or two (hopefully anyways).

You're only looking at stills though right?

Honestly that black and white mode is unpleasant to look at as a still, if I saw that moving I'd at the very least feel like I was getting a migraine.

I still get paranoid whenever I get my vision blown out by bright lights as the temporary spot is very much like the missing vision I'd get as an aura. Fortunately, and this is hopefully not a complete jinx, I haven't actually had a migraine for over a year now which I'm putting down to the meds so there's that at least.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Yeah, at most it will be frame by frame advancing or very very limited lengths of video. two or three seconds at a time limited.
Most importantly, the game footage will be sent to me, so I'm the one who can slam my hand down on the pause button if it is too much.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Guess who has a suspicion they didn't take one of their meds this morning, but if they didn't that'd mean they missed two doses because of how many are in the packet!

Idk if not missing one before would mean it's more or less likely that I'd miss two back to back than just one. If I didn't and I'm just imagining it then it means my "start the week with a new pack" cycle is broken.

I guess now I get a day of paranoia until it's late enough to reasonably take the next dose early. Fortunately time between doses doesn't seem to be an issue because day to day I'm usually 9 hours vs 15 hours between the two doses.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oooh I had issue one day too.
I did the stupid thing and took another dosage to be sure.
Then I read that follow-on paper in the package that basically called me stupid and advised me to call poison control.

Known side effects of over dosage was:
Dizziness
Fatigue
Nausea
Coma.

That last one feels like it deserves a liiiiiitle bit more attention.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

Oooh I had issue one day too.
I did the stupid thing and took another dosage to be sure.
Then I read that follow-on paper in the package that basically called me stupid and advised me to call poison control.

Known side effects of over dosage was:
Dizziness
Fatigue
Nausea
Coma.

That last one feels like it deserves a liiiiiitle bit more attention.

lol. That's like the bit in the leaflets for them all that says "by the way if you get a rash GO STRAIGHT TO HOSPITAL DO NOT PASS GO!". Or the one a friend pointed out had "psychosis" as a possible effect, I think that's one of the "last resort" drugs.

Anyway after a mild panic my wife pointed out that these things persist in your system for quite a while, and the withdrawal effects seem to largely be "seizures" so I'll just take tonight's earlier than I normally would i.e. not 2330.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Mine also warn that a known side effect is to make people photo-sensitive.

That's like getting anxiety from anxiety meds.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

SerthVarnee posted:

For years, benzos gave me paradoxical reactions. I would either become terrified of everything or Hulk out at the first annoyance. In 2019 I developed pneumonia and needed a bronchoscopy. I decided that letting them do that outweighed a couple hours of poo poo mood. But nothing weird happened! Bodies are weird.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

The initial effects of lamotrigine for me whenever increasing dose included absolutely wild levels of anger/irritability that I wouldn't be conscious of until afterwards when I'd be like "hmmm was that a reasonable reaction? Maybe not"

Then it just stops two weeks later it's all weird.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

SerthVarnee posted:

Mine also warn that a known side effect is to make people photo-sensitive.

A lot of antidepressants warn about suicidal thoughts as a possible side-effect

:rimshot:

Sorry if it's been mentioned in the thread, but what kind of countermeasures do you guys typically do for photosensitivity with internet browsing? Do you let gifs autoplay or do you have like a plugin that slows them down/stops them entirely? What about videos on websites?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
A friend of mine made this awesome app for me and others like me:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/photosensitivity-video-bl/epmpnnakndnajenpfacadlkbfinbamdk

It stops all gifs and similar from auto playing, puts a pause/play button over each and also forces videos to be unpaused three times before letting them play.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Tiny Myers posted:

A lot of antidepressants warn about suicidal thoughts as a possible side-effect

:rimshot:

Sorry if it's been mentioned in the thread, but what kind of countermeasures do you guys typically do for photosensitivity with internet browsing? Do you let gifs autoplay or do you have like a plugin that slows them down/stops them entirely? What about videos on websites?

Yeah it's a very common one but that's part of the whole "feeling better might increase ideation" thing I think. Epilepsy wise it's not an problem if you have no pre-existing issues as I think it's a rare and mild effect and like everything else, not everyone gets them and I guess it fades away like the other effects.

There's a lot of crossover between antiepileptics and antidepressants, many are used in both cases though for antidepressants they're as an adjunct to something else. Like sodium valporate is an activator for lithium as an antidepressant.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Antiepileptics sounds like something you'd dish out to get rid of the epileptic person, not so much a pill to help them manage their epilepsy.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

Guess who has a suspicion they didn't take one of their meds this morning, but if they didn't that'd mean they missed two doses because of how many are in the packet!

Idk if not missing one before would mean it's more or less likely that I'd miss two back to back than just one. If I didn't and I'm just imagining it then it means my "start the week with a new pack" cycle is broken.

I guess now I get a day of paranoia until it's late enough to reasonably take the next dose early. Fortunately time between doses doesn't seem to be an issue because day to day I'm usually 9 hours vs 15 hours between the two doses.

I use an app called MyTherapy to keep track of whether or not I've taken my meds because of ADHD, if that helps.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Weekly marked pill planners are good too, and some are pocket sized.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Okay just got done with the Tekken 8 review.
I can state with quite some certainty that Tekken 8 is not a game for me.
Whoof.
With the medicine it just left me a little lightheaded and slightly blurry-eyed from watching about 2 minutes of combat footage with the striping mode.

Without medicine I would absolutely certainly have had a seizure.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So Mr. Nice send me this link and asked me if that poster's sig was a problem for me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4041308&pagenumber=2965&perpage=40#post537175786

To put it mildly, yes. Yes that was a problem for me.
I've send Ohtori Akio a PM asking them to please get rid of that sig, but I am for obvious reasons not going to check in regularly to see if it has actually been removed.
Now it hasn't been more than half an hour since I sent that PM and I have that naïve faith in goons that assumes they'll just remove it since I asked.

If that doesn't happen within the next say week or so, could someone remind me so I can get that thing removed anyways?

Because holy gently caress, making an annoying sig specifically to annoy people is just not a good enough reason to give me and other people permanent brain damage.

Edit: okay they are making changes to accommodate my feedback, but I really wish the sig would just be removed entirely. Even if it does end up being fine for me, there is no way to guarantee that it won't harm others and I'm just not comfortable to giving my okay to it and having them think it is now perfectly safe.

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Jan 17, 2024

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It looks like it's been changed to a much slower blink and isn't quite the nightmare it was before.

Thanks again for what you do, Serth.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Can you still turn off signatures in the forum options?

e: Yes, you can!

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

SerthVarnee posted:

So Mr. Nice send me this link and asked me if that poster's sig was a problem for me.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=4041308&pagenumber=2965&perpage=40#post537175786

To put it mildly, yes. Yes that was a problem for me.
I've send Ohtori Akio a PM asking them to please get rid of that sig, but I am for obvious reasons not going to check in regularly to see if it has actually been removed.
Now it hasn't been more than half an hour since I sent that PM and I have that naïve faith in goons that assumes they'll just remove it since I asked.

If that doesn't happen within the next say week or so, could someone remind me so I can get that thing removed anyways?

Because holy gently caress, making an annoying sig specifically to annoy people is just not a good enough reason to give me and other people permanent brain damage.

Edit: okay they are making changes to accommodate my feedback, but I really wish the sig would just be removed entirely. Even if it does end up being fine for me, there is no way to guarantee that it won't harm others and I'm just not comfortable to giving my okay to it and having them think it is now perfectly safe.

I'm surprised you got a response, that guy's been getting chain probed for weeks

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I've passed this issue on to Jeffrey of Yospos.

This is simply to dangerous to gently caress around with just for the sake of "being annoying" and I'm not able to get that point through to them.

I can turns sigs off.
But Ohtori Akio is free to post anywhere on the forums, meaning their posts could be seen by someone who doesn't have an account or someone who has an account and hasn't turned off sigs in their user control panel.
This has the potential to get really ugly for no possible gain.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

https://www.pcgamer.com/tekken-8-pr...ere-discovered/

Looks like the Tekken thing is getting attention.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Mwahahah I've been talking at the internet again. This time it's a review of Tekken 8 and its various color filtering attempts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQUxIhXYVg

SerthVarnee fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 26, 2024

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I came down on lamotrigine and up on Lacosamide at the same time over the last couple of weeks which has definitely triggered some stuff, hopefully just temporary though.

Lamotrigine is going down because it was messing up my sleep, Lacosamide up because it seems to be having a positive effect on that I got some of the seizure aura (the extreme deja vu) but not the rest. Theory is that it's working but needed to be increased.

So now I get to play the waiting game on that one.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Meanwhile, I'm starting to measure age not in years, but in amount of pills I need to take per day.

2 54mg Methylfenidat for my ADHD
2 100mg Lamotrigin Actavis for my epilepsy
2-3 Klorzoxazon Evolan 250mg for the spastic cramp in my neck (this has been going on for 4 months by now and I'm pretty much open for suggestions up to and including amputating the left shoulder as a warning to the right shoulder)
2-3 Iktorivil 0.5mg for the same spastic cramp + 1 as needed.

The neurologist is still talking about a botox injection to make the cramping muscle sit down and shut the gently caress up, but he wants to book an appointment with me first to make sure there won't be complications. This is all well and good, but it has been 4 months and the best they can tell me is that I might be getting an appointment somewhere between march and may.

37 years old and they are talking about injecting botox. Honestly I never saw it coming.

Oh and the anxiety is real when thinking about the interactions between all the various meds. Nothing like adding another pill to the pile when some of them have side effects like skin necrosis and brittle bone disease.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

My wife regularly tells me to cool it when reading side effects as she has an actual medicinal chemistry degree and knows how the actual incidence of some of the listed side effects calculated, so for some (like osteoporosis that's listed as one of lamotrigine) it's like "yeah some people got it but it's not necessarily causal". Fun fact: you can actually report side effects yourself, maybe one day you can tip the scales from "incidence not known" to "rare"!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Also the Botox thing is not as rare as it sounds, it's apparently used as a treatment for migraines for instance. I know one person whose boyfriend had chronic teeth grinding and was getting it for that.

I *definitely* got cocky with "oh well the lamotrigine reduction just goes down every two weeks and clears", I have definitely had a rocky time as the last of the dose to get down to 100mg twice a day clears.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
actually it looks like the anti-cramping pills work like a charm. My neck only very rarely cramps up and only for very brief moments.

My roommate did mention that I am not allowed to take them before bedtime regardless of what the doctor said, because apparently while sleeping I take very very shallow breaths and snore in a worrying/sort of choking manner all of a sudden.

Oh and did you know that if you have an intense enough back cramp while sleeping you'll wake up with the darkness having been replaced by a green light? sort of a northern lights kinda thing.
That was...not great. But fortunately it has only happened once and that was before I got the anti-cramping meds.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Is that catathrenia? A bunch of these meds have vague "sleep disruption" symptoms and that's a breath related one. The one I seemed to get was "waking up at 4am desperate for a piss" which was either a side effect or I'm just getting old.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
It's the Iktorivil 0.5 mg one that I listed above.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SerthVarnee posted:

My roommate did mention that I am not allowed to take them before bedtime regardless of what the doctor said, because apparently while sleeping I take very very shallow breaths and snore in a worrying/sort of choking manner all of a sudden.

In someone with a very different medical history, this would be a clear indicator for a sleep study and a CPAP machine. In your case, not so clear. But if the drug that's causing those symptoms is providing a real benefit, then I'd suggest you talk to your doctor. A CPAP crushes the symptoms you describe and lets you get good sleep with healthy levels of oxygen getting into your bloodstream. That kind of breathing while you sleep does not. If someone sleeping in a different room says it's that bad, check in with your doctor.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Oh I only snore very very little.

I do talk a lot in my sleep though, which is fitting because I hardly ever shut up when I'm awake.

The issue also went away immediately when I stopped taking that particular pill within the last 8 hours before bedtime.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Yeah so adjusting two medications at the same time definitely causes effects who knew!

In addition to auras (but I don't think full seizures), the extreme bursts of tiredness have come back. Like it's a literal shutters come down fall asleep sitting up type thing. This happened before with the Lacosamide but went away quickly, seems to be lingering this time.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Guys! Guysguysguysguysgusy!

I get to do a Q&A with IO Interactive! I get to work with the people who made Hitman!
This is a big deal for me since their company is Danish just like me.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Nice! If I could think of a smart question I would ask it. What's the deal with Sean bean maybe.

I think the side effects of reducing one med are wearing off, I think I've had a couple of the aura things that didn't develop into full seizures and hopefully that's going to reduce further as things "bed in". The alternative is to go up another 50mg of Lacosamide which gets it to the max dose I think.

Also for some stupid reason they keep prescribing me only enough for a month at a time which seems ridiculous.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Haven't heard anything about Sean Bean. Isn't he the dude who specializes in being the character that gets killed mid movie/series?

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

SerthVarnee posted:

Haven't heard anything about Sean Bean. Isn't he the dude who specializes in being the character that gets killed mid movie/series?

They've had a bunch of their elusive target timed things that have him as one of them. I mean I don't think it's explicitly "you must assassinate Sean Bean" but it's his face etc.

I'm terrible at them and they're timed one chance only missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

Big Super Slapstick Hunk
So this is probably a long shot, but since Discord has been slowly throwing older images and gifs into the void, I'm down a good few visual examples.

Does anyone here happen to have saved or cached the oldest discord linked images in this thread?