Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Unity merged with ironSource (a company that finds innovative ways to insert ads into every-loving-thing) last year for pretty much the explicit purpose of doing this, and filling Unity with a bunch of other trash-tier ways for devs to monetize their games:
https://techcrunch.com/2022/11/07/unity-and-ironsources-4-4b-merger-is-now-complete/

Meanwhile its CEO made statements about how monetization should be the main focus of any game dev and said indie devs who don't put monetization first are "some of the biggest loving idiots."
https://www.thegamer.com/unity-ceo-game-dev-monetization-fcking-idiots/

I would not at all be surprised if future versions of Unity do something like charge the devs nickle-and-diming fees in several obtuse ways which the dev can sidestep by paying a yearly premium or by clicking an "enable ad-supported" toggle that makes the players watch ads regularly with all of the revenue going to Unity to cover the fees.

(Much like every "disruptive" software company that grows big, as soon as they "disrupted", got the market share and pushed several competitors out of business, they panicked because there was no more market share to gain and began tanking their product for the sake of their investors' returns - and they will probably be wildly successful because they do not have much competition anymore)

Unity has signed a contract with the US military to provide its simulation technology for defense purposes. The Unity Engine developer announced the three-year multi-million dollar deal in 2022.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Yosuke "NFTs are the future!" Matsuda is "stepping down" as President of Square Enix. He is being replaced by Takashi Kiryu who previously worked for a technology company devoted to researching emerging trends such as blockchain and web3.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
lol if they double down on NFTs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I admit I was laughing but now, well, I hope the new guy knows enough to reverse course on NFTs. Then again, who is worse, the Devil You Know or the One You Don't?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

The devil the company knows is making games, not chasing bad technologies.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

*hearing about how tarkov is infested with cheaters*

but what if we raised the stakes even higher so even more players will cheat :hmmyes:

https://twitter.com/DrDisrespect/status/1632436735849398272

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

repiv posted:

but what if we raised the stakes even higher so even more players will cheat :hmmyes:

I’m starting to think Dr. Disrespect might have falsified his credentials

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You only have to look at Dookey Dash to see how that would turn out. A bunch of people will pay large amounts of money for someone else to "win" for them and/or it will be infested with cheating. It would not be fun for the 99.9% of players who don't want to spend every waking second of their life trying to compete in the game or pay someone else to.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Yosuke "NFTs are the future!" Matsuda is "stepping down" as President of Square Enix. He is being replaced by Takashi Kiryu who previously worked for a technology company devoted to researching emerging trends such as blockchain and web3.

This is weird, inaccurate reporting that I do not know where it started. He came from Dentsu which is a massive advertising agency and worked in their strategic investment department, aka "learn about and invest in hot trends before clients pay to do it with someone else".

Does Dentsu own a bevvy of odd things like stakes in AKB48 and other entertainment media? Yes. Are they even remotely a blockchain company much less a tech company? Absolutely not. Youd be lucky if the average dentsu employee could figure out how to change their wallpaper background without calling a meeting with 10 other people.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

repiv posted:

And in the replies, the next handwavium iteration of "you'll be able to transfer NFTs to other games"

https://twitter.com/MichaelMumbauer/status/1632594085403049984

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Qwertycoatl posted:

And in the replies, the next handwavium iteration of "you'll be able to transfer NFTs to other games"

I mean yeah, the only working incentive is just money, you will code that helmet if the NFT guy gives you 1 million dollars worth of Etherium.

Now the correct question to that is where is that actual million in dollars coming from, loving aquaman?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Qwertycoatl posted:

These people are so, so dumb.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dude's getting deservedly pilloried in the replies.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

…setting up a machine learning algorithm to do the job would take significantly more work than just importing the item manually? And would require hiring talent that can easily contract for 4 figures an hour.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Fruits of the sea posted:

…setting up a machine learning algorithm to do the job would take significantly more work than just importing the item manually? And would require hiring talent that can easily contract for 4 figures an hour.

They think you can just ask ChatGPT to code all of that poo poo for you and you’ll have a fully functioning game front to back within an hour

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

I know this isn't gaming-related, but goddamn it all, I don't even know where else to vent and post this poo poo.

Imagine going to the website of my country's post office to look up a tracking code and seeing this huge banner:

"Collect the future, the first crypto postage stamp in Portugal! It's a collectible! It's an NFT! It's from us (CTT)!"

What in god forsaken world made them think this was a good idea? Grift :capitalism:

Look at all the spoooooky hax00r binary numbers

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Mar 6, 2023

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

To be fair, postal services are hurting bad because costs are skyrocketing. The only mail they handle now is e-retail packages.

CharlestonJew posted:

They think you can just ask ChatGPT to code all of that poo poo for you and you’ll have a fully functioning game front to back within an hour

Yeah no. Beyond labour, they’d also have to pay one of the big providers for ML and the pricing is probably crap unless they are doing it at a large scale.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

also unless your game steals and resells the nfts imported into it and somehow they're worth something,

why

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Because if you set up a machine learning procedural graphical asset generation process (easy) that massive group of nft gamers will flock to your game, netting you additional sales in the dozens!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it also avoids the point that you wouldn't necessarily want a ballistic helmet in your fantasy elf game even if someone owned one and it didn't take any additional effort to code.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You wouldn't want one but the NFT people absolutely do.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
what a wonderful chart
https://twitter.com/GreatCheshire/status/1635746780842164224?s=20

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Leaving aside everything else wrong with this (lol a real money marketplace yeah ask Blizzard how that one went)... I'm trying to figure out how holding onto an NFT to generate value for eventual sale, which seems to be the entire point of this game, works when they inevitably release a new character class or whatever and it's inevitably OP and it destroys the existing market. And what happens when they want to nerf that NFT for when another NFT is to be released that someone presumably bought (?) for real (?) money (????) - I know that Wargaming and Gaijin don't nerf premium ships and tanks because AFAIK the EU makes companies give refunds to customers on demand for doing that kind of thing. Which doesn't seem to square well with everything about this dumpster fire of a plan.

I suppose they could just keep releasing OP character after OP character or whatever but there won't be a playerbase let alone market if they do that.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The epic tale of four kingdoms locked in eternal struggle: the Spikes, the Normies, the Newts, and the Discord Moderators.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the Sell arrow originating from Step 6: Rare NFTs (not for sale)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Complications posted:

Leaving aside everything else wrong with this (lol a real money marketplace yeah ask Blizzard how that one went)... I'm trying to figure out how holding onto an NFT to generate value for eventual sale, which seems to be the entire point of this game, works when they inevitably release a new character class or whatever and it's inevitably OP and it destroys the existing market. And what happens when they want to nerf that NFT for when another NFT is to be released that someone presumably bought (?) for real (?) money (????) - I know that Wargaming and Gaijin don't nerf premium ships and tanks because AFAIK the EU makes companies give refunds to customers on demand for doing that kind of thing. Which doesn't seem to square well with everything about this dumpster fire of a plan.

I suppose they could just keep releasing OP character after OP character or whatever but there won't be a playerbase let alone market if they do that.

having a forever playerbase isn't really the goal with projects like this, it's to juice numbers for a quarter or two so the internal metrics show the company is making infinity-plus-one dollars instead of merely infinity.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Ghostlight posted:

I'm the Sell arrow originating from Step 6: Rare NFTs (not for sale)

My guess is that your earn those NFTs by playing, and you can sell them but not buy them directly from the game store. In other words, this is where the gold farmer bots break the game economy.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

For a company that runs an mmo you would think they would realize that if bots are capable of automating even part of their nft game it will crater the price of any goods through excess supply.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Klyith posted:

The epic tale of four kingdoms locked in eternal struggle: the Spikes, the Normies, the Newts, and the Discord Moderators.

*wearing the sorting hat* don't make me a mod don't make me a mod

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Kith posted:

https://www.gamesradar.com/square-enixs-nft-game-sounds-like-a-nightmare-nobodys-prepared-for/

https://twitter.com/LGG_DAO/status/1628952878487416832?s=20

the hair clipping through the hats IN THE PROMO ART is not inspiring confidence in this absolute loving disaster

I've often thought that a lot of anime-esque art was lazy, but THIS...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
CCP Games, developers of Eve Online have announced a new game.

quote:

CCP Games, creators of sci-fi spacefaring MMO EVE Online, announced today that $40M in financing has been secured from external partners. This financing will allow CCP Games to build upon the discoveries of its research & development team to enable the full-scale development of a new AAA title utilizing blockchain technology, set within the EVE Universe.

With key game systems developed on-chain, this new project will also leverage smart-contract blockchain technology, focusing on persistence, composability and truly open third-party development to create a new relationship between virtual worlds and players.

https://www.projectawakening.io/

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
If CCP had the ability to make anything besides EVE I would be concerned.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Some real "I bought a couple pallets of fidget spinners from Alibaba" in 2018 energy.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Given EVE's playerbase a NFT blockchain game from CCP would at least generate a whole lot of comedy

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Hahahahaha

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm more surprised they weren't already doing something like this.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Siliconera: Square Enix Announces FFVII Digital Card Collection with NFTs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When there was all that stuff about the CEO's interest in nfts this is basically what I expected it to amount to. There was all sorts of speculation about nft integration into FFXIV or whatever but just selling nft art is what Konami did and what i imagined this would all boil down to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

But how's symbiogenesis doing