Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
Elixir Games and Square Enix Partner to Boost Web3 Gaming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

quote:

MADRID, April 19, 2023 /PRNewswire/ -- Elixir Games, the leading web3 gaming distribution platform, has announced the formation of a strategic partnership with Square Enix focused on generating visibility and adoption of web3 games among traditional gamers. The partnership will allow millions of gamers to explore quality web3 games through a platform that hides web3 technology under the hood and offers a simple seamless experience to the traditional gamer.

So they're just making normal games with a hidden backend? Does not compute.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

SettingSun posted:

So they're just making normal games with a hidden backend? Does not compute.

That quote could mean anything, like maybe they are sticking hidden crypto miners in games.

But more realistically it sounds like they're trying to set up a framework for regular games to attach to that allows the transferring of NFT-based items from other games into the non-NFT-based games. Maybe?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Hides web3 under the hood" makes it sound like they want to make an actual real normal rear end square enix game and then just introduce nft bullshit into the cash shop, so they can scam normal consumers and not just crypto bros.
Unlike say most of the poo poo on Elixir's own website which the typical "web3 game" barely-a-game BS where you need to link your crypto wallet before you can even play the tutorial.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Looking at Elixir's own site, they tout two finished products: a game launcher, and a crypto-token battle royale title which I seem to recall coming out and dying on the vine. So I'm gonna suggest this is a case of "nobody knows what they're doing but buzzwords fill the air" until an actual hard product is announced. That PR statement just says "we're a big name" "we're already invested in you, because you are a big name" "yes".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

secretly best girl posted:

Looking at Elixir's own site, they tout two finished products: a game launcher, and a crypto-token battle royale title which I seem to recall coming out and dying on the vine.

I feel like saying No Way Back, which even with the qualification "game" added has less than a page of real google hits, "died on the vine" is overselling it. It was never even on the vine to begin with. But I guess it actually existed and therefor is a cut above most other web3 games.

My guess for why Square is doing a real with them is that anyone who had any success during the web3 craze crashed, rug-pulled, or is currently either under indictment or living in an undisclosed location. Or all of the above. These nobodies are the best left standing.
lmao