Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lammasu posted:

This NFT thing reminds me of emu ranching in the 90s. Huge money was moved selling them for breading but no one actually ate them.

This was a minor plot point or something in that hilarious B-movie love letter Eight Legged Freaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Grondoth posted:

It's just a pyramid scheme, basically. If you get in early you can get rich by selling off the stuff you bought early to people who came late.

It's so dumb.

Actually the real money is in owning the blockchain; the blockchain itself takes a fee for every transaction, so the more action a chain sees, the more money the creators make

So it's a scheme by blockchain creators to convince rubes to use their blockchain instead of that other person's, incidental wealth by early adopters is part of the attempt to get people to buy in to the new chains

It's scams all the way down lol

Edit: this is also why games with blockchain are only ever going to use their own chain and not someone else's, and why they don't just use a database. That would mean they miss out on that sweet fee action

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 20, 2022

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

NumptyScrub posted:

Actually the real money is in owning the blockchain; the blockchain itself takes a fee for every transaction, so the more action a chain sees, the more money the creators make

So it's a scheme by blockchain creators to convince rubes to use their blockchain instead of that other person's, incidental wealth by early adopters is part of the attempt to get people to buy in to the new chains

It's scams all the way down lol

Edit: this is also why games with blockchain are only ever going to use their own chain and not someone else's, and why they don't just use a database. That would mean they miss out on that sweet fee action

But even then there's no real point in the blockchain, most games with a market already do transaction fees without any blockchain stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

organburner posted:

But even then there's no real point in the blockchain, most games with a market already do transaction fees without any blockchain stuff.

But with a regular old market, you can't pretend you're participating in some groundbreaking new technology!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

raditts posted:

But with a regular old market, you can't pretend you're participating in some groundbreaking new technology!

This is the other big driver behind NFTs. It's the new hot thing that's being talked up, so investors with tons of money to blow hear about it and begin wondering why their investments aren't taking advantage of this radical new technology. All these big companies getting in on the NFT poo poo are almost forced to because their stockholders will begin making angry noises that the company is missing out on potential return on investment, even if said "new" technology is loving stupid garbage.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

https://twitter.com/alexmoss/status/1484138206291443714?t=jxZOBhilVU7zmo3gYgEsqw&s=19
:lmao: love that Decentraland is just more boring Second Life

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 20, 2022

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

no one bought the nft for a dance emote.

Or the guy who bought the nft for the only dance emote wasn't present.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
I kind of liked Snow Crash but I swear to God I want to go back in time and strangle Stephenson in his crib for coining metaverse.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I don't understand how these clowns aren't tremendously embarrassed when you look over at the stuff Epic is doing in Fortnite
Like I have no love for any of the people involved but imagine calling yourself the future when your competition is this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTiBp-ORNEo

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 20, 2022

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My take (you can stop holding your breath):

People who are excited about NFTs pretty much invariably

a) don't know what NFTs actually are or
b) are in on the scam

Most of the gaming related NFT talk I hear about is poo poo like "you get a sword in Dark Souls 4 but it's an NFT so you can bring it into Breath of the Wild 2!" which is obviously total nonsense (and, if those games decided to support that, it wouldn't require or even be helped by NFTs/blockchain anyway).

I think the NFT "interest" surge is mainly driven by two things. A lot of people saw that if you got in early on bitcoin you could be stinking rich for doing more or less nothing, and are feeling crazy FOMO about it. These people include big investors that control the boards of major gaming companies. But also, a lot of the hype is simply artificial. Early adopters are talking it up constantly to find bag holders to increase the value of their investments. The amount of people participating in NFT markets is absolutely miniscule compared to actual cryptocurrency. You wouldn't realize this just by looking at all the news coverage, but that's mostly driven by astroturfing done by people who are good at controlling the conversation in tech adjacent venues.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Most of the gaming related NFT talk I hear about is poo poo like "you get a sword in Dark Souls 4 but it's an NFT so you can bring it into Breath of the Wild 2!" which is obviously total nonsense (and, if those games decided to support that, it wouldn't require or even be helped by NFTs/blockchain anyway).

The only "useful" application of this idea that I can think of is if, say, Diablo 4 gives you legendary items as NFTs, then I could make my own game that reads those same NFTs and gives you equivalent items in my game (that I spent the time and resources to make, of course) and I don't think Blizzard could stop me in a technical sense. If I made my versions of the items different enough to be legally distinct then they might not even sue me for it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Triarii posted:

The only "useful" application of this idea that I can think of is if, say, Diablo 4 gives you legendary items as NFTs, then I could make my own game that reads those same NFTs and gives you equivalent items in my game (that I spent the time and resources to make, of course) and I don't think Blizzard could stop me in a technical sense. If I made my versions of the items different enough to be legally distinct then they might not even sue me for it.

I think this is only the case if we're in some weird scenario where a) Blizzard makes the items in Diablo 4 NFTs but b) doesn't want you to use those items in non-Blizzard games. In this scenario they can't stop you from doing that because the items are on the blockchain! But this doesn't make sense. If they didn't want interoperability what reason would they have to make them NFTs? Conversely, if they want me to be able to download my [Terrible Post] into Mario vs. Rabbids: Revengeance they could do that without using NFTs.

Amiibos are actually pretty similar to a lot of these proposed NFT applications, and in practice 99.9% of their value proposition is "own a cool Waluigi figure".

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Maybe in this contrived scenario, Blizzard does want interoperability, but not with any specific game - they've made the items NFTs as sort of an open-ended invitation to other developers to add support for them, in the hopes that it will make those NFTs more attractive to buyers. Eventually those NFTs could be supported by enough games that they're useful to have even if you never play Diablo 4, or even if Blizzard completely closes down and shuts off their servers. Perhaps they're part of a larger pool of NFTs that are expected to do something in a lot of games, with enough developers seeing this as a trendy thing that they add support for them ("Come play our game, we support all your NFTs!")

(I think this is a dumb gimmick that will probably never happen and isn't worth the many downsides including literally destroying the planet, but it does seem like functionality that a blockchain technically "helps" with.)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The promise of interoperability doesn't just rely on a developer deciding they need to code for the handling of unique out-of-game assets that do not make them any money, but also that they don't instead simply make their own NFTs that do.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The promise of interoperability doesn't just rely on a developer deciding they need to code for the handling of unique out-of-game assets that do not make them any money, but also that they don't instead simply make their own NFTs that do.

Yeah this only makes any sense if they have a plan for their own revenue stream and they're just using the promise of supporting outside NFTs as a lure to get people in the door. Also, the "support" could be incredibly lovely - less "bring the Moonlight Greatsword into Zelda" and more "you get an NFT Hat with colors procedurally determined by your NFT"

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Triarii posted:

You could also just make your game read the player's Diablo 4 save file and give them stuff, no NFTs needed.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Triarii posted:

Maybe in this contrived scenario, Blizzard does want interoperability, but not with any specific game - they've made the items NFTs as sort of an open-ended invitation to other developers to add support for them, in the hopes that it will make those NFTs more attractive to buyers. Eventually those NFTs could be supported by enough games that they're useful to have even if you never play Diablo 4, or even if Blizzard completely closes down and shuts off their servers. Perhaps they're part of a larger pool of NFTs that are expected to do something in a lot of games, with enough developers seeing this as a trendy thing that they add support for them ("Come play our game, we support all your NFTs!")

(I think this is a dumb gimmick that will probably never happen and isn't worth the many downsides including literally destroying the planet, but it does seem like functionality that a blockchain technically "helps" with.)

They could also just add a public inventory api, so other games/software could query blizz's servers to see what's in your diablo inventory without needing a blockchain.
In fact Bungie already does this with Destiny 2 -- there are third-party websites like Destiny Item Manager use Bungie's api to display your inventory and even move stuff around or equip it.

Right at this very moment you could create a lovely web game that gives you +25 to damage if your Destiny character has a matching-element shotgun equipped. But nobody wants to do that.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In addition to Destiny, Steam has an account level inventory and API. So while it is just a lot of TF2 hats, I imagine there is nothing preventing a developer from using it to have account level items across multiple games.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

This NFT thing reminds me of emu ranching in the 90s. Huge money was moved selling them for breading but no one actually ate them.

It wasn’t just the meat but also the Fat which was supposed to be big money. The problem was the cost of the feed to feed the fuckin things and also the fact that no one was actually killing them so there ended up being loads of people with fat birds that no one could do anything with.

You had to keep feeding them a lot to keep that fat on them.

In the end the fat is worth a poo poo load but the meat is worthless.

Chloe Jessica posted:

there was an emu field in the woods behind my house when i was a kid, it was pretty surreal

this was in the 00s though, did the fad carry on that long?

Yeah it was still going then.

My dad ended up making money off the emu deal but it was a long hosed up road to get there.

Emu fat is actually valuable now but there aren’t many people producing it at this point.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well now Im curious as hell, whats special about the fat?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Barudak posted:

Well now Im curious as hell, whats special about the fat?

It has really really good transdermal properties and it’s been amazing for burns.

It’s really good stuff actually.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

It wasn’t just the meat but also the Fat which was supposed to be big money. The problem was the cost of the feed to feed the fuckin things and also the fact that no one was actually killing them so there ended up being loads of people with fat birds that no one could do anything with.

You had to keep feeding them a lot to keep that fat on them.

In the end the fat is worth a poo poo load but the meat is worthless.

Yeah it was still going then.

My dad ended up making money off the emu deal but it was a long hosed up road to get there.

Emu fat is actually valuable now but there aren’t many people producing it at this point.

I had an emu burger at the county fair once. It wasn't bad. Didn't taste like chicken but wasn't bad.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I had an emu burger at the county fair once. It wasn't bad. Didn't taste like chicken but wasn't bad.

Emu is red meat which is kinda unique. It’s also really lean and super easy to over cook.

I’ve had enough to last me a lifetime and I’ll never eat it again. I don’t care how healthy it is.

It’s really good for pet food though which is what ended up happening with most of it.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

MarcusSA posted:

Emu is red meat which is kinda unique. It’s also really lean and super easy to over cook.

I’ve had enough to last me a lifetime and I’ll never eat it again. I don’t care how healthy it is.

It’s really good for pet food though which is what ended up happening with most of it.

I'm surprised they aren't pushing it again as some kind of compromise between eating cows and insects.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
So I just saw they are opening an NFT restaurant in New York which sounds like the stupidest God damned thing ever.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

What does an NFT taste like?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Lammasu posted:

So I just saw they are opening an NFT restaurant in New York which sounds like the stupidest God damned thing ever.

Must restaurants are doomed to failure within a year, and I have no reason to believe that won't be the case here as well, assuming it ever opens.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Lammasu posted:

It, like every other nft thing, is just a regular thing with dumb buzzwords attached. In this case it’s just a fancy dinner club for rich people, but with the latest stupid acronym attached

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You have to have an NFT to get into the restaurant, but they only accept regular currency for some reason.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

ultrafilter posted:

You have to have an NFT to get into the restaurant, but they only accept regular currency for some reason.

Uh, weird.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

BUH MUH FUTURE CURRENCY

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKzup7XDyq8

this guy posted on linked in and then went on a rant on youtube instead of answering comments.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

lol
Crypto reinventing capitalism speedrun chugs on
https://twitter.com/NFTethics/status/1486077323317235715?s=20

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
some kind of Crypto and Exchange Supervisors (CES)

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I guess I'll post the softball interview one of the Ubisoft VPs did complaining about people not wanting their poo poo

Ubisoft responds to angry NFT Digits and Quartz reaction – Interview

Finder posted:

Gamer feedback to the Ubisoft Quartz and Digits launch has been generally negative. What has the feedback told you about the prospects of mainstream NFT success?
Nicolas Pouard: Well, it was a reaction we were expecting. We know it's not an easy concept to grasp. But Quartz is really just a first step that should lead to something bigger. Something that will be more easily understood by our players. That's the way we think about it and why we will keep experimenting. We will keep releasing features and services around this first initiative. And our belief is that, piece by piece, the puzzle will be revealed and understood by our players. We hope they will better understand the value we offer them.

Well, let's talk about making sense of it. What do you think is the big positive that gamers are missing about what NFTs like Digits can offer them?
NP: I think gamers don't get what a digital secondary market can bring to them. For now, because of the current situation and context of NFTs, gamers really believe it's first destroying the planet, and second just a tool for speculation. But what we [at Ubisoft] are seeing first is the end game. The end game is about giving players the opportunity to resell their items once they're finished with them or they're finished playing the game itself.

So, it's really, for them. It's really beneficial. But they don't get it for now.

Also, this is part of a paradigm shift in gaming. Moving from one economic system to another is not easy to handle. There is a lot of habits you need to go against and a lot of your ingrained mindset you have to shift. It takes time. We know that.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Jan 28, 2022

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You can already sell your old cosmetics on the Steam market without bringing crypto poo poo into it and a lot of the time it's not even worth it because they are worth 1 cent each.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
"You can sell games when you're done with them" sure is a bold statement to explain why this new thing is nessicary.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Grondoth posted:

"You can sell games when you're done with them" sure is a bold statement to explain why this new thing is nessicary.

No, no, you can't sell the game. You can sell items from in those games for real money via a competitive bidding process. A real money auction house, if you will. With ~~blockchain~~

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

TOOT BOOT posted:

You can already sell your old cosmetics on the Steam market without bringing crypto poo poo into it and a lot of the time it's not even worth it because they are worth 1 cent each.

Yeah the Steam marketplace has had the exact features this moron is crowing about for cosmetic items for a decade and it's basically not even worth the effort of engaging with most of the time because only brand new or nearly unobtainable items go for more than like 20 cents. You don't need blockchain poo poo to do this.

As for actual in-game items, the catastrophic failure of the D3 RMAH shows exactly what happens when you let people sell in-game non-cosmetics for real dollars.

Grondoth posted:

lol, he's not even talking about selling the games when you're done with them, he's talking about selling the items when you're done with the game. Companies don't like the idea that players might own the game they're playing because they've been at war with the used games market for 20 years now(and the ascendancy of digital basically means they've won).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

But the endgame is clearly not for players to sell their items. It's for players to buy items.