Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat this dude with the Elon Musk quote picture on his wall seems cool as gently caress
Look at it as "Even a dude with an Elon Musk quote picture on his wall was able to do this".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Do you think star citizen would have gone all in on NFTs if the timings had been different?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
A pox on these monkeys!

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Yeah. Blockchain poo poo brings nothing to the table. It can't magically force gaming companies to start supporting poo poo across different games and from their competitors' games, and if game publishers wanted that poo poo, it would be happening right now, because it's been technically feasible for the past 25 years or so.
The Rift MMO has (had? Haven't played in ages) a mobile game where you'd send your little pet dudes off on adventures for in-game items. Also what was the FPS that flopped that was supposed to impact the global map of another game in the same universe? None of this is new and it's been done without ~blockchain~

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I mean it also breaks down on a far more simpler level:

I'm not modeling, texturing, rigging, and doing the rest of the work to implement your fantasy MMO asset into my space game, especially if we're not even owned by the same publisher. Let alone every game doing it for every item.

Like, game assets are more and more complicated and even when they weren't as complicated moving them from one thing to another wasn't just copy paste. God help you if it's a different engine that swaps the loving X and Z axis.
This is the thing that always cracks me up. The absolute fundamental lack of technical, financial, and frankly everything knowledge about games exposed by thinking this could work is just astonishing. Completing the first module of even the most bargain basement "how to maek gamez" tutorial would reveal how this flat just doesn't work, never mind having done literally any actual programming.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

repiv posted:

that's right, they didn't copy the gamecube logo

they copied the poliigon logo

https://www.poliigon.com/
The gamecube is a cube shaped game console. The logo is a colourful letter G made of cubes, the animated version is a cube drawing a G. It is a Game Cube and the cube creates your gaming experiences.

Poliigon is a 3d modelling resource distributor. The logo is a flat hexagon containing a P containing a 3d effect cube. Poliigon turns flat assets into 3d models.

The polium one is an irregular oblong shaped game console that does not exist. The logo is a grey cube with P in it. It is a dull featureless knockoff showing no understanding of the source material and contains piss all.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 5, 2022

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

AG3 posted:

The US Government took this lesson to heart at least.
IIRC Will Wright was horrified to find out people were using Sim City as a political gimmick in some mayoral election I'm the 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

DerekSmartymans posted:

The best thing about NFTs mixed with techbro C-level executives is that not only do NFTs fail, but they actively drive current customers away! Like many gamers will actually never buy anything from your company again, because of a loathing of crypto/NFTs as an ecosystem.

NFTs are bad, but the whole entity needs to die in a fire. Not one caused by tinderbox vegetation, either :argh:
A place I used to buy physical items from sent out a "We're doing NFTs of our stuff!" email and I emailed back explaining why I was never buying anything from them ever again. Apparently I wasn't the only one because the announcement never even hit their website. I still don't buy from them anymore though, they were dumb enough to let it get that far so I no longer trust them with my credit card info.