Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BrianRx posted:

Why didn't these companies go all in on hats in the last decade if selling imaginary video game objects is the wave of the future? There was a huge market for goobers who wanted to spend thousands of dollars on a render of a knife with a camouflage hilt in the 2010s. This is just a more complicated and fragile way of doing exactly the same thing. What am I missing?

Because Valve already owner the hats and there was no investor storytime of how people could get in the ground floor with them.

There is literally 0 benefit to NFTs for videogames that could not be better handled by a centralized database, or to my amusement with the ubisoft stuff, is handled by a central database but we pretend the NFT does something other than help waste the earths limited resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So apparently Quartz (Ubisofts NFT program) has sold all of 15 things for 400 total dollars total all sales summed up since launching. Which is good because its in line with the other "NFT market is real right?" Outcomes from hollywood trying to get in on it are doing which hopefully helps convince bean counters theres only money in it if you're willing to run a scam.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

To keep them rare or whatever you apparently need 600 hours or something insane in the game to qualify for purchase but again, if they know that about you they don't need the nft

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If I wanted to invest in a game in development, isnt that what Fig was for?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

With this additional information, please, friends, lmao

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Also, getting in early means "being the person who created the NFT"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well now Im curious as hell, whats special about the fat?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Anora posted:

This is just Kickstarter again, except instead of getting Bloodstained and Hollow Knight, you get nothing, ever.

Yes, and it is hilarious every single time.

I just mentally replace "we are making an mmo" with "we will make you 14 again" because its what they want and both are equally likely to happen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Aren't most of these just straight up money laundering?

Their bigger fool scams too. Why not link all your dirty stuff together?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

So, the president of El Salvador invested heavily in Bitcoin and now the country might have to default. Think they will parade his corpse through the streets?

Finally, Microsofts next acquisition target, countries

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lammasu posted:

I just realized episodes of Teen Titans Go! exhibited a better understanding of economics than cryptobros.

Its a legitimately clear explanation and how and why it results in extremely unethical behavoir.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Square Enix using that Eidos sale money to invest in bitcoins, hoooray

Barudak
May 7, 2007

secretly best girl posted:

hey so uhhhhh speaking of that company and NFT poo poo:

https://twitter.com/churroz/status/1549885670398627840

Ahahaha. Everyone kept saying their CEO just said that NFT/Crypto stuff for the investors. No way baby, time to run this into the ground.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Clarste posted:

My guess is that they're dipping their toes in and seeing if NFTs make things sell better.

Still laughing at Chevy trying this and having 0 bids despite the customer also getting a car. They then extended the auction and got... 0 more bids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MH Knights posted:

Yosuke "NFTs are the future!" Matsuda is "stepping down" as President of Square Enix. He is being replaced by Takashi Kiryu who previously worked for a technology company devoted to researching emerging trends such as blockchain and web3.

This is weird, inaccurate reporting that I do not know where it started. He came from Dentsu which is a massive advertising agency and worked in their strategic investment department, aka "learn about and invest in hot trends before clients pay to do it with someone else".

Does Dentsu own a bevvy of odd things like stakes in AKB48 and other entertainment media? Yes. Are they even remotely a blockchain company much less a tech company? Absolutely not. Youd be lucky if the average dentsu employee could figure out how to change their wallpaper background without calling a meeting with 10 other people.