Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Omobono posted:

And with this there's always the slithering thought: is it wrong to enjoy Ultima 4 to 7 (and SI)?

I maintain that there should be a rich & famous escape clause for art vs artist separation: if an artist you liked became a much worse person after gaining wealth and fame, it's ok to just pretend they died instead. Enjoy the art they made before they died, and ignore whatever the weird rear end in a top hat with the same name is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kanos posted:

It's funny because we even have a real life example of why a company would never, ever want to consent to something like this, though not directly in the video game sphere. Wizards of the Coast introduced a concept called the Open Gaming License which let anyone they wanted publish books compatible with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 as long as they didn't utilize specific things(like certain monsters) that Wizards reserved for the brand itself. This ultimately led to Paizo creating Pathfinder as their own full D&D 3.5 spinoff/successor, which then took wings and found massive success when D&D 4th Edition was controversially received. Pathfinder is now probably the second biggest tabletop RPG in the business after D&D, and it only exists because of the OGL.

Speaking of which, D&D on the blockchain! With NFT player characters!

Have you ever wanted a +5 Vorpal Sword, but your DM is stingy with loot? Buy the NFT! Play your character into a level 20 paladin/mage munchkin? Sell them for profit!

This is exactly how tabletop games work, why are you looking at me like that?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The people he's teaming up with have a different game in development already. In that game they have a cryptocurrency, character NFTs, weapon NFTs, land NFTs, and lootboxes. They've announced a VO actress, a soundtrack composer, and hired a cosplay model.

The game so far:
https://twitter.com/PolkaFantasy/status/1518545358518849542

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

lmao gamestop is gonna take all the money they got from issuing new stock to their ape army of cult investors and dumpster it on crypto-scams and NFT grants

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Kikas posted:

Look, there is only one thing you need to check if a scummy practice like NTFs is commercially viable for games: Is EA doing it?

The answer, for now, is a big fat "no". So if the biggest microtransaction giant on the market is not interested in the "hot new technology" it seems it's not the hot.

Nah. Because the other thing about EA is they don't take risks, can't innovate for poo poo, and are always late to everything. Often so late that the party's already over by the time they arrive.

EA made a star wars mmo and it was the signal that mmos were pretty much over. EA was trying to make a moba but were still working on it in 2014 (peak moba) when they cancelled it. EA made a live service game and it flopped, because Anthem was up against games that had gotten years of polish work. They made VR games in 2020.

The only reason EA has a successful battle royale game is they bought respawn from outside.

So based on history, EA is working on a blockchain game right now and will announce it about 5 minutes before everyone else announces they're shutting down their NFT projects.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splicer posted:

This is the thing that always cracks me up. The absolute fundamental lack of technical, financial, and frankly everything knowledge about games exposed by thinking this could work is just astonishing. Completing the first module of even the most bargain basement "how to maek gamez" tutorial would reveal how this flat just doesn't work, never mind having done literally any actual programming.

This also explains why the one guy who 100% knows the massive technical problems, and yet is still hyping "the metaverse", is Tim Sweeney.

Because if a plausible form of the metaverse happens, it's probably everyone running on UE with Epic making the standards for portability, and Epic is the next Microsoft.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Popete posted:

I'm no investor whizz but in the situation where Citadel was "forced" to buy stocks at millions of dollars per share would they not just go bankrupt and never purchase back the stocks?

Yes. Which is exactly what happened to Melvin Capital, the hedge fund that had the biggest short position in Gamestop back in January 2021. Except they didn't just declare bankruptcy, and they didn't buy stocks from rubes for a million dollars per share. Instead they went to even bigger fish of wall street and did a deal.

Citadel "invested" $2 billion into Melvin. Invest means you're getting a portion of what you invest in.

Melvin Capital at the beginning of 2021 had ~$8 billion. They lost 50% of it during the short squeeze, effectively $4 billion. Where did that $4 billion go? To Citadel, and to other large investors. They settled up among themselves, unwound all the shares back through all the layers of shorts and options. Everybody got a little taste of that $4 billion. Because they're all big enough and have enough trade volume that they can do that sort of thing.

Why? Because they all know that Gamestop isn't worth the price it was trading for. But these mammoths can't dump shares to take profit -- the redditors don't have enough money to absorb a billion dollars in shares. This way they get paid without having to actually do anything. And they can slowly sell into the spike for more profit.

Why? Because it cuts out all the idiots demanding a million dollars per share. All the robinhood rubes are holding paper. They can demand the moon, but if someone with an equal number of shares says "eh I'll take $50/share to cover your short" then they don't get the moon, now do they?

This isn't a conspiracy, this is the prisoner's dilemma. The WSB idiots are saying "we will hold GME till we die or go to the moon". The big fish are saying "will defect for reasonable fees". If I defect and take a lower price and you don't, I make all the money and you get hosed. That's how the market works.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
God loving dammit Will, what happened to "I make toys not games, I want to teach kids to experiment and be creative with gameplay"??? Guess it's time to teach the kids about gambling and FOMO!

If Sid Meier starts a blockchain / nft game studio my inner child will loving hang itself, I swear to god.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FishMcCool posted:

Well, with Spore, he already has an industry track record in overpromising/underdelivering, which likely makes him a perfect fit for NFTs.

He was the first to discover that infinite procedural generation can't actually generate gameplay. Considering that people are still making that mistake today, IMO he totally deserves a pass on Spore.

(And it wasn't a terrible game, more of a victim of it's own hype.)

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I'm not that surprised. Hasn't he always described himself as libertarian?

Did not know that, it would seem to be at odds with his non-commercial tilt & lots of talk about education.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lammasu posted:

People that see themselves as innovators want to keep innovating even if it's something stupid.

That's some bullshit. Will Wright was the lead on 2 or 3 of the most important games in history, and the 10th best selling franchise of all time. He had one meh game while working at a company that is constantly poo poo on for running their studios into the ground. If he wanted to innovate realistically there are plenty of people who would sign that check.

The common thing with Molyneux, Garriott, and Roberts is they have no sense of what they can achieve with their teams and resources. They make disasters because they have zero real innovation besides "it's gonna be huge, the best game ever". So they turn into con-men just from a lack of any other idea.

(Though I don't even know how much Garriott actually has to do with the last few projects he's put his name on. Was he the main guy for Shroud of the Avatar, or was he just cashing in to be more of a spokesman? Seems like it would be hard to lead a dev team from space!)

Maybe Wright has turned into one of those guys, but drat that's sad. And I'd think he could get more than 6 mil if he really wanted to run a con.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Meanwhile, Square Enix continues to insist that blockchain is a good idea and all the pie-in-the-sky ideas about nft games will happen in 2023.

lmao

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

That's kinda reaching when it's just a bunch of NFT poo poo in the third-party store getting a highlight page.

Unreal has NFT poo poo in their third-party store too. No special highlight page or verified tags -- though it doesn't look like Unreal does verified tags to begin with. So despite how Epic was kinda "pfft :jerkbag:" about NFTs in public commentary, they have zero opposition to making a buck off the poo poo being supported in their ecosystem.

IMO it's mostly funny that Unity is rolling out a pro-NFT ad 6 months late. Very Unity.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

The epic tale of four kingdoms locked in eternal struggle: the Spikes, the Normies, the Newts, and the Discord Moderators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

secretly best girl posted:

Looking at Elixir's own site, they tout two finished products: a game launcher, and a crypto-token battle royale title which I seem to recall coming out and dying on the vine.

I feel like saying No Way Back, which even with the qualification "game" added has less than a page of real google hits, "died on the vine" is overselling it. It was never even on the vine to begin with. But I guess it actually existed and therefor is a cut above most other web3 games.

My guess for why Square is doing a real with them is that anyone who had any success during the web3 craze crashed, rug-pulled, or is currently either under indictment or living in an undisclosed location. Or all of the above. These nobodies are the best left standing.
lmao