Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

If I'm playing game with NFTs and I see somebody with NFT gear, I will do all that I can to grief that person. I hope that a lot of other people will do the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Hub Cat posted:

Checking in on Web3 sounds like everything is going great
Mark Zuckerberg’s ‘metaverse’ business lost more than $10 billion last year, and the losses keep growing
How Facebook Is Morphing Into Meta

Mr. Zuckerberg showed off his idea of the metaverse in October, with his digital avatar playing cards with the avatars of others — plus a robot — in the virtual world

Seems like every throw money at the problem to "find the fun/product" process-less horror story I've ever heard

Its just Second Life and Playstation Home all over again, except Metaverse also needs an expensive VR headset. Oh, and it will steal as much personal data as it can.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Barreft posted:

It makes no difference if it doesn't become what it was meant to. I'm talking pure money profit as a success. I don't think there will ever be a FB-verse, neither does Facebook. Just like I don't think Star Citizen/NFTS/Bitcoins/Tesla,Boring,SpaceX are ever going to deliver anything.

People are still stupid as poo poo and make them crazy amounts of money.

SpaceX is already working (That's because Musk is too much of an idiot to even pretend that he is a rocket scientist).

I don't think that Metaverse will ever be profitable enough to justify the amount of resources Facebook is investing in it. At best it will be moderately profitable, but at the cost of losing focus on Facebook's main business.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

MadHat posted:

That is actually less stupid than normal as instead of pretending it is an actual thing they are just skipping right to what it actually is.

Still more stupid than an actual Certificate but at least it is not going that extra dumb leap of claiming the NTF has value itself I guess?

I just don't see what Square Enix gains from this, unless they are cheaping out on the quality of the figure and they expect people to buy it because it comes with a NFT.

Maybe they expect it will introduce people to the idea of NFTs and might be more willing to buy worthless JPGs if they buy a figure that includes one?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

King of Solomon posted:

The extra confusing thing is Ubisoft already tried NFTs and it loving bombed. Why in the world do they expect this to do any better?

Because they really really want this to work. If they can make NFTs a thing, they can make a lot of money with barely any effort.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Lammasu posted:

Can't they just cancel it? I mean Discovery canceled the Batgirl and Scooby Doo movies.

Its the president of Square Enix's pet project, and they sold off a bunch of popular franchises to fund it. No way is he going to admit he majorly hosed up.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

ultrafilter posted:

Nier and related games.

Square Enix is really determined to run that poo poo into the ground. So many Nier crossovers with other games. it even got a lovely mobile game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

kirbysuperstar posted:

Oh no, a mobile game. Truly, a mark of shame against any IP, especially a Japanese one.

Just because its common doesn't change the fact that its a lovely cash grab lol.