Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[The contents of this post reserved as 1of 3,000 limited edition NFT drops]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The difference is this way the money laundering is built directly into the item economy instead of having to be built alongside it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

So, looking at NFT's from an intellectual property law perspective, one could argue that NFT's are a way to prove ownership of intellectual property over an artwork.

For example, let's say you're a digital artist selling smut commissions online. Under a lot of legal systems, the artist keeps the intellectual property rights (eg they can stop unauthorized third parties from altering the image, profiting off of it, resharing it etC. without their permission) but you can legally "sell" the intellectual property rights (for example, the person commissioning the art piece) so they can use it for whatever they feel like (eg, using it on their company website, for advertising, etc.) One of the issues in litigation is the burden of proof: it's not too problematic in fight between parties A and B themselves (the purchaser can point to the contract by which they bought the IP) but things get messier when, for example, the original artist (or an agent claiming to represent them) tries to get a third party (eg a hosting website) to remove content that was allegedly uploaded without permission. The third party has no real way of knowing who sold their IP to whom.

My understanding is that NFT's could be used as a public registry to prove that ownership has been transferred from party A to party B, so that when party B goes to court they can point at an NFT (similar to how you can go to a notary and prove, on the basis of a public registry, that you own a piece of real estate or a security on some assets or whatever)
you've described a sales contract, except now it costs sixteen windfarms because jingle jangle.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Barudak posted:

If I wanted to invest in a game in development, isnt that what Fig was for?
https://twitter.com/DR_ILL/status/1483872773650927622

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

The promise of interoperability doesn't just rely on a developer deciding they need to code for the handling of unique out-of-game assets that do not make them any money, but also that they don't instead simply make their own NFTs that do.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

But the endgame is clearly not for players to sell their items. It's for players to buy items.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Aggro Crab best crab.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

the luddites smashed machines that were often being installed for the express purpose of firing or forcibly lowering the wages of a highly skilled workforce with no social safety net and very few other options for employment.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

that 'software' is hilarious for how much they saw star citizen and was like "how can we do that, but promise even less"

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

NFTs are crypto.

They don't exist separate from crypto - they are simply the newest way that crypto is trying to build legitimacy for itself and attract bagholders. Minting an NFT is minting crypto - they don't exist separate from that ecosystem, they directly participate and perpetuate it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

note that when people say the global financial industry is responsible for 10 billion tonnes of emissions that's primarily the emissions of the industries that the finance sector invests in, not the costs of simply running a bank and processing transactions like it is with crypto.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

who could have foreseen this?!!?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There are no examples because it's a completely dumb idea. The core ideal behind 'Web3.0' is a return to a mythical decentralised internet, like 'Web 1.0' was where individuals had "ownership" of their own web presence by either being an enthusiast who ran a webserver at home or had a Myspace or Geocities site; except now it'll all use blockchains for some reason (the reason is because otherwise there's no use for cryptocurrency in it) and no companies will be able to exert their influence because cryptocurrency is immune to the mechanics of capitalism despite being pure distilled capitalism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Classic confidence scam - it costs a lot of money but you're only allowed to buy it because you're special (for having already spent a lot of money)

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

There's nothing I love more about playing video games than logging in to check a real time cooldown then immediately exiting to do something else.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Athene is the kind of reference you can't drop without knowing you're starting a two page tangent.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmao
https://twitter.com/Polium__/status/1543939765644443651

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

it's such a polite term for chips failing a performance test.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

with the bonus that when they take down the servers you lose any ability to verify the authenticity immediately rather than when the paper it's on rots.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmbo i remember relic from the star citizen thread. what a loving mark.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Scam so bad they can't even pay out to advertise it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Oh that is what I meant, since marketing materials is all the actual website would contain.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Incidentally I got some horse armor for preordering the new Monkey Island.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

…setting up a machine learning algorithm to do the job would take significantly more work than just importing the item manually? And would require hiring talent that can easily contract for 4 figures an hour.
it also avoids the point that you wouldn't necessarily want a ballistic helmet in your fantasy elf game even if someone owned one and it didn't take any additional effort to code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I'm the Sell arrow originating from Step 6: Rare NFTs (not for sale)