Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

That's one of the things I don't quite understand with all this:

For a crypto thing to be worth X$ someone else has to be willing to spend X$ to buy it from you, otherwise it's an empty valuation.

So when I start playing crypto wow and get my first drop who is going to pay me 5$ for this green rat fang on a stick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Grondoth posted:

It's just a pyramid scheme, basically. If you get in early you can get rich by selling off the stuff you bought early to people who came late.

It's so dumb.

Jesus Christ you can't just go around calling crypto a pyramid scheme!

It's a ponzi scheme!

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

NumptyScrub posted:

Actually the real money is in owning the blockchain; the blockchain itself takes a fee for every transaction, so the more action a chain sees, the more money the creators make

So it's a scheme by blockchain creators to convince rubes to use their blockchain instead of that other person's, incidental wealth by early adopters is part of the attempt to get people to buy in to the new chains

It's scams all the way down lol

Edit: this is also why games with blockchain are only ever going to use their own chain and not someone else's, and why they don't just use a database. That would mean they miss out on that sweet fee action

But even then there's no real point in the blockchain, most games with a market already do transaction fees without any blockchain stuff.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

no one bought the nft for a dance emote.

Or the guy who bought the nft for the only dance emote wasn't present.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Mildly related but I was watching a video on my phone where I can't adblock YouTube and the ad I had to sit through five seconds of warned me not to invest my money in stocks or even crypto, but in the next big thing: digital real estate.

I looked it up because my initial (extremely correct) thought was this was a nice way to phrase domain squatting. Turns out not only is this trend about domain squatting and similar, but there are literal games that feature plots of land in them you can buy for millions of real dollars. Which... I literally cannot fathom someone that stupid.

There's not even a game yet most of the time, just a website where you can buy land parcels.

ETA: Something I'm not understanding is all this play to earn stuff.
I suspect this means I'm actually understanding that it's a scam but anyway:
For you to be able to earn money, the money has to come from somewhere. So if we use dollars, those have to come from somewhere, simply generating a crypto or nft doesn't make dollars appear, someone has to be willing to pay for the token. It's not going to be the game developers/publishers because why the gently caress would they? So then that leaves your fellow players buying your stuff, but I somehow suspect that most stuff won't be worth poo poo and also now your whole premise of value is built upon getting more suckers into the game so you can cash out. Is this really it?

organburner fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Feb 17, 2022

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Last I checked that weird pokemon like cost like 450$ to start playing and if this is the future people want for gaming, lol.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Earth 2 recently released a video showcasing their amazing proprietary tech!
A youtuber said "lol this is easy as gently caress to do"
Earth 2 ceo challenged the youtuber to do it in 7 days then.
This is the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ejv8FatWa3c

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

drat this dude with the Elon Musk quote picture on his wall seems cool as gently caress

Yeah for some reason all these people doing coverage of NFT things have some... Questionable tastes and choices in other matters.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Yeah afaik most of these people aren't actually people who play games or care about games.

At least that's the way it seems, I've yet to see an NFT game that could stand on its own, they all seem to live and die on the NFT hype.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Wait aren't assassins creed games single player?
You're buying an NFT for a single player game?
Like at least if you buy a CS knife you can kind of show it off so even if I think that's dumb this is even more dumberer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

King of Solomon posted:

The extra confusing thing is Ubisoft already tried NFTs and it loving bombed. Why in the world do they expect this to do any better?

I hope it's just a cowl with a tiny serial number again.