Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The games have 8-bit graphics at 12FPS because the rest of your 3080 is mining.

e: Having read that Twitter thread I have no idea what this dude is on about. That's.... Not how companies or anything works?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
You're going to eat your tamagotchi so you don't starve.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Lammasu posted:

This NFT thing reminds me of emu ranching in the 90s. Huge money was moved selling them for breading but no one actually ate them.

This was a minor plot point or something in that hilarious B-movie love letter Eight Legged Freaks.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
In addition to Destiny, Steam has an account level inventory and API. So while it is just a lot of TF2 hats, I imagine there is nothing preventing a developer from using it to have account level items across multiple games.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Anora posted:

This is just Kickstarter again, except instead of getting Bloodstained and Hollow Knight, you get nothing, ever.

Quite literally a tweet from the last couple of pages.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The notion of keeping records on the blockchain has repeatedly been pointed out as one of the worst ideas imaginable.

Things To Imagine On A Public Ledger Forever:
-medical records
-legal records
-being doxxed
-previous identities/deadnames
-your nude photos

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Hold on, maybe this NFT bro is right!

https://twitter.com/tomsky/status/1488627736381902852

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Having spent the last month playing VRChat: Why the gently caress do I need a worse version of that? One that can, will, and I may not even need to interface with to steal my data?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
loving :lol:

https://www.pcgamer.com/nft-marketplace-halts-transactions-due-to-rampant-counterfeiting/

Also the Team17 NFT thing seems to have continued backlash within the company as more common things like the CEO making a bajillion dollars while leaning on peons is a thing.

Unionization now!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What a shitheel interviewer for fishing but props to those dudes for dunking on Konami.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Mildly related but I was watching a video on my phone where I can't adblock YouTube and the ad I had to sit through five seconds of warned me not to invest my money in stocks or even crypto, but in the next big thing: digital real estate.

I looked it up because my initial (extremely correct) thought was this was a nice way to phrase domain squatting. Turns out not only is this trend about domain squatting and similar, but there are literal games that feature plots of land in them you can buy for millions of real dollars. Which... I literally cannot fathom someone that stupid.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Folding Ideas' recent video on NFT's is worth watching in its entirety but it's kind of two hours long. Even still, I 100% would recommend sitting down and watching it because it explains not only NFT's but crypto itself and the inherent problems with both at length.

But it has a section on pay-to-earn which is wonderfully expository on just how predatory and disgusting it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ_xWvX1n9g&t=5909s

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Is anyone able to explain how the NFT's themselves are ecologically damaging?

My limited understanding is that they are only because they require crypto to mint and because they're run on the blockchain which means there need to be multiple always-on systems that eat electricity.

But unlike crypto, which requires a loving Norway amount of electricity running full tilt 24/7 to generate the funny money, the NFT's are just minted and cost the funny money to make, therefore making them second-hand environmental disasters.

Is this not actually the case and are they inherently worse than even that?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
hahaha lol

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Turns out when games as a service hit end of life so do the NFT's. In two days we get two articles showing this.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ubisoft-ends-its-nft-experiment-in-ghost-recon-breakpoint-but-promises-theyre-coming-to-other-games/

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Kanos posted:

a game series that's forty years old and hasn't had a new entry since before the millenium.

This is the worst thing in this thread by all.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
This just sounds like open source. But with a blockchain.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Looked up to see what dude knows and it's, surprise surprise, web development. His LinkedIn public profile is kind of dumb but he very clearly has no idea what he's talking about obviously.

He has a site claiming to have invested millions of dollars but I would be willing to bet he's counting funny money and not actual fiat currency.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I mean it also breaks down on a far more simpler level:

I'm not modeling, texturing, rigging, and doing the rest of the work to implement your fantasy MMO asset into my space game, especially if we're not even owned by the same publisher. Let alone every game doing it for every item.

Like, game assets are more and more complicated and even when they weren't as complicated moving them from one thing to another wasn't just copy paste. God help you if it's a different engine that swaps the loving X and Z axis.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
And is in a newer and better buy-in format with Vr chat.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

deep dish peat moss posted:

The people on Reddit who have Gamestop stock think that over the next few days the SEC is going to force a wallstreet broker to buy all of their Gamestop stocks at a price of literally $10 million per share

Makes me wonder how much of that $800k trading volume was Gamestop-holding dorks who think they're about to become fabulously rich and were spending money they don't actually have

That's not real. There's no loving way. They cannot possibly believe this. This is a satire-gone-too-far joke post. YOU ARE LYING! YOU HAVE TO BE loving LYING!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
NFT's magically make money. Just by saying 'NFT' in an earnings call you will make $20,000. Personally. Just make sure you say 'NFT' to 5 coworkers and they to 5 other coworkers each.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
We live in hell.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2022/08/indie-devs-outraged-by-unlicensed-game-sales-on-gamestops-nft-market/

quote:

But Ello got a bit abstract when asked to explain the utility of freshly minted NFT versions of games that were already freely playable elsewhere on the web.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Except 'proof of authenticity" doesn't matter to anyone except the artist and any potential work with a formal agreement.

The below twitter account is proof that once you create art nothing will stop someone from doing with it what they will, including profiting off of it. I understand the massive appeal of tamping down on this and curbing outright theft of work you did create, but to believe the NFT's or any web3 bullshit is the solution is just ignorant of the issues with those technologies and desperation to solve an unsolvable problem.

https://twitter.com/bootlegbart

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, recall that an NFT is just basically a key or address. A lot of the art NFTs happen to just point to a jpg but in all honesty what you own is the string, not the art itself. So you could take a single piece of art, let's go with the Mona Lisa for the maximum dumb example, and make a million NFTs out of it if you really wanted because all they are is a wallet address essentially.

This has actually had an incredibly hilarious side effect intended effect.

There's a term called "rug pull." A rug pull is what it sounds like, someone pulling the rug out from under you and your dumb rear end gets scammed with no recourse.

So there have been several NFT purchases of art that after the sale the buyer changes the address to a picture of a literal rug. It's great, gently caress cryptobros forever.

e: It's also really sad to say "gently caress cryptobros forever" and then immediately prior in this thread see that previous icons of this industry like Will Wright are becoming said bros. I would love to think that he and the rest of the old hands know better and in a way I want to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume they do know better but are just believing that the proposed good side that doesn't actually exist actually exists.

A lot of NFT talk in gaming is about ownership, something that is mind-blowingly already done. If you look back at Star Wars Galaxies, a weird janky crafting MMO from 2003 I'm pretty certain that items crafted by players (which was nearly all items) had the character's name who made it on it. If not, I'm sure there are other MMO's that have done that since. Also, MMO's have been doing "this gear is tradeable unless you put it on" forms of ownership since vanilla WoW if not earlier in EQ. It genuinely floors me that there are people out there trying to sell NFTs in gaming as though these are new concepts that we just now have the technology or systems to handle.

And I realize I'm the real fool here for being incredulous since these are the same dipshits literally reinventing things daily that we've had for 40+ years without realizing it.

Dark_Swordmaster fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 6, 2022

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
No idea but this makes me super happy they lost Hitman several years ago. Imagine if every item in your inventory was an NFT...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

DerekSmartymans posted:

The best thing about NFTs mixed with techbro C-level executives is that not only do NFTs fail, but they actively drive current customers away! Like many gamers will actually never buy anything from your company again, because of a loathing of crypto/NFTs as an ecosystem.

NFTs are bad, but the whole entity needs to die in a fire. Not one caused by tinderbox vegetation, either :argh:

I mean possibly, but the real answer here is that the majority of people for any big company with large games covering a huge number of people will either not know it even happened, not understand it, or not care.

There are more people that hate NFTs and would possibly boycott a company's products than your standard vocal minority, but it's still got to be a vocal minority. Your baseline consumer is ignorant of things like this, unfortunately. Beyond that, I imagine there's a large portion of those people in that angry group that will either forget that a company is attempting to use NFTs or don't know if they've stopped or not.

Regardless, it looks like almost every company has backpedaled hard on them and decided to not get into them "without further research" and, on top of that, NFTs as a whole are almost loving dead and even crypto is on its death bed so thankfully this trend should resolve itself "soon."

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Ariong posted:

Speaking of Square Enix, they recently discontinued support for not one, not two, but three different games after about a year of service. Everyone who spent money on these games, be it the initial purchase price or the microtransactions, is now totally in the lurch, their money wasted. Square Enix’s customers are expected to pony up for the promise of long-term support, you see, but Square Enix itself feels no obligation to uphold their end of that bargain if it turns out they failed to create an especially successful product.

All that being said, can’t wait for the new blockchain thing! I’m hyped to buy an NFT that represents an in-game item that will totally, absolutely, definitely exist for more than 12 months.

Not defending Square here but this is now common. In our digital nightmare future games are being delisted constantly. Most of them can be played if you at least purchased them but several are not so lucky. I know Ubi was briefly going to completely kill a few titles and/or their DLC but delayed that due to backlash.

It's an absolute insane loving nightmare we're now living in. Epic, with absolutely no warning, pulled their ancient Unreal games from sale on Steam overnight due to them no longer wanting to support the old MP systems. This includes the singleplayer games because they had MP components.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah but this time the castle's upside down! Wait...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm more surprised they weren't already doing something like this.