Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

ultrafilter posted:

It's very important to understand that the NFT--the part that you own--is the link, not the thing it points at.

Yes. The godawful NFT “art” you see sometimes, like Bored Apes and Lazy Lions and the like, is the result of attempting to solve this problem by having a computer generate “art” based on the NFT itself. The computer uses the NFT as a seed to randomly select the features of the image. However, while this strategy does strengthen one’s claim of ownership over thr image by creating an undeniable link between it and the thing they actually own, it does nothing to solve the problem of anyone being able to reproduce the image infinitely without the owner’s permission, or the problem of the owner of the NFT not owning the server hosting the thing the NFT is pointing to and thus having no ability to ensure its continued existence.

In short, an NFT can act as proof of ownership of a digital image, but this does not confer any of the benefits of actually owning a real thing. It’s like buying a painting from a museum, but you’re not allowed to remove the painting from display and everyone else is allowed to make as many perfect copies of it as they want. You only have those rights for the receipt. I think.

Owning the NFT for an in-game item does not have the reproducibility problem, but it still has the issue that the thing you own is not the item, but a string of characters that says an item hosted on someone else’s server is yours. Once the owner of the server stops making a profit off it, they will shut it down, and then you will own nothing but an NFT pointing to nothing.

TL;DR If you see a token, and you try to funge it, and you can’t, that is what an NFT is.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

https://www.pcgamer.com/f1-delta-time-one-of-the-first-major-nft-games-has-shut-down/

quote:

While F1 Delta Time may be fairly obscure to most people, it was significant in how it "legitimised" the idea of NFT and play-to-earn gaming. Most notably, it saw the biggest-value sale of an NFT in 2019, with a jewel-encrusted car called the 1-1-1 going for an Ethereum value over $100,000.

(…)

As for what's happened to all those precious NFTs, well, for all intents and purposes they no longer exist.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

That's true. It was about cryptocurrency, which is not money.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MadHat posted:

That is actually less stupid than normal as instead of pretending it is an actual thing they are just skipping right to what it actually is.

Still more stupid than an actual Certificate but at least it is not going that extra dumb leap of claiming the NTF has value itself I guess?

Yeah I don’t really have a problem with this I think. Most NFTs are glorified receipts, this NFT is just a receipt.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Lammasu posted:

Can't they just cancel it? I mean Discovery canceled the Batgirl and Scooby Doo movies.

Sure, but they may have done so much work on it that it makes more financial sense to finish it and reap whatever meagre revenue they can get out of it. Then there’s the sunk cost fallacy, which might cause them to do that even if it makes more financial sense to scrap the project and cut their losses.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

MechaCrash posted:

I can't help but wonder how much of it is an attempt to save face. Because the alternative is someone saying "yeah, we sold off Tomb Raider and Deus Ex and a bunch of other poo poo for pennies on the dollar so we could plow it into this thing that, haha whoops, is a lovely boondoggle that customers loathe," and I think that's a severe enough admission that you wouldn't get to keep your golden parachute.

Yeah this isn’t just a company spokesperson who is trying to make the company look as good as possible. This is the CEO, the guy whose job is to set the overall direction of the company. He is personally responsible for making sure that things like “we sold our most beloved franchises in order to invest all possible resources into a technological fad right before its catastrophic collapse” don’t happen, and it is very much in his best interest to make it seem as though that is not what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Speaking of Square Enix, they recently discontinued support for not one, not two, but three different games after about a year of service. Everyone who spent money on these games, be it the initial purchase price or the microtransactions, is now totally in the lurch, their money wasted. Square Enix’s customers are expected to pony up for the promise of long-term support, you see, but Square Enix itself feels no obligation to uphold their end of that bargain if it turns out they failed to create an especially successful product.

All that being said, can’t wait for the new blockchain thing! I’m hyped to buy an NFT that represents an in-game item that will totally, absolutely, definitely exist for more than 12 months.