Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, they could charge a subscription for access to the blockchain, I don't know how this works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Web 3 is the commodification of all interactions so the companies can profit of everything you do instead of just 95%. Anything else is just the details they haven't quite worked out yet.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Yeah, they're just calling it Web3.0 to make it sound like this huge revolution that you won't want to miss out on, ultimately it's all meant to pump the value of crypto.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Forcing you to check in every day for "daily quests" and whatnot is a pretty standard way of forcing engagement. The idea being that even if you find it unpleasant, it still ensures that you remember the game exists.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Also, you can put all that into game(s) without blockchain, but no one will because it's dumb.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I suppose the real question is whether the bots are also buying fastpasses.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, that's the beauty of the scam, isn't it? Cryptobros are already emotionally invested in the success of anything and everything NFT, while other people won't even give this thing a second thought so the scammers don't need to waste too much time interacting with skeptics.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

My guess is that they're dipping their toes in and seeing if NFTs make things sell better.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Those artists were lied to because NFTs in no way assert proof of ownership (legally) and in fact just make fraud even easier. The existence of a real problem doesn't mean that NFTs are even a step towards a solution, because they're not.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

They actually didn't say anything like that at all!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

You can make the same NFT over and over again tied to the same blockchain. What's gonna stop you? The only thing "unique" is the specific entry on the blockchain, which is not directly tied to the art in any way. Just reupload the exact same image and link to it with a new smart contract, bam fungible NFTS.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Sep 6, 2022

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean a lot of this, if not most, comes from the executives being NFT bros or NFT bro adjacent. Logic and facts don't persuade them because their identity is caught up in these things succeeding.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

People who like NFTs don't care what they are, they just want them to go up in value so they can sell them. They are also not especially good at judging what will go up in value.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah I feel like a new tech gimmick has arrived and a bunch of those "idea guys" that were really into nfts in gaming have just moved on to the next thing. I'm sure there's still people out there wanting to grift or make something of it but I feel like its time as 'the next big thing' has passed.

Just think... procedurally generated AI level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Well, instead of giving it handcrafted rules to follow, you'd just feed it a bunch of existing level designs and it learns from that, I suppose? And then it makes an exact copy of SotN by accident.