Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Grondoth posted:

"You can sell games when you're done with them" sure is a bold statement to explain why this new thing is nessicary.

No, no, you can't sell the game. You can sell items from in those games for real money via a competitive bidding process. A real money auction house, if you will. With ~~blockchain~~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Hub Cat posted:

Mr. Zuckerberg showed off his idea of the metaverse in October, with his digital avatar playing cards with the avatars of others — plus a robot — in the virtual world

Seems like every throw money at the problem to "find the fun/product" process-less horror story I've ever heard

But Tabletop Simulator already has VR support.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

the "only" thing holding back cross-game inventories or whatever is the fact that exactly zero devs or companies want to do it

for all kinds of reasons

but when I really, truly, think about it? Imagine a dev balancing something slightly in their own game (nerf, buff, it don't matter) and then causing cascading drama across an arbitrary number of gambling investment communities for devaluing their item because of knock on effects in who knows how many other games

it'd be the purest comedy

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

"He spent 5 years building multiple startups in the crypto space" <- is it just me or that sentence doesn't exactly scream "success"?

if he'd succeeded he'd have wiped his LinkedIn profile, projects, and be living somewhere without extradition treaties

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Leaving aside everything else wrong with this (lol a real money marketplace yeah ask Blizzard how that one went)... I'm trying to figure out how holding onto an NFT to generate value for eventual sale, which seems to be the entire point of this game, works when they inevitably release a new character class or whatever and it's inevitably OP and it destroys the existing market. And what happens when they want to nerf that NFT for when another NFT is to be released that someone presumably bought (?) for real (?) money (????) - I know that Wargaming and Gaijin don't nerf premium ships and tanks because AFAIK the EU makes companies give refunds to customers on demand for doing that kind of thing. Which doesn't seem to square well with everything about this dumpster fire of a plan.

I suppose they could just keep releasing OP character after OP character or whatever but there won't be a playerbase let alone market if they do that.