Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Barudak posted:

Because Valve already owner the hats and there was no investor storytime of how people could get in the ground floor with them.

There is literally 0 benefit to NFTs for videogames that could not be better handled by a centralized database, or to my amusement with the ubisoft stuff, is handled by a central database but we pretend the NFT does something other than help waste the earths limited resources

I'm pretty sure every game NFT thing is paired with some kind of centralized database, because none of that NFT blockchain magic actually does anything unless it can point at a server with real functionality built into it. Of course, once the company stops seeing profits and pulls the plug on the server, the NFT is now pointing at dead, empty space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

NFTs aren't linked to intellectual property rights in any way. I could sell an NFT of your avatar, or the top 10 images on deviantart right now, or the Mona Lisa. I could even sell 50 NFTs of each of those things. In fact, actual artists are angry about NFTs because random crypto bros are making and selling NFTs of their art without their permission.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gotta say it must be an exciting time to be a scammer. Real kid in a candy store vibe. You could run a different hustle every week and have them all succeed wildly with zero possibility of repercussions.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Most of the gaming related NFT talk I hear about is poo poo like "you get a sword in Dark Souls 4 but it's an NFT so you can bring it into Breath of the Wild 2!" which is obviously total nonsense (and, if those games decided to support that, it wouldn't require or even be helped by NFTs/blockchain anyway).

The only "useful" application of this idea that I can think of is if, say, Diablo 4 gives you legendary items as NFTs, then I could make my own game that reads those same NFTs and gives you equivalent items in my game (that I spent the time and resources to make, of course) and I don't think Blizzard could stop me in a technical sense. If I made my versions of the items different enough to be legally distinct then they might not even sue me for it.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Maybe in this contrived scenario, Blizzard does want interoperability, but not with any specific game - they've made the items NFTs as sort of an open-ended invitation to other developers to add support for them, in the hopes that it will make those NFTs more attractive to buyers. Eventually those NFTs could be supported by enough games that they're useful to have even if you never play Diablo 4, or even if Blizzard completely closes down and shuts off their servers. Perhaps they're part of a larger pool of NFTs that are expected to do something in a lot of games, with enough developers seeing this as a trendy thing that they add support for them ("Come play our game, we support all your NFTs!")

(I think this is a dumb gimmick that will probably never happen and isn't worth the many downsides including literally destroying the planet, but it does seem like functionality that a blockchain technically "helps" with.)

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

The promise of interoperability doesn't just rely on a developer deciding they need to code for the handling of unique out-of-game assets that do not make them any money, but also that they don't instead simply make their own NFTs that do.

Yeah this only makes any sense if they have a plan for their own revenue stream and they're just using the promise of supporting outside NFTs as a lure to get people in the door. Also, the "support" could be incredibly lovely - less "bring the Moonlight Greatsword into Zelda" and more "you get an NFT Hat with colors procedurally determined by your NFT"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I don't think any of that is supposed to be "fun" because the point is to make money by gambling on crypto poo poo. They're basically describing all the fancy animations and flashing lights on the screen of a slot machine.