Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Samovar posted:

What... What is wrong with these people? Not the scammers, those I have an idea of and despise accordingly, but... People who buy into this... How can they function in basic reality? How can they tie their tricking shoes in the morning?! It's so obviously divorced from any kind of established precedence or background!

I feel like most True Believers only become as such after being surrounded by other true believers or scammers. Like it isn't too far fetched to imagine someone seeing a tweet about a weird new tech and joining a discord, and hey these people are really excited and posting """"funny""" memes and talking about video games! Fast forward a month and now I'm seeing Twitter strangers calling those people stupid fuckers but now this is part of my identity and they're being mean to my In Group so it's time to double down baby!!!

It doesn't help that like, news outlets and other platforms with a degree of authority were talking about how great it is. I remember an NPR interview earlier into the pandemic where they were talking to some dude who sold his art as NFTs and he kept talking about how great it is that nfts let young poor artists survive in such difficult times, and the interviewer just bought into it wholesale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Complications posted:

Leaving aside everything else wrong with this (lol a real money marketplace yeah ask Blizzard how that one went)... I'm trying to figure out how holding onto an NFT to generate value for eventual sale, which seems to be the entire point of this game, works when they inevitably release a new character class or whatever and it's inevitably OP and it destroys the existing market. And what happens when they want to nerf that NFT for when another NFT is to be released that someone presumably bought (?) for real (?) money (????) - I know that Wargaming and Gaijin don't nerf premium ships and tanks because AFAIK the EU makes companies give refunds to customers on demand for doing that kind of thing. Which doesn't seem to square well with everything about this dumpster fire of a plan.

I suppose they could just keep releasing OP character after OP character or whatever but there won't be a playerbase let alone market if they do that.

having a forever playerbase isn't really the goal with projects like this, it's to juice numbers for a quarter or two so the internal metrics show the company is making infinity-plus-one dollars instead of merely infinity.