Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

My take (you can stop holding your breath):

People who are excited about NFTs pretty much invariably

a) don't know what NFTs actually are or
b) are in on the scam

Most of the gaming related NFT talk I hear about is poo poo like "you get a sword in Dark Souls 4 but it's an NFT so you can bring it into Breath of the Wild 2!" which is obviously total nonsense (and, if those games decided to support that, it wouldn't require or even be helped by NFTs/blockchain anyway).

I think the NFT "interest" surge is mainly driven by two things. A lot of people saw that if you got in early on bitcoin you could be stinking rich for doing more or less nothing, and are feeling crazy FOMO about it. These people include big investors that control the boards of major gaming companies. But also, a lot of the hype is simply artificial. Early adopters are talking it up constantly to find bag holders to increase the value of their investments. The amount of people participating in NFT markets is absolutely miniscule compared to actual cryptocurrency. You wouldn't realize this just by looking at all the news coverage, but that's mostly driven by astroturfing done by people who are good at controlling the conversation in tech adjacent venues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Triarii posted:

The only "useful" application of this idea that I can think of is if, say, Diablo 4 gives you legendary items as NFTs, then I could make my own game that reads those same NFTs and gives you equivalent items in my game (that I spent the time and resources to make, of course) and I don't think Blizzard could stop me in a technical sense. If I made my versions of the items different enough to be legally distinct then they might not even sue me for it.

I think this is only the case if we're in some weird scenario where a) Blizzard makes the items in Diablo 4 NFTs but b) doesn't want you to use those items in non-Blizzard games. In this scenario they can't stop you from doing that because the items are on the blockchain! But this doesn't make sense. If they didn't want interoperability what reason would they have to make them NFTs? Conversely, if they want me to be able to download my [Terrible Post] into Mario vs. Rabbids: Revengeance they could do that without using NFTs.

Amiibos are actually pretty similar to a lot of these proposed NFT applications, and in practice 99.9% of their value proposition is "own a cool Waluigi figure".

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

It's an interesting question because every existing ("existing") game I can think of that has made noise about implementing NFTs has had a huge fan backlash, but I could see the Star Citizen fanbase specifically being super into the idea. On the other hand the NFT fad seems to be dying and all but the truest of believers seem to aware of it.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Anno posted:

Another solid laugh. Like I kinda get the appeal of what's being dreamed about here in a weird way, just there's no reason it has to be done in this dumb loving way.

This reminds me of a post I saw someone make about suggestions for the crafting system in WoW before that game released. It was about crafting a special jeweled scimitar for a guild leader with a bunch of special features "befitting a man of his status". It honestly had some pretty cool ideas but it showed a complete ignorance of how game design worked both from a perspective of a) what's fun to play and b) what's a good use of developer resources. The one game I can think of that game close to doing what the guy wanted is Dwarf Fortress.

Now that I think about it, Dwarf Fortress NFTs might have been kind of cool if everything about NFTs weren't a nightmare :v:

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

To be fair playing Candy Crush for 20 hours to get ahead in WoW sounds better than playing WoW for 20 hours to get ahead in WoW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Drakenel posted:

while telling any braindead investor that asks about it that it's 'still in development'. (And then never finish it.)

Is this really something Square Enix is capable of though?