Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I saw this movie first thing this morning after waiting for it for the last few years. I was pretty let down by Far From Home but all in all I was very satisfied.

Please discuss Spoder-Man, the movie is very good and I feel like it has lots and lots to unpack, like the meta-narrative of the Andrew Garfield Spider-Manz getting poo poo on and built up, or the incredible performances of the ensemble cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You know, I’m something of a poster myself

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I wasn't really a fan of this movie. I liked these characters in their original movies. I didn't need them to be brought back and have the movie "fix" the older movies I liked.

I am also definitively on the side of thinking its really obnoxious when people are cheering at movies like it's a sporting event, and I was tired of it by the third "Remember this character?" scene erupting to thunderous applause.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is this the sequel or prequel to Spiderman: Home Alone?

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just came back from a 10pm showing. I'm torn, because it was a good movie for sure, and I had fun with all the fanservicey callbacks, all the Strange scenes, everything really. But it was just such a downer that I didn't enjoy it as much as the other Tom Holland Spiderman movies. And sure, that's kinda who Spiderman is in the comics, the everyman superhero who gets poo poo on all the time, but in the modern MCU, that not at all what we've gotten from Spiderman (until now). Heck, they glossed over Uncle Ben's death with a single line in Civil War, and Peter is Tony Stark's heir rather than the poor kid who has to sell Spiderman photos to the Bugle just to make rent. These movies have just been fun, lighthearted superhero/coming-of-age movies starring likeable characters, and it really hits differently for this particular Peter Parker to be left in such a horrible, lonesome place at the end of the movie.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
I liked it just fine, but I didn't like it like I liked Shang-Chi. I felt it was very, I guess predictable. I know the MCU gets a bad rap for that kind of thing, but this felt predictable in a different way. I guess it was kind of a side effect of the internet poring over every detail and every leak making its way out, but nothing really engaged me.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Don't suppose you can just stream this somewhere legally yet? Was really hoping all that rumbling about covid killing off cinemas for good would pan out...

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
!!!!SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS FOR THE ENDING!!!!!

The #1 reason I really loved this movie is because for the entire Tom Holland run I’ve been bummed because this character is fully and completely divorced from the Spider-Man of my youth. He has a magic nano machine suit and big golden spider legs and satellite missile drones and he never really got to be The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man before he was forced into becoming Iron Man jr, he never really got to save New York because he was too busy saving Earth.

This film found a way to take everything that the MCU did to the character that takes away from his historical ideas and cuts it all out, leaving Holland’s Parker precisely where he needs to be to become THE Spider-Man. He’s broke, he’s alone, he’s in New York, and he’s back to just Spandex and web shooters. We’ve finally got the Spider-Man that we deserve.

However, I really struggle with the climax of the film. There had to be a better way to end the movie then “wait, what if you just do a spell again” it just feels like the absolutely MOST contrived way to conclude the film. It really makes you feel like all the most interesting questions in the movie get asked for no reason and leaves the viewer in this murky quagmire of “well why the gently caress did any of that happen then, if this was how it was always going to end?”

A deeply frustrating and unsatisfying resolution to the plot of the film, despite me liking where the characters are as a result of it.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 18, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Sony make Amazing Spider-Man 3 you cowards

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Okay, either I'm overthinking this or not thinking hard enough.

There are multiple character arcs here (spoilers, obviously):

Doc Ock takes the Arc reactor back so he finally figures out unlimited power.

Amazing Spider-Man saves MJ in the way he wasn't able to save Gwen.

Sandman gets to see his daughter.

Electro finds out he doesn't need POWER to be liked.

Osborn, I guess...finds peace?

But Lizard doesn't get anything, unless he kept his grown back arm.

And Toby only got stabbed.

Did I miss something?

Also, while I loved the fan service of having all the Spider-Men it took what was an absolutely banging movie and really stepped on the pacing. Take that out and it's a tighter, better movie.

Bust Rodd posted:

However, I really struggle with the climax of the film. There had to be a better way to end the movie then “wait, what if you just do a spell again” it just feels like the absolutely MOST contrived way to conclude the film. It really makes you feel like all the most interesting questions in the movie get asked for no reason and leaves the viewer in this murky quagmire of “well why the gently caress did any of that happen then, if this was how it was always going to end?”

It wasn't great, but it was probably the only way to 'reboot' Spider-Man and get rid of all the Avengers baggage. They really painted themselves into a corner plot-wise.

They've got 2 more films planned so that's lots of room for old school Spider-man eating garbage out of the trash.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

The #1 reason I really loved this movie is because for the entire Tom Holland run I’ve been bummed because this character is fully and completely divorced from the Spider-Man of my youth. He has a magic nano machine suit and big golden spider legs and satellite missile drones and he never really got to be The Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man before he was forced into becoming Iron Man jr, he never really got to save New York because he was too busy saving Earth.

This film found a way to take everything that the MCU did to the character that takes away from his historical ideas and cuts it all out, leaving Holland’s Parker precisely where he needs to be to become THE Spider-Man. He’s broke, he’s alone, he’s in New York, and he’s back to just Spandex and web shooters. We’ve finally got the Spider-Man that we deserve.

I had a feeling there were a lot of people who would respond like this, but frankly, I really liked Spiderman as the kid who was recognized early on by Tony Stark, and didn't have a history filled with pathos. It was a different version of the character, sure, but I enjoyed his movies because they were so lighthearted and happy. I don't think this particular Peter needed to follow all the depressing story beats that we've seen with other Spidermen -- I really liked that he wasn't the same sadsack, beaten-down Spiderman we usually get, and I liked all the friendly interplay with him and MJ and Ned and Happy (which is possibly gone forever now, I guess).

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.
My main problem with the movie is that there was too much Marvel in my Spiderman movie.

I liked bringing back the other Spidermen although I wonder if they did that because Into the Spider-verse was so popular.

It does beg the question though, was the plot itself so weak that it needed the star power to keep it afloat? I didn't care too much about these kids' college admissions.

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Phenotype posted:

I had a feeling there were a lot of people who would respond like this, but frankly, I really liked Spiderman as the kid who was recognized early on by Tony Stark, and didn't have a history filled with pathos.

This is true, and is why I liked Homecoming. It's just jarring for this movie to be so light-hearted in the beginning and then we spend like a whole uncomfortable minute looking at Aunt May's dead face. Like wtf

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

proletariando posted:

It does beg the question though, was the plot itself so weak that it needed the star power to keep it afloat? I didn't care too much about these kids' college admissions.

I mean, that was the first act, which sets up all the other things that happen. Presumably in a scenario where they don't get all the old characters & actors, they just... write a different movie with different stakes?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
So now Flash thinks he's supposed to get Spider-man rides to school every day for the next 2 weeks, but he doesn't remember why? How frustrating that must be.

Does that mean that his book still exists, but everyone thinks he made up the Peter Parker character?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I didn't like that May died delivering the line--Peter only started this whole thing because he was feeling guilty about Ned and MJ, and the whole reason the villains are there was because he was trying to help them. That's like, the opposite circumstances from how the line would normally be delivered.

But I liked that putting aside the cynical "hey, remember this" cashing in on nostalgia, the narrative is actually helped by the audience having (ideally) seen the five non-MCU Spidey films. If they had just "invented" brand new villains coming in from an alternate universe that we hadn't seen before, then there would be no question--of course Peter is going to find a way to save them, that's what he does. But by using the actual old movies, we the audience get to see things the way Stephen does--"wtf is this kid doing, the story is set in stone and can't be changed"--and are ourselves conflicted about what happens next. Are Peter's efforts futile when we, the audience, have seen these characters die? And even if you think you know, you still second guess yourself. That he defies Strange, fate, and the audience's own memories to do what's right might very well be the truest Spider-man characterization we've seen on film since Raimi.

Also, this could all have been avoided if Peter had asked Strange to cast "make everyone forget Mysterio's broadcast" instead of "make everyone forget Spider-man is Peter".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

proletariando posted:

My main problem with the movie is that there was too much Marvel in my Spiderman movie.

I liked bringing back the other Spidermen although I wonder if they did that because Into the Spider-verse was so popular.

The star power was the plot though :confused:

Cocaine is Abel
Nov 12, 2021
Sad Michael Keatondidn’t show up

Cocaine is Abel fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 18, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If Wong is the Sorcerer Supreme how come he spends so much time at some random Chinese fight club

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

Mameluke posted:

If Wong is the Sorcerer Supreme how come he spends so much time at some random Chinese fight club

Tuna melts cost money -- being Sorcerer Supreme probably doesn't pay enough for Uber Eats.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I mean the only way the cast could have been more stacked is if they got Kirsten Dunst back. The interplay between the Peters was the highlight of the movie for me. I hate Ned, he has always sucked and he just brings nothing to this trilogy at all. I never understood why Peter Parker needs an Operator, he’s a Mega-Genius. That’s another aspect of the Tom Holland trilogy that really fails to work for me, but doesn’t stop them from being my favorite of the 3.

One thing that really kind of surprised me was the way the audience reacted to Garfield. It had never occurred to me before that moment that for the generation right below me, Garfield WAS their Spider-Man, and they loved him and felt about Holland the way we had kind of felt about Garfield. Seeing the guys next to me all spaz out in their movie seats when he started talking was heart warming.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

One thing that really kind of surprised me was the way the audience reacted to Garfield. It had never occurred to me before that moment that for the generation right below me, Garfield WAS their Spider-Man, and they loved him and felt about Holland the way we had kind of felt about Garfield. Seeing the guys next to me all spaz out in their movie seats when he started talking was heart warming.

My guess too is that people liked Garfield as Spider-Man but his movies were average to bad so he got screwed over.

Anyways, I think the movie is good and I liked but the no one remembers who Spider-Man is feels mean and bitter. I know somehow parts of it will be reset but Spider-Man having small team who knows him works better than him not having people. It feels like a bygone era to keep his identity super locked down.

Also, Dr. Strange is kind of a jerk in this and I get that his always kind of arrogant but I dunno, it felt like they could of found a middle ground.

I do feel the movie is paced surprisingly well for a two hour movie. And the fanservice bits do a good job and never distract from the movie.

Again, really liked it but it's a bit mean and I am not sure the greatest direction for the franchise.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

proletariando posted:

This is true, and is why I liked Homecoming. It's just jarring for this movie to be so light-hearted in the beginning and then we spend like a whole uncomfortable minute looking at Aunt May's dead face. Like wtf

I wonder if they reshot those scenes. It was like "Let me get up and give you a pep talk--oh wait nevermind I'm still dead".

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
If the next one doesn't have Zendaya in it, it's going to be way worse than the previous ones.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Did they retcon uncle Ben's killer again? Tobey-Man has this speech about how he wanted to kill the one who did it and got his wish in the end... but Marko was alive at the end of SM3.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Spermando posted:

Did they retcon uncle Ben's killer again? Tobey-Man has this speech about how he wanted to kill the one who did it and got his wish in the end... but Marko was alive at the end of SM3.
I think he says specifically the man he thought he killed his uncle.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo
I know the ending was kind of a downer, but I admit that I liked it. I like the way the MCU can use long-form storytelling techniques to build characters over time. Prior to this Uncle Ben was pretty much like Bruce Wayne's parents in the "Wow, the death of this person that we don't know or care about even a little bit is probably really, really, really sad for this kid."

Here we had three previous movies (Civil War, Homecoming and Far from Home) to get to know and like May Parker so that we get how much of a gutpunch her death is for Peter because we feel it too.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Roth posted:

I wasn't really a fan of this movie. I liked these characters in their original movies. I didn't need them to be brought back and have the movie "fix" the older movies I liked.

I am also definitively on the side of thinking its really obnoxious when people are cheering at movies like it's a sporting event, and I was tired of it by the third "Remember this character?" scene erupting to thunderous applause.
I was clapping along with everyone else during our showing. They built up to the alternate Peter arrivals well. I feel like audience reactions are part of the experience.

Wasn’t a fan of getting a trailer for the post credits scene though.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Got back from watching this earlier today. Enjoyed this a lot overall, definitely the best MCU Spider-Man movie for me, might just be a top 3 MCU movie for me behind Infinity War and Thor Ragnarok. A few thoughts:

- Liked how they handled introducing Tobey and Andrew Spider-Men and their interactions with each other. The leaks made it pretty obvious they were going to be there and they weren't going to bring back old villains literally from other movies without a Spider-Men team up at the end of the movie. This also just reinforces to me that Andrew was a fantastic Spider-Man, he just got screwed over by some bad scripts.
-Wasn't crazy about the overall plot being to try and fix everyone's problems when Dr. Strange was probably right all along. It was still very entertaining but it felt like a weird direction to go that didn't make a ton of sense to me.
-Predicted that the movie was gonna go with a "One More Day" kind of ending, there really wasn't any other way this was gonna go. Honestly, I'm glad they did it and I think it'll great for the future of Spider-Man since now he's not tied down to any other MCU hero for an assist or relying on billionaire assets and hi tech gadgetry way out of his league anymore. The completely fresh reset and him with his new homemade costume feel right and I hope Marvel Studios finally lets Tom Holland be Spider-Man on his own without being help up by anyone else.
-Didn't see them killing off Aunt May, although I guess that's already happened in a few continuities and it just isn't Spider-Man without some deep personal loss.
-Loved seeing Alfred Molina and Willem Dafoe back and that they didn't cheapen Doc Ock's redemption at the end of Spider-Man 2 by having him be a straight up villain with the rest of them at the end of the movie. Speaking of which, I thought they were going to go for a Sinister Six sort of thing for this movie, so I'm a little surprised there were only 5 villains. I guess having Topher Grace Venom leaves too much of a sour taste in people's mouths (plus they probably want to save Venom and the symbiote for a potential sequel given the post credits sequence) and it wouldn't make a ton of sense for the goon squad to feature a Tom Holland Spidey villain like Vulture given the plot.
-Totally forgot Charlie Cox was supposed to make a cameo in this, loved seeing him on the big screen.
-Didn't expect the 2nd post credits scene to be a straight up Dr. Strange 2 trailer, weird choice.

Mr. Funktastic fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 19, 2021

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I was churning back and forth during the film and when it ended I realised I really disliked it. I was fine with the fact that Holland's Spiderman was a more upbeat take on the hero and don't like at all that they clumsily reset that. I don't like that 75% of the film was essentially Sony trying to get you to go back and watch their backlog - I shouldn't be watching this film and thinking about how great the (first two) Maguire films were. I don't like that literally nothing anyone in the film did mattered because the entire tramatic tension is both caused and resolved by Dr Strange. I don't like the fact that the conclusion of the film was clearly driven by the fact that the actors are all at the end of their three film contracts and they want to be able to write them out in case they try and ask for more money.

Plenty of superhero films have done 'the hero is torn between regular identity and superhero identity' but embracing the superhero identity is always a painful sacrifice - I just don't buy that Peter is happy at the end. Also okay Peter Parker is wiped from existence but Spiderman isn't? So all they have to do to walk that back if they want Spiderman to appear in more Avengers films is have him show up and pull his mask off? It's very much a conclusion that's written as if they don't expect to have to deal with these problems because they are either recasting/rebooting or Sony will contine with Holland but not let his stories touch the MCU again.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Roth posted:

I apparently got stuck with a children's birthday party and was stuck with the double whammy of kids speaking through the whole movie as if they were in their living room and everyone cheering and clapping at every single meme.

That aside, I also still didn't really like it that much. Spiderverse did it better.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Okay, either I'm overthinking this or not thinking hard enough.

There are multiple character arcs here (spoilers, obviously):

And Toby only got stabbed.

Did I miss something?

Tobey goes back home and gets a really good PT to help rehab the injury that also gives him exercises to fix his janky back

Also as far as memes go, I'm glad we got a live-action version of Spider-man pointing at Spider-man, but I still think Spider-verse did it better

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 19, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Alchenar posted:

I was churning back and forth during the film and when it ended I realised I really disliked it. I was fine with the fact that Holland's Spiderman was a more upbeat take on the hero and don't like at all that they clumsily reset that. I don't like that 75% of the film was essentially Sony trying to get you to go back and watch their backlog - I shouldn't be watching this film and thinking about how great the (first two) Maguire films were. I don't like that literally nothing anyone in the film did mattered because the entire tramatic tension is both caused and resolved by Dr Strange. I don't like the fact that the conclusion of the film was clearly driven by the fact that the actors are all at the end of their three film contracts and they want to be able to write them out in case they try and ask for more money.

Plenty of superhero films have done 'the hero is torn between regular identity and superhero identity' but embracing the superhero identity is always a painful sacrifice - I just don't buy that Peter is happy at the end. Also okay Peter Parker is wiped from existence but Spiderman isn't? So all they have to do to walk that back if they want Spiderman to appear in more Avengers films is have him show up and pull his mask off? It's very much a conclusion that's written as if they don't expect to have to deal with these problems because they are either recasting/rebooting or Sony will contine with Holland but not let his stories touch the MCU again.

The dramatic tension was caused by the conflict of outlooks between Strange and Peter. Stephen Strange is the (vice) Sorcerer Supreme. His mandate is to protect Earth/the universe from mystical threats. He's a magical cop/guardian. Moreover, prior to that he was a surgeon. He helped people get better by cutting the bad stuff out of them to let the good/healthy tissue grow. So of course his outlook on the five villains is "They're threats. And they're not native threats. Send them to where they came from to meet whatever fates they're actions earned before they cause more chaos here. Failing to do that is why a purple-skinned rear end in a top hat killed half the universe." And... harsh as it is, that's a valid point. If Strange had gotten his way, May would still be alive and Peter would have been on his way to MIT with Ned and MJ.

Peter's outlook is informed by May Parker and her generosity of spirit. Sending these people back where they came from to (presumably) die doesn't work for him. They're here. He has the tech and knowledge to potentially help them so he wants to help them. Instead of cutting them out as damaged tissue, he wants to heal them back into good tissue. Because maybe if Thanos had gotten help, he wouldn't have become the rear end in a top hat who killed half the universe. Peter gets his way and the five get healed, but he pays an awful price for it.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

...it just dawned on me that this is likely the closest we'll get to a proper Sinister Six movie.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I liked it when Willem Dafoe said the meme.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

Also they missed a beat by not having a scene where Tobey (and Garfield?) see J. Jonah Jameson and they're like "Hey, JJ's the same in all universes, apparently."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Thank god they gave Willem Dafoe that stop-being-an-abuser juice

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I loved it, this was a great movie and they better bring Zendaya back for the next one cause she’s great.

This was both a movie disassociating itself from the MCU symbolic by Cap’s shield falling from something as iconic as the Statue of Liberty which itself is unnatural and getting the core of Spider-man via Aunt May and his being a hero and expressing the heroism of Spidey saving his villains.

Even Electro says Spidey looks out for the poor people and saves them which feels a rejection of Stark.

I hate resets but I see how this one works and how it untangles itself from the questionable and problematic MCU baggage. I also hate poor and downtrodden Spidey since all it turns into is misery porn and I’ve had that since 1960 comics, done with that poo poo. I also want Marisa Tomei back

The character arcs are great. The cast is phenomenal. I think this one has a lot of value if you take a step back and just ponder for a minute since this also addresses a lot of concerns people had with this Spider-Man’s world.

The Spideys were great together but I kind of wish they could have ended up animated with Miles instead of a Strange trailer. Thank goodness for Willem, Molina and Foxx. The Venom moment was amusing yet disappointing they shunted him back.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 19, 2021

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.

Alchenar posted:

Also okay Peter Parker is wiped from existence but Spiderman isn't? So all they have to do to walk that back if they want Spiderman to appear in more Avengers films is have him show up and pull his mask off? It's very much a conclusion that's written as if they don't expect to have to deal with these problems because they are either recasting/rebooting or Sony will contine with Holland but not let his stories touch the MCU again.

They've already announced Spider-man 4, so it's likely that we get back on track in some way/shape/form. It will be interesting to see how they handle the loose threads around Spider-man's relationships outside of Peter.

As for Sony, it'll be interesting if they take this opportunity to actually resurrect TASM in a world with Venom and Morbius; while Marvel runs with their own Venom

ElectricSheep posted:

Also as far as memes go, I'm glad we got a live-action version of Spider-man pointing at Spider-man, but I still think Spider-verse did it better

I was super disappointed that an exact animated version didn't show up in the animated credits

Shrimpy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnazzyDude
Oct 28, 2021
I love that it was such a downer, Spider-Man's suppose to go through some poo poo and Holland's movies always felt like they were missing something. Then this comes out and distracts you with fanservice before ripping your heart out. Rinse and repeat.