Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m less stoked about that because we already have a Miles Morales movie that happens to be the best looking animated film of all time while also being one of the best superhero movies of all time and a sequel is already on the way due out next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

More miles is good

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

Affirmative. Yes. Yo. Right on. My man.
I can imagine the animated Miles making a very quick Venom-esque cameo in the MCU but find it difficult to picture how a live-action/animated crossover with the significance of Peter 1 & 2 in NWH would work, especially with how stylised the SV universe is. MCU Miles will be awesome, I have no doubt.

But then again, if rumours are true that Dr Strange 2 features the What If? universe, complete with MCU Dr Strange being forcefully converted into animation, I guess anything's possible.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
lmao it’s been 25 years and we can finally loop back to Pagemaster

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i just want Tom Hardy to show up for real because the first Venom movie owned and he is amazing in the role but the second movie sucked on toast and he deserves a better reckoning

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

precision posted:

i just want Tom Hardy to show up for real because the first Venom movie owned and he is amazing in the role but the second movie sucked on toast and he deserves a better reckoning
I'm still bummed out they wasted Carnage on, well, a not as good sequel to the Venom movie. I feel like if anything, that'd have been the power play villain to bring out for Spidey and Venom's inevitable movie together.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I thought I was the only one who preferred the first Venom, nice

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Both skirt the borderline of being bad but the first one has more Hardy which saves it. 2 is also brought down by Eddie and Cassidy having very little to do with each other to the point they only really meet at the end.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Venom and Carnage literally only ever interact one time, and it’s during the final fight scene of the film. I know the screenwriters were feeling themselves on that one and it was weird but it really failed to deliver on the premise at all.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

massive spider posted:

Both skirt the borderline of being bad but the first one has more Hardy which saves it. 2 is also brought down by Eddie and Cassidy having very little to do with each other to the point they only really meet at the end.

Wait really? I haven't seen it but that's disappointing to hear because I like Woody Harrelson and thought he'd be great chewing scenery as Carnage. He's one of the two famous people who graduated from the tiny liberal arts college I went to for undergrad, and the only one we like to talk about because the other is Mike Pence lmao

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Harrelson is a lot of fun but he just shares very little screen time with the rest of the cast, it's a very disjointed movie

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Also they made the frankly bizarre decision to show him in a really stupid wig during the teaser to the sequel, and responded to the massive wave of backlash by having him appear in a different but no less obvious wig in the movie

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It was also funny that Harrelson was supposed to be the same age as Naomie Harris.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom 2 is astounding schlock.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
did they bring back Eminem for the soundtrack?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wait they don't interact until the end? The whole point of that pairing is that they argue and fight constantly...how did they miss the point

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Gnome de plume posted:

did they bring back Eminem for the soundtrack?

Yeah

CelticPredator posted:

Venom 2 is astounding schlock.
Literally the only time I've said this about a comic book movie but I wish it were longer.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I like the fact that Tobey has biological web shooters. It never made sense to me that classic Spider-Man has all the powers of a spider except for the most famous one.

I don't understand why Sandman attacked the Spider-Men at the end. He seemed like he was the only sane one and he actually wanted what the Peters were threatening.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

RBX posted:

Wait they don't interact until the end? The whole point of that pairing is that they argue and fight constantly...how did they miss the point

Eddie and Cleatus interact multiple times in the film. Carnage fights venom at the end though

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked Venom : Let there be Carnage, despite the disjointed parts. I still thought it was fun, and like Eddie constantly taking the stupidest possible solution, like at the end of the movie they've established that Carnage's weakness is sound and they know that, and know that Cletus's Girlfriend has powerful sound powers. And so they turn to her, and... slam her into a bell. That was hilarious. I also liked that Carnage's downfall was that Cletus was LESS of a psychopath than him. As soon as he turns on Cletus' love interest, Cletus turns on HIM.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

grittyreboot posted:

I like the fact that Tobey has biological web shooters. It never made sense to me that classic Spider-Man has all the powers of a spider except for the most famous one.

I don't understand why Sandman attacked the Spider-Men at the end. He seemed like he was the only sane one and he actually wanted what the Peters were threatening.

He says it fairly explicitly: he doesn't care about being cured. He just wants to go home. He doesn't like the risk of trying to cure people, he doesn't care if the Lizard or Electro or Doc Ock or Norman die. He just wants to go back to his world because he survived and he has a family.

Logically it should have been a three way battle where he wants to go home, electro lizard and Norman wanna stay, and the Peter's wanna cure everyone then send them home.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sandman seems to be specifically dragging his feet at the end specifically because he doesn't share either group's agenda- he doesn't really want to hang with the full on supervillains descending into megalomania and doesn't entirely trust Spider-man(s), but it seems he's not opposed to being cured, especially since it's implied he's losing control of his powers, but doesn't really understand what's happening to him.

He's actually fairly faithful to the comics in that Sandman is actually REALLY powerful, even moreso than a lot of Spider-man's rogues gallery who are much bigger threats than their low-level activities would suggest, but he doesn't really have the ambition or desire to use them for much more than robbing banks. I think one comic infamously showed if he actually wanted to kill Spider-man he could do so easily and in horrific fashion.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Sandman’s inclusion was so distracting. Of all of Peter’s villains he feels the most contrived and OP, and I never feel like Peter beats him in a satisfying way that makes sense. Sandman functions more like a Swamp Thing level god then a villain. Even in a movie opposite Electro it just seems like Sandman could easily, effortlessly just destroy Manhattan and shred Spidey like mincemeat by become a razor-bladed sandstorm desert twister and every Sandman fight is just Spidey lasting until the plot macguffin works or functions and deactivates Sandman.

I liked Carnage fine as a “thank god I’m vaccinated and can enjoy a movie” sort of reward for surviving COVID but as both a fan of Carnage and a huge fan of the first Venom film it completely loving sucked and lacked stakes of any kind and just completely wasted Harrelson and Hardy. There was a way to make this script more about developing the relationship between Cassidy and Brock, make it more personal. Imagine a comedy-action-horror film in which Eddie & Venom are being chased through the city by a serial killer, who almost catches them, but Eddie escapes, but not without Cassidy getting getting impaled by Venom and becoming Carnage…

I’m not a screenwriter but I just don’t understand how you can make a Venom/Carnage movie where Venom & Carnage only interact for 5 minutes at the very end. Just an insanely weak script with nothing going on.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I thought the villains being all over the place and having no kind of coordinated plan, and multiple conflicting motivations, worked well when paired with the Spider-Men making a similar realisation about themselves and working it out together.

Sandman's restraint when compared to the potential of his powers works just fine when you consider the "dagnabbit I don't want any trouble, I don't want to hurt anyone, please just leave me the gently caress alone" aspect of his character.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Yeah all the characters in NWH are drawn broadly but with enough that you get their motivations, which is its success in juggling that many.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Adrianics posted:

I thought the villains being all over the place and having no kind of coordinated plan, and multiple conflicting motivations, worked well when paired with the Spider-Men making a similar realisation about themselves and working it out together.

Sandman's restraint when compared to the potential of his powers works just fine when you consider the "dagnabbit I don't want any trouble, I don't want to hurt anyone, please just leave me the gently caress alone" aspect of his character.

Yeah, trying to go all 'tactical realism' is pretty especially bullshit given the whole point is that all of the characters are confused and disoriented, out of their element and figuring things out as they go- and in the case of the villains, unstable physically and mentally. I didn't get the contrast with the Spider-men actively making a point to coordinate and figure out how to work together, but it makes sense!

And like I said, Sandman is overpowered and yet lacks the initiative or ambition to actually use his power to a fraction of its full potential, and that's an interesting thing. He's a foe that Spidey traditionally has to display cunning, creativity, improvisation and even negotiation to defeat.

On the note of Carnage- honestly, Carnage always seemed like the whole point was that he's a one-note character, and Venom and Carnage don't actually have much to say to each other- eat or be eaten is about the extent of where their relationship can go.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

I fully expected Green Goblin to be the de facto leader of the Sinister Six, what they actually did instead - he just wants to be a raging rear end in a top hat, doesn't give a gently caress about a single one of the other villains, and only shows up right at the end once they're all subdued - was way better.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Speaking of Carnage, Jen Bartel dropped this variant cover of Capt. Carter and I’m obsessed.

https://twitter.com/heyjenbartel/status/1499454004908249089?s=21

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

He's actually fairly faithful to the comics in that Sandman is actually REALLY powerful, even moreso than a lot of Spider-man's rogues gallery who are much bigger threats than their low-level activities would suggest, but he doesn't really have the ambition or desire to use them for much more than robbing banks. I think one comic infamously showed if he actually wanted to kill Spider-man he could do so easily and in horrific fashion.

Sandman always hit me weird as a character, and this is probably why.

He's treated as on-par with Lizard or Green Goblin, but he's basically closer to Dr. Manhattan. Or, if Dr. Manhattan was a street criminal and not a particle physicist. He's effectively immortal and only loosely corporeal. He doesn't need air or water or food to survive. If someone dropped him into the Sahara, he could become the Sahara. If they launched him to Mars, he'd basically be able to subsume the entire planet. But yeah, he just wants to rob banks and stuff. It's bizarre.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I loved his exchange with Electro though.

"I fell into a particle accelerator."
"Really? I fell into a tank of electric eels."
"Gotta be careful what you fall into...."
"Yup..." (paraphrased, just thought it was funny)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Xealot posted:

Sandman always hit me weird as a character, and this is probably why.

He's treated as on-par with Lizard or Green Goblin, but he's basically closer to Dr. Manhattan. Or, if Dr. Manhattan was a street criminal and not a particle physicist. He's effectively immortal and only loosely corporeal. He doesn't need air or water or food to survive. If someone dropped him into the Sahara, he could become the Sahara. If they launched him to Mars, he'd basically be able to subsume the entire planet. But yeah, he just wants to rob banks and stuff. It's bizarre.

I cannot remember the actual issue but I KNOW this point was made in some comic in the late 80s/early 90s. They pointed out that New York is probably the literal worst place for Sandman to operate and if he went to any sort of desert biome he would be a Fantastic Four level threat, minimum.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

There's an arc villain in One Piece who basically has Sandman's power set (maybe LESS powerful, though he does have countermeasures to moisture- helpful when your weakness is water even moreso than other Devil Fruit users) and actually uses it smartly, even being based in a desert country where he has a ridiculous home turf advantage almost everywhere. Of course he's a top-tier threat that takes an entire arc and three rounds with the hero to defeat, and even then only really loses because he gets angry and sloppy, and some of that lovably unique shonen logic. He's weakened by water, and other liquids, so Luffy keeps punching him with fists covered in his own blood!

Electro is actually somewhat similar, though more that he's one of the most powerful by a long shot, but also wildly incompetent and tends to let all the power go to his head instantly.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sudden realisation with Doc Ock: the Iron Spider nanites being able to take over his tentacles seems too easy. But then you remember the whole reason why he's a supervillain, and why he can't regain control of the tentacles; the control system is broken. The broken chip literally leaves an opening to plug straight in and take over. And of all the villains, he's the one absolutely within MCU Peter Parker's skillset, having been working with Stark tech, cyborg interfaces and artificial intelligence for years at this point; of course he's the one villain that Peter manages to cure on his own without help from the other Spider-men. With a Stark fabricator on hand it's just a matter of fixing a faulty cyborg.

It goes both ways too, with Otto immediately understanding the implications of an arc reactor and even taking one home implicitly to fix his own fusion reactor hopefully without having to sacrifice himself. And fun implications of a timeline where Otto salvages his life's work enough with a last-second chance to introduce a technological revolution to the world.

Adrianics
Aug 15, 2006

God, I love the scene where he and Peter 2 interact so much. Literally the only thing about that moment I would change is it would have been even more powerful to have Peter call him "Dr Octavius" rather than "Otto".

"It's good to see you, dear boy. You're all grown up" :cry:

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Regrettably there's a whole that has yet to be filled by the comics, Spider-Verse or the MCU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivEm-Tjo6GM

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Holding Spider-man at gunpoint is actually one of the worst ideas you can have, Spider-sense and everything. Heck, the first ep of Spider-man Unlimited has JJJ's astronaut son on Counter-earth verify Spider-man is the real deal by shooting a gun at him without warning.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Spidey’s mutant reflexes dabbing on Stephen while Peter was literally banished from the corporeal realm into the astral plane is not my favorite scene from the movie, but just one of the many good examples of the filmmakers understanding what makes Spidey cool and let’s me know the screenplay is written by fans.

(Favorite scene is all 3 of them swinging in to battle together)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Bust Rodd posted:

Sandman’s inclusion was so distracting. Of all of Peter’s villains he feels the most contrived and OP, and I never feel like Peter beats him in a satisfying way that makes sense. Sandman functions more like a Swamp Thing level god then a villain. Even in a movie opposite Electro it just seems like Sandman could easily, effortlessly just destroy Manhattan and shred Spidey like mincemeat by become a razor-bladed sandstorm desert twister and every Sandman fight is just Spidey lasting until the plot macguffin works or functions and deactivates Sandman.

I liked Carnage fine as a “thank god I’m vaccinated and can enjoy a movie” sort of reward for surviving COVID but as both a fan of Carnage and a huge fan of the first Venom film it completely loving sucked and lacked stakes of any kind and just completely wasted Harrelson and Hardy. There was a way to make this script more about developing the relationship between Cassidy and Brock, make it more personal. Imagine a comedy-action-horror film in which Eddie & Venom are being chased through the city by a serial killer, who almost catches them, but Eddie escapes, but not without Cassidy getting getting impaled by Venom and becoming Carnage…

I’m not a screenwriter but I just don’t understand how you can make a Venom/Carnage movie where Venom & Carnage only interact for 5 minutes at the very end. Just an insanely weak script with nothing going on.

I don't like how Sandman can grow into a big roaring monster in the movies. Can he do that in the comics? Seems to me that his sand/concrete powers should be limited by his mass. Like where if he decides to grow that big then he's less solid and more like a giant sand ghost instead of a Dark Souls boss.

Also, co-sign that Venom 2 was a huge piece of poo poo. I really liked the first movie too but V2:LTBC was just stupid in all the wrong ways and, like you, I don't know how you can gently caress that up. Venom 1 was stupid in all the best ways, I found it hugely entertaining, funny and really liked how it was doing something different with the comic book movie formula. I usually like Woody Harrelson too but. god drat, this was just Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face levels of scenery chewing for no apparent reason that added nothing. Best thing I can say about it is that I wouldn't call it boring.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't like how Sandman can grow into a big roaring monster in the movies. Can he do that in the comics? Seems to me that his sand/concrete powers should be limited by his mass. Like where if he decides to grow that big then he's less solid and more like a giant sand ghost instead of a Dark Souls boss.

He totally can in the comics, and I don't think you quite understand comic book science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom 2 is so much better than venom 1 bc Serkis understands the lobster scene is why the first movie worked.