Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dafoe & Molena were just as enjoyable and had just as much chemistry as the Men-Spiders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Bust Rodd posted:

Dafoe & Molena were just as enjoyable and had just as much chemistry as the Men-Spiders

The scene with the pair of them bitching at one another in Happy’s apartment before Goblin went full ham was a highlight for me

I would watch a full two hours of those crotchety old men snipping at each other

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

stev posted:

I mean MJ in the Holland series is essentially the same role as MJ in every other universe. He's not going to meet and fall in love with another woman called MJ lol.

If they don't bring Zendaya back I imagine there'll be a Gwen. (or a Gwyn?)

I don't have the drive to go back and check, but have they really never referred to her as anything besides "MJ" before? I would have sworn they'd named her Mary Jane once or twice but that could just be the force of suggestion.

forest spirit posted:

yeah that doesn't stick, the villains are the same but they serve a different narrative purpose

if we're gonna jack terms from other mediums then I gotta say if it was a speedrun, then he would have done all the poo poo from the other movies but quicker, that's how those work lol

if it was a speedrun he would, ASAP,

kill goblin with his own whip
fry doc's chip and convince him through the circumstances he finds himself in upon awakening to self-sacrifice
merk electro
cure lizard
have sand-man kinda give up and just want to peace out and be a dusty fella

lol cd has some of the most pedantic rear end posters goddamn

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I don't have the drive to go back and check, but have they really never referred to her as anything besides "MJ" before? I would have sworn they'd named her Mary Jane once or twice but that could just be the force of suggestion.

Her name's Michelle Jones.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 19, 2021

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Phenotype posted:

lol cd has some of the most pedantic rear end posters goddamn

I thought using speedrun was a stupid remark so I sketched out what it would actually mean to the film and yeah it being dumb is the point, but do you think I'm trying to argue with the poster that he isn't using speedrun correctly or something, because I'm not "ackshuallying" speedrun here while pushing my glasses up the bridge of my nose

Andrew Garfield should get something Spidey to chew on in the next couple of years

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Fun moments for a movie with no plot and no real motivations from the villains, and another lovely ending with the “you have to suffer to be great” standard lovely puritanical marvel brand.

TH is fantastic as usual, and good to Z for getting a nice pay check to hang out with her friends and make out with her real boyfriend.

I also can’t feel bad because Andrew Garfield finally got to star in a popular Spiderman film, and he looked so happy.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Does everyone across the universes forget all Peter Parker’s? Because that would suck rear end for all of them besides tom holland. Like are Toby and Andrew now also forgotten in their universes?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Cosmograph Kramer posted:

Does everyone across the universes forget all Peter Parker’s? Because that would suck rear end for all of them besides tom holland. Like are Toby and Andrew now also forgotten in their universes?

Yeah but Maguire can't have many people left in his life by this point. His friends are all dead, May looked like a strong wind would have killed her 20 years ago and he wasn't exactly in the best place with MJ or Gwen at the end of SM3.

stev fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 20, 2021

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Uh I don't think they all forget, only Holland is forgotten. Maguire's and Garfield's universes are unaffected. Or at least that's how I understood it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What I want to know is how a piece of symbiote got left behind. The implication was that the symbiote - not Brock - knew of Peter Parker which is why they were transported there. So surely the spell would have sent all of the symbiote back. It's not just a piece of goo that fell of Tom Hardy
- it's a sentient being and subject to the parameters of the spell.
0/10

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
There's actually a lore reason

venom doesn't know about Holland!Peter but he does know about the multidimensional concept of Spider-Man/Peter Parker through the symbiote crossdimensional hivemind established at the end of Venom 2.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The mind wipe spell falls apart the instant you even think about it. What about all of the print/internet, etc media that had surely been generated up to that point regarding Parker being Spider-Man? And this spell affects the universe!? The power of this spell would have to be massive, which makes it even more implausible that Strange would suggest and attempt it at the beginning of the movie.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kaddish posted:

The mind wipe spell falls apart the instant you even think about it. What about all of the print/internet, etc media that had surely been generated up to that point regarding Parker being Spider-Man? And this spell affects the universe!? The power of this spell would have to be massive, which makes it even more implausible that Strange would suggest and attempt it at the beginning of the movie.

Also at the end MJ is wearing the pendant Peter gave her. So...does she think some rando gave it to him?

By the way the scene at Happy Hogan's apartment and Peter Spider sense goes off and he figures out Green Goblin has taken over Norman Osborn. Was really well done I thought.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Also, how does this whole curing thing even work? Clearly Toby man is much older, so Octavious should be dead but now isn’t and is also cured in that universe? Makes no sense.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kaddish posted:

Also, how does this whole curing thing even work? Clearly Toby man is much older, so Octavious should be dead but now isn’t and is also cured in that universe? Makes no sense.

I assume it blinks them back into existence before their death or just resurrects them cured? At least Sandman and Lizard didn't die right? Also...Sandman's inclusion fell flat to me

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
The problem I have is we’re approaching infinity gauntlet power levels here and Dr. Strange of ALL people should have known and respected that in the beginning of the movie.

Like, it was totally out of character for him and he comes off as sort of a naive rear end in a top hat.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
It was an easy spell, he even pointed that out to Wong. What amplified it is Peter had him change it several times on the fly and wouldn’t shut up while he was casting it. They explain this in the movie.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

It was an easy spell, he even pointed that out to Wong. What amplified it is Peter had him change it several times on the fly and wouldn’t shut up while he was casting it. They explain this in the movie.

It's explained it was hosed up because Peter kept interrupting him, but I must have missed where it was explained that the spell was somehow amplified. Even if the spell had worked without a hitch, that's still an extremely drat powerful spell, no?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Kaddish posted:

Truly, a wizard did it.

Kwanzaa Quickie posted:

The original spell still had to wipe the entire world's memory and all of the print and digital media about it, so if that's 'a simple spell' for these wizards then imagine what the world would be like if they applied even a fraction of that kind of power to make it a better place. But then we're getting into 'imagine if Tony Stark shared free energy with the world' territory and it always ends with realization that the MCU is all about maintaining the status quo because capitalism.

Kalko fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 20, 2021

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

Best little micro joke was Andrew Garfield getting all flustered at being called Peter Three

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Dec 20, 2021

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Kaddish posted:

The problem I have is we’re approaching infinity gauntlet power levels here and Dr. Strange of ALL people should have known and respected that in the beginning of the movie.

Like, it was totally out of character for him and he comes off as sort of a naive rear end in a top hat.

Stephen Strange is also the guy who gave the Time Stone to Thanos in exchange for the dubious benefits of not killing Tony Stark right there.

I won't re-post the whole thing but in the Comic Book Movies thread, I suggest Strange's actions in this movie are still part of the "once chance for us to win" vision he tells Tony something about in Infinity War. Consider that at the end of this movie Tony Stark is still dead, Stark Industries is apparently being seized by the feds and no one remembers MCU Peter Parker so he'll never be the "heir of Tony Stark" and regain access to all that super-technology which he could use to accidentally wreck the Earth is a reckless bit of ill-thought-out do-goodery.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My guess and hope is that Zendaya sticks around as MJ but they introduce Felicia Hardy - the Black Cat. If Peter's all alone maybe it fits to give him a tempting romance rival kind of thing that treads in similar circles as him. It could be fun if they get someone with good chemistry to play off Holland.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Did anyone get the feeling that Tobey's Peter was a counseler or teacher for troubled kids or something. There was Garfield's "youth pastor" joke about his clothes, and when they're all shooting the poo poo later Tobey's Peter starts advising Garfield about his "negative self talk". There was also the way he chilled out Holland's murder rage by just looking him in the eyes. I don't know if I'm just making all these connections or there was an implication there but it would certainly fit his Peter.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Baronash posted:

Wasn’t a fan of getting a trailer for the post credits scene though.

Completely agree. It took me a second to realize what was happening and I was severely disappointed.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ChesterJT posted:

Completely agree. It took me a second to realize what was happening and I was severely disappointed.

I was disappointed that they yanked Venom away from the MCU, therefore kinda killing half the impact of the post credits scene from his movie. At least release a little TV special for it, gosh dangit! Or give them a scene!

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Kaddish posted:

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Anyone have a good recap video for my dad to watch prior to seeing this? He hasn't seen the last two movies. I think he has seen Civil War and Avengers if that matters.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?

KingKapalone posted:

Anyone have a good recap video for my dad to watch prior to seeing this? He hasn't seen the last two movies. I think he has seen Civil War and Avengers if that matters.

Just watch the Topher Grace venom scenes and you'll be ready

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

The Bee posted:

I was disappointed that they yanked Venom away from the MCU, therefore kinda killing half the impact of the post credits scene from his movie. At least release a little TV special for it, gosh dangit! Or give them a scene!

I admit that I'd watch 30 minutes of Eddie and Venom processing all the poo poo that's gone down in the MCU while slowly getting hammered at a Tijuana bar.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Goddamn. Beginning to end that was the best Marvel movie experience I've had in a packed IMAX theatre since Infinity War.

Shrimpy
May 18, 2004

Sir, I'm going to need to see your ticket.
Personally very excited for Flash Thompson Venom leading to a Spider-man/MJ reunion at MIT.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Karloff posted:

Did anyone get the feeling that Tobey's Peter was a counseler or teacher for troubled kids or something. There was Garfield's "youth pastor" joke about his clothes, and when they're all shooting the poo poo later Tobey's Peter starts advising Garfield about his "negative self talk". There was also the way he chilled out Holland's murder rage by just looking him in the eyes. I don't know if I'm just making all these connections or there was an implication there but it would certainly fit his Peter.

Given Peter in the comics has been a high school science teacher, that's kind of where my mind went for what Tobey's been up to.

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

I wish we got more of that, to be honest. it's been 14 years and we don't hear any more of the villains Spider Man has been up against? I just wanted to know more about what Tobey Spider Man had been up to. Though I guess we know he's still with MJ

Context
Sep 11, 2006

KingKapalone posted:

https://youtu.be/4ZvVOvze490

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

So like, are the Raimi and Webb films part of the MCU now?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

So like, are the Raimi and Webb films part of the MCU now?

In the sense that they're part of the Marvel Multiverse, sure? However, we're not going to be following the Garfield or Maguire Spider-Men because they're still in their own universes because Tom Holland is "our" Spider-Man. Maybe Garfield and/or Maguire might lend their voices to some What If? eps featuring their Spider-Men if we're lucky.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Argue posted:

Also, this could all have been avoided if Peter had asked Strange to cast "make everyone forget Mysterio's broadcast" instead of "make everyone forget Spider-man is Peter".

Wouldn't everyone still know his identity, just forget HOW they knew? There are plenty of things. know but I can't remember where I heard them first.

regarding the ending While its nice that it takes away some of Holland spiders ridiculous iron man gadgets stuff, having no one know Peter Parker at all is kind of odd, since typically Spider-man stories involve a lot of Peters personal relationships with his friends and Aunt-May, even if they dont know his secret identity. Now he's just a straight up zero friends man with no name, which is going to be a challenge for whoever picks up the next script to write a new supporting cast.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Dec 20, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Not really. Peter can meet new friends and start a new life.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

CelticPredator posted:

Or reconnect with his old ones. I mean, it's MIT in the MCU. Figure somebody over there's gonna go cookoo for cocoa puffs and shoot off a bigass sky-laser eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

Well yeah I mean that's what they'll do, its just gonna be odd if the next movie cast is a total clean break from the last one save Holland.

Is Peter gonna date a Gwen Stacy and meet a Harry Osborne? If so, doesn't he have kind of a hint as to where they're going since he met the other universe spider mens who mentioned them? Or is it a cast of totally new OC spider friends?