Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah lesson learned for me on that one. I don't think I'll be taking a Wild Mage or Neera again on an Ironman lol. If my run is gonna end I want it to be of my own incompetence and not from random chance :v:. Then again I'm still playing a Monk right now so it's not like I'm not still a huge idiot.

If (when) this run ends in disaster I'm not sure where I'll go next either. I did like the idea of a Blade a lot but died several times before even finishing the mines so I gave up on it for now and went back to my Monk dreams. I was playing kind of sloppy those runs though.

I did a monk the first time I ever played BG and she solo'd most fights in BG2. You can become immune to almost everything with a high level monk and for the other fights you have the NPC's!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Angry Lobster posted:

I was thinking about playing a cleric of Lathander when my current character inevitably dies. Seems like a very decent kit.

Monks get a sweet powerspike at 14 and fall off a bit in epic levels, still pretty fun to run around super fast and punching people in the face until they explode.

Not going to argue that. Beat 2 and the expansion with a monk and running around at superspeed is really fun.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

My first BG1 ironman victory ever was as a blade (in a gimmicky almost-all-bards party, no less), so it is possible! My general feeling is that, just as the game is winnable with any class, the ironman variant game is losable with any class so pretty much just play what you want.

Yeah I think they're pretty solid once they get access to some mage spells. Stoneskin + Mirror Image = pretty good survivability.

But I agree, anything is possible in bg1 Ironman-wise. Some obviously require more attention than others, but I'm quite confident I could Ironman any class in bg1. The furthest I ever got in an ironman was tob. I lost to Improved Yaga Sura because my Archer's portrait was so covered in buffs I didn't realize I was taking too much damage and I died. Was quite tragic

Man with Hat posted:

I did a monk the first time I ever played BG and she solo'd most fights in BG2. You can become immune to almost everything with a high level monk and for the other fights you have the NPC's!

They're pretty solid at higher levels. AC scales well and so does the magic resist. If I can make it to late Bg2 I'll be in good shape, but that's a looong way away. They're not completely useless in bg1 though. Just gotta really micro them.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

My little halfling cleric is still plugging along. Finally got a bad level up (just +5 HP) at level 6, but got a welcome +10 at level 7. Only 1 more level to go in BG1.

Meanwhile I've done all the unnamed wilderness areas except the zombie farm and red wizard hideout. I've also done the personal quest of all the EE characters and now Yeslick has the big-fisted belt. Gonna head back to the FAI, boot that nerd Rasaad to the curb and pick Dorn (who was super mad about my reputation) back up.

Will briefly nip into the Iron Throne to get the ring of free action, and then it's gonna be time to clear out Durlag's Tower tomorrow. Haven't done it in about 3 years. This'll probably be fine.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Lots of progress for the multiplayer party with Hans The Avenger

Killed Kahrk by landing a wand of paralyze on him. He was doing a lot of damage to Dorn before then. Got almost scary

Cleared Firewine too, mostly without incident.

hosed up those bandits to the south

Finished other east zones. Basilisk I had Edwin use protection from petrify on everyone plus rested once to re-apply it when I thought it might wear off. Was taking it real carefully there

The crew took out the Bandit camp and is now preparing to go to Cloakwood. The entire map is cleared except for the zones north of friendly arm inn and Cloakwood. Hans is now level 7. I forgot how good call woodland beings is. It summons a Nymph who comes with her own set of spells including confusion, mass cure wounds, hold monster, call lightning, hold person....she's a beast.

Dreading Durlags and hoping my memory is as good as I brag about it being with the traps in there :v:.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Quick update about Beefslab's adventures in Amn.

Beefslab, the dwarf barbarian escapes from Chateau Irenicus

After escaping from the clutches of our good pal Irenicus, Beefslab solves the Circus mystery and heads to the slums.

Freeing some slaves in the Copper Coronet.

Some tough fights trying to enter the slavers compound.

Too close at times.

Heck, at some point, an enemy mage managed to cast a hold person spell (never saw or herd the mage casting it, wtf) and I was ready to to reroll, luckily for me oly one enemy come to hit the helpless Beefslab and it was unable to kill him in time before the spell wore off.

It’s better to be lucky rather than good.

My first priority after dealing with the slavers was to acquire Daystar from the lich at the gates district, amazing weapon.

Dealing with Trademeet's troubles, such an easy questline.

Killing the shade and elemental liches, you know where this is going.

Fighting Kangaxx lich form, and yes, I’m using a scroll of protection from magic, sue me.

The demilich form doesn’t last long, at some point an official patch updated Daystar’s stats and it now effectively counts as a +4 weapon against evil creatures, so it works against Kangaxx, also dealing double damage due to it being an undead, and the additional magic damage is not affected by his physical damage reduction to boot, a perfect way to kill this jerk.

Mae’Var questline completed. Next: De’Arnise Keep. Here is where I finally run out of luck and misplaying hard.

I got too comfy with the golems.

Yiiikes!

Run boy run!

Crisis solved, too close for my taste. Let’s continue cleaning up the castle.

Do you remember about a dude named Glaicus in the second floor? The charmed dude with a big sword and plate armor that chugs potions non-stop?

Yep.

:v:

It was so sudden I even forgot about taking more pictures. How it happened? Overconfidence as always, that guy hits like a truck, never missed a hit and is hasted, so he chased and run me down while I tried to escape.

Beefslab died like he lived, being an idiot and not paying attention

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Judeau went to cave and fought some Meat Golems for their sweet XP and for a book. Thank you Potion of Absorption for making me drat near immune to crushing. 19 Con and level 6 leaves you with a shitload of health

Turns out Vampiric Wolves are just as susceptible to Web as everything else

Then I remembered to kill Bassilus and his family with bombs!

We got a book for a dead guy to read

When are these assassins gonna learn? Also I love Web

But all good things must come to an end and mine came at the hands of Kahrk. I did not at all realize what I was heading into with this one, holy poo poo.

Rest in peace Judeau, you will be missed

I think I'll try this exact character again soon. With the same party but, like, be lightning resistant against this ogre mage next time or bring the ogre mage killing arrow. He was terrifying.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Durlag's Tower is a very dangerous place. The fights are bad enough. The traps, though.

The traps.

This is the 2nd subterranean level--where you have the dopplegangers that shoot stinking clouds. It's also VERY DANGEROUS AND TRAPPED.

And unlike most other levels in Baldur's Gate, the traps are agnostic as to what triggers them. It's why you need to summon something to get smooshed on the sub4 thing that does like 80 damage--ANYTHING, friend or foe, will trigger traps.

Including the tunnel with various ghasts that all summoned fireballs and nuked poor Baeloth to permadeath. I wonder if he'll appear in SoD. He's certainly not appearing in the rest of THIS campaign, though!

I stashed the party's gear in a statue and booked it back to the Friendly Arm. I've picked up Garrick, who is no Baeloth, but he *does* have the ability to use the light crossbow of speed and will put those awesome bolts to work. The real loss here is my losing the only source of "Invisibility, 10' Radius" in the game--which is how I avoid getting splattered when I re-enter Ulgoth's after I get soultaker. But whatever, I can work around this.

Will head back to Durlag's and finish floor 2, then pop upstairs and do all of that. That should be enough to get Alis to level 8.

Nasty setback, but manageable.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Continuing my trend of choosing super-good characters, just the best possible class choices, I present:

Shaw, the Half-Elf Shapeshifter

(I am in fairness using the SCS Improved Shapeshifting component, which is not nearly as broken as the ludicrous version included in Tweaks Anthology but which is still nicer than vanilla in some respects.)

More to come!

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Wasn't really feeling like doing the whole Candlekeep thing yet, so Nixon's Ladies and pals just:

Got poisoned and then got better. Do you have to drink the potions with everyone in the EE? I always do, but the journal entry seems to have triggered as Viccy picked up Marek's stuff.

We also did the dead kid's corpse in Umberlee's temple during all this, and I gave Coran three (!) potions of master thievery after that to try and pick-pocket the head priestess. Well, he got a gem out of her just fine, but fumbled on the second try, and we killed them all :dawkins101: But I got the wisdom tome back, and it didn't ding my reputation, so maybe it's all still good?

Why are there trans-dimensional spiders in the sewers, ugh.

Scar's little errand finished, I think we're done with most of the run-around-the-city-quests. Ones I remembered, anyway.

So, now we're faced with a choice. Do we start the on-a-rail-sequence from the Iron Throne through Candlekeep Catacombs to dodging the freaking Fist, or do we go poke around TotSC content for a bit? Problem is, I don't really remember much about stuff past the Catacombs section, and I certainly don't have Durlag's memorized :ohno: So, either way, I think my run is about to end with something dumb.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I'd vote for finishing the game over doing ToTSC, having just done that. There's a lot of nice XP in ToTSC, but I maxed out the 161K cap on the last but one lower level of Durlag's. Which meant that a lot of XP was wasted. None of the gear there was really essential either, though there are some nice things.

I loved Durlag's Tower and liked ToTSC overall, but it was my first run. Dunno if I'd do it on an ironman.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Durlags is a handful and especially if you don't know where all the traps are. In many cases they do give you a visual indicator of bad traps (eg, a lot of bodies on the floor near where a trap will be) but there are some traps where there is no indicator. One of them is a wall trap which will insta gib you.

My advice if you do Durlags and don't remember the traps would be to google maps of each area and mark where all the traps are. Perhaps not the most sporting thing to do but I think most Ironman runs are done with the assumption that you've beaten the game enough times to remember where things are so I doubt anyone would begrudge you looking at a guide

Hans The Avenger, multiplayer run

Made their way through Cloakwood. Blue Margaret died once due to a poorly aimed fireball from Edwin :v:. Hans never came in any real danger though.

Dorn + Spiderbane + web = profit.

Fireball shenanigans commenced here

Daevorn went down to a wand of frost + a concerted volley of spells/arrows. He actually died really quickly.

Having completed Cloakwood, the gang noticed their rep was getting to unsavorily high levels, so we went and killed Algernon for his cloak and the 6 rep hit

Hans is now almost level 8 (Druids level fast), and we're headed to Baldur's Gate and then TOTSC.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

I know Durlag's certainly isn't necessary for anything, the problem on my end is that I'm convinced that both choices will lead to a stupid failure some way or another. Lately when I've played the trilogy normally using quicksaves, I usually lose steam in BG1 around the Catacombs by the latest and just export from there since I've gotten all the tomes, so my last memories of running around the FF goons are sketchy at best. So is it more "fun" to die to the stupid Durlag's fight against the emotion dwarves, or lose to the dukes getting eaten by doppelgangers? (Or whatever way I end up biting it, you get the idea!)

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
I usually just beeline to the last floor. There isn't really anything amazing in Durlag's before that. I'm not gonna fight 4 doomsayers at once for a lovely buckler and flail. I'm not going through the backstab garden for an axe I'm not even sure is magical.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Anorag the half-orc fighter/thief heads to Ulcaster's school.

For the potion of genius (Xan is ready to learn level 2 spells) and another wand of fire, of course!

A single scorcher from a wand of fire is enough to kill a vampiric wolf. Free 2000 exp!

That's right motherfuckers, I'm putting pips in darts!!

Holy poo poo the basilisk waylaid encounter! It fortunately chose to "attack" Khalid instead of spamming its gaze ability, so everyone was able to escape.

Xan successfully learned all of his level 2 spells. There will be more later, but these are immediately useful (and available)

Back to the ankheg lair, my lust for their death subsided and boredom kicked in when everyone reached about 16,000 exp. Time to roam the coast!

I'm grateful Shoal didn't actually kill Khalid and that I managed to interrupt all of the ogre mage's spells before he died. The helm of defense is great, a bit of fire/cold/lightning res and an ever useful +1 to all saves.

Xan is so useful. I'll never underestimate enchanters again. In BG1, anyway.

Something scary and weird happened. Anorag was dire charmed mid killing blow so I didn't get the 2000 exp.

That's right, Xan is an elf! He can't be dire charmed! Eat poo poo, sirines!

Then it was the flesh golems' turn because ...

Hey baby. You're gonna get used a whole lot.

That wand is soooo good.

Xan's was ready for level 3 spells so quickly. It turns out the temple at the Friendly Arm Inn sells potions of genius AND mind focusing. Xan didn't fail to learn a single level 3 spell.

Anorag the half-orc fighter/thief is on her way to clear the bandit camp.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shaw the Half-Elf Shapeshifter has liberated the Nashkel mines.

SCS's Improved Shapeshifting component makes one key adjustment to the vanilla druid shapeshifting mechanism, as well as adjusting the Shapeshifter kit in a few other ways. The biggest change, and it's a good'n, is that instead of having a limited number of transformations a day, you get a 'token', equippable in a weapon slot, that lets you transform at will. You cannot cast spells in werewolf form, buffs (or debuffs) to strength and dex don't work at all, and the token is considered a two-handed weapon (presumably to avoid getting benefits from off-hand weapons or shields or whatnot, but it also means that Two-Handed Weapon Style is a benefit, as opposed to Single Weapon style in vanilla).

These are the stats for the lesser werewolf form you start with. You get an upgrade at level 7, and again at level 13. Nothing exceptional (a high-strength fighter could do better) but nothing to sneeze at either. (Unlike vanilla, the first form doesn't count as a magic weapon, at least I don't think so, though I've yet to really put it to the test. The level 7 form counts as a +1 weapon and I believe the level 13 counts as a +3 one, which is a definite improvement over vanilla).

In practice, it's been pretty good, and Shaw in werewolf form has been a decent front-line melee fighter.

Anyway, Shaw goes through the usual early game paces. I normally cut across High Hedge to visit Beregost before heading up to the Friendly Arm Inn, because, between Tweaks Anthology moving some NPCs out of late-game areas and all the NPC mods I'm rolling with, I can put together a decent crew before facing Tarnesh, including my choice of (at present) four clerics. Right now I'm rolling with Imoen (back to a multiclass thief/mage) and Breagar again, as well as a drow Assassin called Vynd, and a cleric of Tyr called Drake. I briefly recruit Neera but we're still picking bits of cow out of everything, so we liberate her of her gem bag and send her on her merry. We'll eventually fill the arcane hole in our party and in our hearts with Dynaheir.

This comes up in conversation with Vynd when he informs us that he's not in any sense a good person. It's hard to argue with his logic, really. And when I tell him that it's fine as long as he doesn't betray us

Seems a sensible enough lad, by adventurer standards.

We make our way toward Nashkel. I know we can resolve this Flaming Fist encounter peacefully, but (a) I want their plate armor and (b) AFFAB.

We also meet Viconia in this region, moved here from...where is she normally? Spider Forest?

Breagar is not what you would call a fan. (He doesn't give a poo poo about Vynd, probably because there's no crossmod content for them.)

Spoilers: he does not.

I've always found Viconia's logic here charming. "NO NO IT'S COOL I'M NOT EVIL LIKE THE OTHER DROW I WORSHIP AN EVIL *SURFACE* GODDESS, IT'S FINE".

I rarely party up with Viconia, and today isn't going to be the exception.

Drake is from Amn. We mention it because he will. A lot. A lot.

This lady's son and his fiancee vanished while out for a picnic. She recommends we talk to a ranger who's hanging out in the Temple of Nashkel. He tells us that it looks like he got grabbed by gnolls, but more

It does not look like there's a happy conclusion to this story.

We find the ghost (at night only) at the base of the Dryad Falls. She tells us that Adam told her to stay awake because he had a present for her. (Oh geez...)

We make our way to the gnoll fortress. The giants guarding the bridge normally have the Dexterity gauntlets but thanks to the Item Randomizer they are instead the proud owners of

I do not consider this an adequate substitute at all!

We rescue Dynaheir and our party is complete. (The journal in question is part of her BG1 NPC quest)

We also find this ring in the hands of some gnolls. It appears to be the present Marina was "staying awake" for. Adam himself is in one of the other pits, and we liberate him.

The Charisma Tome, like all the tomes, is fair game for randomization and there's a 25% chance that such items will be left alone. We get lucky this time, and Shaw is now the most charismatic wannabe werewolf on the Sword Coast. (She's also got Algernon's cloak since I invested early into pickpocketing for once.)

Back in Nashkel we return Adam to his mum and break the bad news about Marina. We agree to give her the ring so her soul can be at peace. Which we will (eventually) do.

Mulahey's kind of a pain in the rear end this time around but in the end he gets his, and we get...some armor instead of the Sune ring.

We also find this note next to a dead messenger. Hmmmmmmm.

Finally, we return to town and kill Nimbul. At one point he fires off a sequencer and goes invisible, which Rasaad takes as his cue to chat us up about the Order Of The Sun Soul, but a Glitterdust and a bit of feigned enthusiasm solve both problems.

No exploding cows were dropped from a great height during the filming of this program.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Cool updates.

Wondered about that Improved Shapeshifting component in SCS, those tokens look like a cool idea. Will try out a druid in a later run. So much replayability to these games with all these cool mods and a very large number of pretty well-designed encounters to try out new stuff with.

Watch your iron, all ye brave adventurers.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Holy poo poo the basilisk waylaid encounter! It fortunately chose to "attack" Khalid instead of spamming its gaze ability, so everyone was able to escape.

I keep scrolls/pots available for just that occasion. I'm always terrified it will happen but the potion should be poppable quickly enough before the gaze hits if you don't panic and remember to do it

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Gimil Stoneheart, the Fighter/Cleric has successfully assembled Team Jerk (and a begrudging Imoen).

Our story begins after the usual Candlekeep tomfoolery (and 10 minutes of rerolls to get a 91 in total stats). After pairing up with Imoen and the first two random people he met, Gimil barely survived an assassination attempt at the Friendly Arm Inn. He then decided that none of the people he was traveling with, including his foster dad's old friends, weren't quite up to snuff, so he ditched them all (except Imoen, who really is very persistent) to go find some worthy companions. Led by forces he didn't understand to the east from the inn, he stepped in against a Flaming Fist Merc that was harassing a perfectly fine Drow. After discovering that Flaming Fist plate fit dwarves just fine, he mugged the next few Flaming Fist guards he met on the highway (who basically started it anyway) to get his new friend Kagain another slightly used set of plate and held on to the others. He then met a talented mage who asked him for a hit on a probably nefarious witch. After picking up Dorn (the reason I was assembling Team Jerk in the first place) and giving him another set of plate from the guards we mugged, we beelined to the gnoll fortress, where Dorn ate the Charisma Tome, and the witch hit was successful.

From there, Gimil noticed he was starting to get some suspicious looks from townsfolk (-4 reputation for hanging around with Dorn and Viconia is harsh), so the band begrudgingly went on a goodwill tour of running people's errands for them and returning lost jewelry that wasn't really worth that much to begin with.

Imoen keeps muttering about hanging around with such shady people, but she's feeling a bit better now that we did some errands and are sitting at a reasonable 10 reputation. Now, everyone is on board with wandering the countryside, doing some non-reputation affecting quests to level up a bit, then blitzing the mines.

Capfalcon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Jan 4, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Let's try this again.

Blend, another Kensai with insane stats throwing a lot of knives in BG1

See, I need the OP class because I keep letting stuff like this happen

Melicamp dies. First time that's ever happened to me

For the first time in an iron man run I actually fight Basilisks. No wonder it's gone poorly when I did a million things before this, I got three levels for Imoen I think!

And then just as I walk into the last three of them my spell ends. Oops! Rested in a corner, recast and killed the last ones easily enough though. It was a good choice to not use the PC with resistance to tank basilisks.

I even planned ahead and brought some stone to flesh in case this happened.

Poor Greywolf slept through his entire final fight

Ended this session with Nashkel mines cleared out.

Dunno what's gonna happen next, I don't plan things!

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Demon Knight and Aec'Lectec are defeated.

Kinda cheated on Aec, though. He wiped everyone but my main, and I used the ring of invisibility + all my remaining potions of mirrored eyes to go downstairs/upstairs and stash everyone's gear in a bookcase. Then ran to Baldur's Gate, rezzed them, and came back and killed him.

I'm gonna go with "the tanar'ri was too stupid to leave the basement for 24 hours, since all the cult guards were dead and couldn't be like "go upstairs, dummy."

Still have Upper Durlag's, Werewolf Island, various nonsense in Baldur's Gate, and then Candlekeep-->Finale

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Anorag the half-orc fighter/thief presents: the bandit camp, in pictures.

~part un~ outdoor

Hi, Taurgosz.

Uh oh, Taurgosz.

Bye, Taurgosz.

~part deux~ inside the big tent

End of round 1: one guy already dead to focused fire, the archer and the gnoll are panicking, and the mage has a firebreathing Khalid in his face.

End of round 2: Second tick of the potion of firebreathing finishes off the mage and the gnoll is focus fired to death.

End of round who cares: the panicking archer is cornered and cut down. Damage taken: zero. Fucks given: zero.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have defeated the Greater Wolfwere/Karoug. It was not enjoyable.

Also, Durlag's Tower is really good content but the bossfights in TotSC are just bullshit.

DemonKnight has access to things you can't reasonably counter in BG1.
Aec'Lectec has a bullshit death gaze attack that *does* have a counter but I can't see how people would know about it beforehand.
The Greater Wolfwere is the worst of them. "Do you have a bastard sword user AND have you done some random quests that'll give you one of the 2 swords NOT on the island that can hurt it?"

Just insane regen. Why can't Cernd be that good?

Anyway, only content left to clear is now:
1.) Return to Werewolf Village
2.) Return to Ulgoth's Beard/Mendas fight
3.) Candlekeep
4.) Ducal Palace
5.) Undercity and Finale

...I probably won't bother with the party right outside Sarevok's temple. They're awful.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FairGame posted:

Aec'Lectec has a bullshit death gaze attack that *does* have a counter but I can't see how people would know about it beforehand.

Figuring out this loving fight on my first playthrough was one of the most satisfying experiences in video games. It took me days. Real life days.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
All of Aec'Letec's bullshit (death gaze, silence, paralyze) allows a save to negate the effect. Potions of magic shielding make your saves automatic. And while he does like to pick on injured party members, he won't follow them upstairs. I mean yeah, he's bullshit, but it's not insurmountable.

Greater wolfweres / loups garou are resistant but not immune to magic and they have no particular status immunities. You can stun them with the wand of paralyzation.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

All of Aec'Letec's bullshit (death gaze, silence, paralyze) allows a save to negate the effect. Potions of magic shielding make your saves automatic. And while he does like to pick on injured party members, he won't follow them upstairs. I mean yeah, he's bullshit, but it's not insurmountable.

Greater wolfweres / loups garou are resistant but not immune to magic and they have no particular status immunities. You can stun them with the wand of paralyzation.

I think Aec'Letec can also be stunned by the wand of paralyze iirc, though it would require him to fail the magic resist check and his save. Potions of magic shielding last 3 turns either way so that should be plenty of time to clear his henchmen and summon a wall of monsters around him. Best to have several on your PC just in case though. And also make sure you have several characters with dispel magic memmed just in case. I think the gaze attack even if it does hit you takes 30 seconds to gib you so you have time to try to dispel it if the worst happens.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I mean, he didn't kill me. I had all the stuff on my main as a contingency should the worst happen and then it did.

I still don't think it's good design.

Anyway about to go beat up Sarevok.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Here's a question I'm pondering since it's been some time since I did Durlags and I should be there soon (*knock on wood*).

Break the mirror vs Demon Knight or don't?

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
I have never, ever used the mirror.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Ginette Reno posted:

Here's a question I'm pondering since it's been some time since I did Durlags and I should be there soon (*knock on wood*).

Break the mirror vs Demon Knight or don't?

Don't. 1 enemy is always easier than many enemies.

Also I just killed Sarevok. On the way, a green slime exploded Imoen. Didn't know they did that. Anyway, she clearly got better since she's right here in SoD.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
Yeah green slime have a roll or explode poison. Ye Ole Inn is the most dangerous place in the game.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

I have never, ever used the mirror.

FairGame posted:

Don't. 1 enemy is always easier than many enemies.

Also I just killed Sarevok. On the way, a green slime exploded Imoen. Didn't know they did that. Anyway, she clearly got better since she's right here in SoD.

I've always used it but I dunno why that became a habit for me. Iirc the summoned demon knight just attacks the other demon knight but the dopplegangers can be annoying since they use minor sphere and like to cast confusion/fireball

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Capfalcon posted:

Gimil Stoneheart, the Fighter/Cleric has successfully assembled Team Jerk (and a begrudging Imoen).

Our story begins after the usual Candlekeep tomfoolery (and 10 minutes of rerolls to get a 91 in total stats). After pairing up with Imoen and the first two random people he met, Gimil barely survived an assassination attempt at the Friendly Arm Inn. He then decided that none of the people he was traveling with, including his foster dad's old friends, weren't quite up to snuff, so he ditched them all (except Imoen, who really is very persistent) to go find some worthy companions. Led by forces he didn't understand to the east from the inn, he stepped in against a Flaming Fist Merc that was harassing a perfectly fine Drow. After discovering that Flaming Fist plate fit dwarves just fine, he mugged the next few Flaming Fist guards he met on the highway (who basically started it anyway) to get his new friend Kagain another slightly used set of plate and held on to the others. He then met a talented mage who asked him for a hit on a probably nefarious witch. After picking up Dorn (the reason I was assembling Team Jerk in the first place) and giving him another set of plate from the guards we mugged, we beelined to the gnoll fortress, where Dorn ate the Charisma Tome, and the witch hit was successful.

From there, Gimil noticed he was starting to get some suspicious looks from townsfolk (-4 reputation for hanging around with Dorn and Viconia is harsh), so the band begrudgingly went on a goodwill tour of running people's errands for them and returning lost jewelry that wasn't really worth that much to begin with.

Imoen keeps muttering about hanging around with such shady people, but she's feeling a bit better now that we did some errands and are sitting at a reasonable 10 reputation. Now, everyone is on board with wandering the countryside, doing some non-reputation affecting quests to level up a bit, then blitzing the mines.

Gimil Stoneheart, the Fighter/Cleric has made it into Baldur's Gate after having four funerals.

Well, Team Jerk was on a roll. They'd cleared out a lot of the adventures in the wild lands and they'd breezed through the Nashkel mines with no problems. Even Imoen was starting to get in the swing of things, and the party's reputation was somehow one of heroism and good natured adventuring after doing nothing but quests for profit. Then, Flaming Fist merc got his knickers in a bunch with Dorn after some good natured ribbing, and before the rest of the party could say anything, Dorn had decapitated the guard.

(Seriously, I was just goofing around, selecting the silly answers, and then the guard went aggro! I guess ACAB even in fantasy land.)

Needless to say, Imoen was horrified, but the rest of the group nodded in agreement. After all, if you were going to draw on a party out in the wilds when you were outnumbered, you clearly just wanted to die. To mollify the group's only thief (and hide out while the heat died down), the group finally went into the Cloakwoods, spent about a week spawnkilling wvyerns to load up on that fat wyvern head money, and then finally moved against that Iron Throne group that Imoen kept pestering them all about. Most of the mines were trivial, but they did eat a few traps as Imoen was on strike from trapfinding duty (due to her studying to be a mage).

However, Davaeorn proved to be a solid match. While they managed to successfully kite his summon traps back out of line of sight, the mage was waiting for them. A perfectly (luckliy?) aimed lightning bolt managed to fry Imoen, Edwin, and an unlucky Viconia in the narrow hallway as it bounced from wall to wall. Grimly focused on the rest of the fight, Dorn, Kagain, and Gimil managed to take the mastermind of the mine down, but not before Kagain beefed it from a stray fireball. Gimil and Dorn looked at each other with irritation, realizing that they had far too much loot to carry out themselves, and reluctantly deposited everything of value in chests before making the long hike out of the woods to a temple to have their companions resurrected. Gimil made a small side trip on his way out of the mines without mentioning it to Dorn while Dorn was busy packing everything up, but otherwise, it was a straight shot to the Friendly Arm Inn.

Almost a week later, the band returned to the mine and picked up their possessions (and Davaeorn's possessions of course) and flooded the mine. Imoen was heartbroken that the group had lied to the poor slave, tricking him into thinking they'd already saved his friends. Much to everyone's surprise, however, a lone slave was standing outside, tears in his eyes as he thanked the group for their genorisity in giving him the 100 gold to buy the slaves freedom ahead of the rushing waters. Gimil muttered that it was coming out of Imoen's share and to not think too hard about it before pressing on to Baldur's Gate.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shaw the Half-Elf Shapeshifter has destroyed the Bandit Camp

It took a while since I decided to clear out most of the Sword Coast side areas first.

After fighting Nimbul, we discovered that, while the Randomizer taketh away, sometimes it also giveth.

Or, put another way:

Cha-ching!

We head up north to do a bit of Ankheg-hunting and some shopping in Ulgoth's Beard. We also deal with Tenya's quest while we're in the neighborhood in the most efficient way possible (by pickpocketing the bowl off Sonner and giving it to her without all the stupid fighting and running back and forth).

Then it's back to Beregost.

It's possible that Drake has met this Officer Vai we're supposed to connect with before.

Yup, they definitely know each other.

Moving on. Remember that extra-mysterious note in Mulahey's hideout from someone asking for an alliance? Well, the contact is out in the town square at nightfall.

You get this passphrase from the note. He's singularly unimpressed if you tell him Mulahey's dead afterwards though, as we do. He's tough, we're tougher, and his corpse yields up the next thread in this chain (a mod-added quest called The Serpents of Abbathor). Someone traveling up the Coast Way called (sigh) Bashrik Sparklehammer is about to have a date with something unfortunate. Are we bad enough dudes to rescue the Sparklehammer?

No. No we are not. He's dead in a cutscene next time we visit that area, but we do find his journal (which directs us to the Temple of Helm in Baldur's Gate) and his, er, sparkle hammer (a magic hammer with stats identical to Ashideena).

Speaking of which

The hook for recruiting Drake is that he was seeking help with the Bassilus bounty, and we see him here giving the mad Cyricist last rites of a sort. He is perhaps not the most formal (or sober) Priest of Tyr ever.

He is in fact a very well-written NPC and there are solid reasons for the way he acts. Basically he's seen both the bad side of war and class (no, the OTHER sort of class) based justice and is enough of an idealist to have turned hardcore cynic as a result.

Bassilus, in SCS, can be a very scary fight but this time the worst thing he does is Sanctuary when he's mostly dead and casts Heal on himself. (He also cast Entropic Shield earlier which I'm pretty sure makes him at least Level 13).

In other business

Melicamp lives!

We make our way throughout the Sword Coast, and at some point Shaw dings Level 7. (Druids level fast, and I've been grinding a fair bit.) Which means

WEREWOLF UPGRADE!

We put it to good use.

Up next: a trip to the oh-so-lovely Cloakwood.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

So Kenny Rogers Human Berserker is taking a weird DNF in BG2 where I had stopped playing for a while, then ended up having to reinstall windows and lost my saves.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Sakai, Dark Moon Monk

Finished the Western zones off. Here is a shot of me abusing web + potion of freedom to kill some Sirines

Dungeon delving! Ulcaster + Firewine down.

Kahrk too was slain. Wands of Paralyze are really OP.

Not too much notable happened with the rest of the eastern zones. I more or less cleared them without incident. Here is a shot of my party about to engage the leaders of the Bandit camp. Imoen landed a poison arrow on the mage and the rest of the enemies were quickly mopped up after that.

Onto Cloakwood! Centeol went down and Dorn picked up Spiderbane which will allow me to abuse web even more than I did previously.

I was a little scared of the Wyverns so was careful to make sure my Monk was not targeted here. They hit pretty hard.

Drasus and company died to my usual tactic here: Web + Dorn. When in doubt, it's a party clearer.

This is probably the toughest fight in Cloakwood mines apart from Daevorn himself. My strategy here was to have Dorn and Kagain pop potions of invisibility to close the distance. They then killed the mage before she had a chance to invis or cause any mischief. After that sleep + melee cleaned up the rest.

And Daevorn is down! Sakai and crew are off to Baldur's Gate. Sakai is level 7 now. My goal is to avoid my previous mistake and this time avoid dying to any confusion/chaos hijinx in Baldur's Gate. If all goes well I should be finishing this up soon and then onward to the dreaded Durlag's Tower and Totsc content.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

After finishing the mines we went north to be attacked by some ladies with good loot

Did a bunch of random other things such as pick up a book of store discounts after saving Dynaheir:

Robbed a grave for 4K XP

The moment before saving Captain Brage his friend confused Jaheira since I clicked the wrong conversation button. Had to put her to sleep in the temple in fear of her attacking the priest.

Dorn didn't understand the concept "you gotta spend money to make money" when I bribed this farmer 100 gold to get me discounts on all the stores in the world.

He was carrying my stuff and refused to listen to reason so he had to die for that misstep. At this point I'd picked up Kivan though so damage output wasn't a huge issue

Speaking of Kivan, he reminded me we had bandits to kill so we did that

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Shaw the Shapeshifter has defeated Davaeorn and never has to go to the Cloakwood again

You said it, friend.

Without Jaheira in the party we have no choice but to put either the unfriendly-but-correct druids or the big game hunter rear end in a top hat nobles in the ground. Shaw's a druid so there's really no choice. (You know, I wonder if the Sword Vs Shapeshifters would work on Shaw, but it doesn't matter here since the Randomizer appears to have, er, Randomized it elsewhere.)

Always a pleasure, Cloakwood.

Before I came here I made a point of buying a Protection From Poison scroll since wyvern poison can be nasty. I mention this because pictured above is us, er, not using that scroll. Eh, it's fine, how likely is it to be an issue-

Oh.

Not a RIP but a lot closer than I would have liked.

Speaking of close calls, one of the wizards here gets a Chaos off and manages to nail both Shaw and Drake, and a confused werewolf (and no way to undo the confusion) is a bad bad idea. We get super lucky here and Shaw mostly vents her confusion on the enemy.

No boots of speed here either, bah.

Breagar is extremely unimpressed with the uses this mine has been put to.

Vynd is unimpressed by...other things.

The sequence after we pay Rill off is pretty funny, I wish I'd captured it. Vynd basically loses his poo poo (in a very dry sarcastic way) and starts throwing gold pieces at Rill. No harm done in the end. (And all of Glam's NPCs, including the evil ones, are set so they won't gently caress off if your rep gets too high. I think the lone good-aligned one will leave if it gets too low though.)

Give you three guesses.

The dungeon itself isn't too bad, the two mage battles are the only significant challenge down here, and between Vynd's assassin-enhanced backstabs. some judicially-placed web spells and Shaw's, uh, werewolfiness (and her purloined ring of freedom), we don't have much trouble.

Then we reach Davaeorn and things go a bit south. First Vynd rolls a nat one on his backstab, then Imoen gets herself stunned out of the fight by his spell turning. Davaeorn still falls but it wasn't a fun fight. Still, any fight you walk away from, and we all walk away from this one.

Vynd is...stoked? About finally heading to Baldur's Gate.

We're stoked about the Wisdom tome in Davaeorn's slime-equipped treasure room.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Kinnskjegg the Illusionist/thief has had a very short adventure.
After a failed attempt at a solo Fighter/Mage/Thief last year, I decided to give it another try - but ditching the "fighter" part, as nobody else seems to be using that.

After leaving Candlekeep, I decide it would be funny to have my familiar pickpocket Imoen instead of looting her inventory directly. At this point, I realize I have misremembered which thief skill cats are good at (it is not Pick Pockets).

I survive the ensuing fight, and proceed to loot Gorion's corpse.

And then, I meet a wolf.

I'd forgotten to rest after summoning my familiar, so no Sleep available. My other spell slot was Spook, which didn't last long enough.

Kinnskjegg the Illusionist/thief has been eaten by a wolf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Is there seriously no healer in SoD's skinny Baldurs Gate? Am I going to just have to haul Safana's useless corpse on the road?