Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Disclaimer: I have some cheaty tweaks like turning off all traps and all locks (since I couldn't find a way to turn off just traps, or even better just have them auto revealed). This is because I hate waiting six seconds every five steps to detect traps in dungeons and I just don't want to do it so I don't.

I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to do this after having beaten BG once ever but I did and it went as expected.

Made this character twice and died in Beregost with both. I'm also terrible at screenshots

First trip was clearing out the area east of Candlekeep by kiting and using ranged with Imoen and Silanah, sadly Imoen died to a bear because I got clumsy but not before I poisoned it to the point of it dying too. Then I went south, picked up Kivan before going to Beregost and stumbling upon a bunch of spiders when looting. Oops.

Second time was similar but Imoen lived until Beregost and I skipped Kivan. Then I ran into Neera who I forgot was here and came with a fight, so Imoen died there and I replaced her with Neera. Used her sleep to kill spiders, replaced her with Kagain and went to the Friendly Arm In, did some quick quests, leveled up a bunch, picked up Neera again to have someone who can use wands mostly, went back to Beregost to rest on the way to Nashkel, god ambushed by Karlat who killed me in two hits. Whoops. I forgot about him too :)

This is fun though, I'm gonna make the same one again and see if I can get further before trying something new.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
After failing miserably at playing an Asssassin I decided that I'm terrible at this game and should use a good class instead so here's
Judeau the knife throwing Kensai

I talked Firebead into buying me and Imoen some equipment

Melicamp Lives

Cleared out some wildlife, a bunch of stuff in Beregost, including picking up Kagain and went to the friendly arm inn to recruit Jaheira for some healing abilities. Somewhere along the way Imoen dual-classed into Mage as soon as possible. I've tweaked traps and locks away so thief levels seem like a waste. This is very much cheating but whatever, I don't like traps, they're very unfun for me.

Soon after recruiting her Jaheira dies so I use this opportunity to ditch Kahlid before resurrecting her

I convinced Shar-Teel to join me with a single dagger throw and thought that was pretty funny. I see why this is considered an OP class.

And then I ditch her too.

Kagain dies to an Ogre Berserker and won't be coming back, but we did save a cow!

Then we run into some bandit we're not ready for at all. Jaheira dies and I chug two potions of invisibility and one Oil of Speed to take them down. This is when I decide I should look up encounters a bit more before doing them.

At this point I go to Nashkel and replace Kagain with Minsc and bring Jaheira back again. After that we kill a wizard at a carnival and that's as far as we got so far.

I still need to learn to prebuff and stuff, I'm awful at it so far. That wizard nearly killed me but I got lucky with saves vs Horror. The wand of Magic Missile is a great tool for disrupting spells but I think I put too much stock in it.

This is fun!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Judeau the Kinsai still lives to my great surprise!

This Xvart genocide is brought to you by the wand of sleep

One of the fuckers snuck around later and killed Imoen though. I later got her the amulet that lets her cast Armor from the carnival. Hindsight's 20/20

I finally got rich enough to buy a new toy for Judeau! I understand this dagger is amazing vs mages on top of just being a generally great upgrade from my +1

I ran into Dorn and Jaheira got killed by lightning which just felt unfair. His 19 strength and generally higher AC made him seem like a better Minsc so I replaced Minsc

Jaheira Death Count: 3
Resurrection cash: 700

Got hit real loving hard by Greywolf when trying to land poison on him so had to resort to throwing daggers to finish the fight but we won!

Wand of sleep for the Kobolds, Spook on Mulahey and good ol' clubbing for skeletons made this fight work well

Got a good reminder to turn off scripts for my people. This NPC was hostile because earlier I knocked out the lady of the house to rob her room.

Finished off today with killing an assassin I completely forgot could use magic. TIL Dorn is immune to fear so that was lucky.

I think the plan now is to clear general areas for XP. I'm still only lvl 3 and would like to not be before continuing the main quest. As far as I know there's no time limit quests ticking now at least so I can take my time.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 1, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ginette Reno posted:

Yeah lesson learned for me on that one. I don't think I'll be taking a Wild Mage or Neera again on an Ironman lol. If my run is gonna end I want it to be of my own incompetence and not from random chance :v:. Then again I'm still playing a Monk right now so it's not like I'm not still a huge idiot.

If (when) this run ends in disaster I'm not sure where I'll go next either. I did like the idea of a Blade a lot but died several times before even finishing the mines so I gave up on it for now and went back to my Monk dreams. I was playing kind of sloppy those runs though.

I did a monk the first time I ever played BG and she solo'd most fights in BG2. You can become immune to almost everything with a high level monk and for the other fights you have the NPC's!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Judeau went to cave and fought some Meat Golems for their sweet XP and for a book. Thank you Potion of Absorption for making me drat near immune to crushing. 19 Con and level 6 leaves you with a shitload of health

Turns out Vampiric Wolves are just as susceptible to Web as everything else

Then I remembered to kill Bassilus and his family with bombs!

We got a book for a dead guy to read

When are these assassins gonna learn? Also I love Web

But all good things must come to an end and mine came at the hands of Kahrk. I did not at all realize what I was heading into with this one, holy poo poo.

Rest in peace Judeau, you will be missed

I think I'll try this exact character again soon. With the same party but, like, be lightning resistant against this ogre mage next time or bring the ogre mage killing arrow. He was terrifying.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Let's try this again.

Blend, another Kensai with insane stats throwing a lot of knives in BG1

See, I need the OP class because I keep letting stuff like this happen

Melicamp dies. First time that's ever happened to me

For the first time in an iron man run I actually fight Basilisks. No wonder it's gone poorly when I did a million things before this, I got three levels for Imoen I think!

And then just as I walk into the last three of them my spell ends. Oops! Rested in a corner, recast and killed the last ones easily enough though. It was a good choice to not use the PC with resistance to tank basilisks.

I even planned ahead and brought some stone to flesh in case this happened.

Poor Greywolf slept through his entire final fight

Ended this session with Nashkel mines cleared out.

Dunno what's gonna happen next, I don't plan things!

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FairGame posted:

Aec'Lectec has a bullshit death gaze attack that *does* have a counter but I can't see how people would know about it beforehand.

Figuring out this loving fight on my first playthrough was one of the most satisfying experiences in video games. It took me days. Real life days.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

After finishing the mines we went north to be attacked by some ladies with good loot

Did a bunch of random other things such as pick up a book of store discounts after saving Dynaheir:

Robbed a grave for 4K XP

The moment before saving Captain Brage his friend confused Jaheira since I clicked the wrong conversation button. Had to put her to sleep in the temple in fear of her attacking the priest.

Dorn didn't understand the concept "you gotta spend money to make money" when I bribed this farmer 100 gold to get me discounts on all the stores in the world.

He was carrying my stuff and refused to listen to reason so he had to die for that misstep. At this point I'd picked up Kivan though so damage output wasn't a huge issue

Speaking of Kivan, he reminded me we had bandits to kill so we did that

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

I finally got some time to sit down with this again.

Went and got a book on How to Make Friends and had my main read it. Being able to plan makes this game so much fun. Potion of clarity to take care of sirens and potion of absorbtion to beat meat golems is super satisfying.

Then we went on an Ogre Mage Killing Spree

Judeau, I have avenged you!

Man with Hat posted:

But all good things must come to an end and mine came at the hands of Kahrk. I did not at all realize what I was heading into with this one, holy poo poo.

Rest in peace Judeau, you will be missed

Having learned from that previous mistake and being horrified of this guy I went in with Jaheira, triggered the bastard, chugged a potion of invisibility and hid until the stupid buffs were gone.

Proceeded to the Cloakwoods where Ettercaps repeatedly almost killed Brenwen

Got into a food fight with some wizard and her buddies and played very poorly but it worked out thanks to the wand of summoning.

Davaeorn was pretty simple when have a potion making you immune to level 5 spells or lower actually.

Traded all the loot down here for something I should've gotten Imoen way sooner

And this is where we're at right now

Next stop Baldur's Gate where I'm gonna be lost as all hell. I did not expect to make it this far.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ginette Reno posted:

Calamain The Blade

Congrats! Your writeup on Serevok was a good read I will have to keep in mind for if (when, think positive!) I get there.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ginette Reno posted:

Make sure to have party ai turned off for this fight if you're gonna try the stealth pull tactic or your puller may decide to leave stealth and shoot at Sarevok etc.

This seems like a good segue into my next update actually

Blend, knife throwing Kensai
(although at this point she is using her Scimitar quite a bit)

Man with Hat posted:

Next stop Baldur's Gate where I'm gonna be lost as all hell. I did not expect to make it this far.

Mostly just did every sidequest I could find in the city so here are the highlights:

Sleep rod is still somehow one of the best items. Fun fact: blink dogs keep teleporting in their sleep

We killed some people on a boat and punched some other people so we could rob containers without loosing reputation. Somehow assault is better than theft in that regard.

I gave the book to Imoen since she's a *mage* and clearly need all the int in the world but honestly I don't know if it changed anything?

Ogre mages still scare me so here's a picture of a bunch of dead ones as a reminder that I have a powerful team of heroes who can handle this!

The Iron Throne fight could have gone a lot better but nobody died at least. Kivan was down to 4 HP at one point. Turns out Flame Strike hurts like a motherfucker when cast by enemy mages too, not just when I do it from my wands.
Monster summons and web ended up saving the day. They aggro'd from a lot further away than I thought they would which threw me off but it worked out in the end so whatever.

This screenshot is just another tribute to Web. I hosed up the planning here too and web saved my rear end. I love web

I also found a paladin at some point and decided to get an extra meatshield. He's good with broadswords which will help against shapeshifters IIRC. There's a lot of those in endgame BG1, I remember that much.

He's also underleveled and poorly equipped. Whoops

Brought him back in the temple next door and did the other floors more carefully.

loving SCRIPED PIECE OF poo poo AI

Five seconds later Kivan has the nerve to say out loud he disagree's with the party's recent actions! It was you, you dick!

We also got poisoned and unpoisoned I guess.

And did a much better fight against doom guards and stuff so that was some nice redemption

Also of course did some shopping and reequipped Ajantis and Jaheira to make him the main tank with an AC of -6. The brawlers now have -6, -4 and -4 which feels pretty good. Dex gloves are the best.

Next up warewolf island? Or start a bit in Durlag, I don't remember what's in the less scary parts of that, if there's anything I want for the warewolves?

Giving myself a bit of an internal fistbump for breaking the OG BG1 XP cap. That's as good of a milestone as any

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

FairGame posted:

I see all of you posting about how great Web is and I've literally never understood how to use it.

How do you not get webbed yourself?

My panic webs in that update webbed a lot of my friends too but I'd rather have three webbed team mates, five webbed death robot enemies and one person with a ring waltzing around freely beating up the enememis than the alternative.

But yeah, the real good use is to stand outside of it with ranged weapons. You can see the perimiter pretty clearly too so you can place melee fighters on the edge and your oponents will stand in it with you outside of it if they break free long enough to attack. This way they'll probably get webbed again as you're clubbing them in the head.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Ginette Reno posted:

You should be able to keep your ranged weapon party members out of the web if you target it correctly. The notable exception is that if you have a dart user they generally will struggle to not get caught in the web. Probably the same would be true for characters using throwing axes/daggers. Slings/bows should have enough range to stay out of it.

My throwing knives hadn't had more problems than my long bows actually. But yeah, you need to circle around sometimes to hit everything with your ranged.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon

Short update

While robbing some wizard I accidentially killed some guards which made half of my party leave which really really sucked.

Ajantis had all my best tank stuff so I lost my best armor, my best AC ring and my gloves of dexterity. Lucky for me bags were transferred when they left so I got to keep my scroll case at least. Anyway, this loving blew and I wouldn't recommend it.

I picked up Dynaheir, Minsc and Safana as replacements and spent all my money buying them equipment. Did the upper floors in Durlag's for some XP to help the new kids catch up a little. Moved on to Ulgoth's Beard and the thief guild quest once again hosed me over and sent me to an ice field.

Where I was woefully unprepared for the first batch of mages.

And that's where her story ends. drat shame, I really liked her. My own fault, though, I sould've known better

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Well I started over. Here's Kalam the Elven Bounty Hunter.

Started strong with being saved by lvl 1 mechanics against wolves and belt ogres

Decided to risk the whole run on a potential trap suicide but it worked out.

Ran around doing general early game stuff and realized

I

loving

Love

Love

Love

Traps

(not pictured: several of the worst of these assholes also getting slowed from traps. Also several other enemies that are dangerous early on being silly, like Silke and that mage harassing whatsherface in Beregost and spider house)

Did most of this so far. Not the actual mines, just went there to stop timers (I think this stops some timer?) and to get some cash

It's kind of nice, I feel like I'm starting to learn more and more about this game and I don't have to read up on everything beforehand this time around. I was expecting to burn out on this early stuff since it's been a few times so far but it's really just fun to approach it again with new knowlege and a new class with a new super fun ability.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jan 26, 2022

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
Double Post!

Kivan started talking about bandits and I got freaked out since I was in chapter 1 so bumrushed it here and forgot to take any screenshots. Is it enough to enter the camp to stop him from leaving or do I have to finish the quest?

Edit: Ended up clearing out the bandit camp to be sure but it was scary as hell. Needed to rest mid camp and thought for sure those eight hours would piss Kivan off enough to leave.

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jan 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Exciting Lemon
I am so upset right now. What a drat gently caress you of a lightning bolt

Kalam also dead. He was so much fun too, I might continue for a bit with him

Edit: sweet revenge

Man with Hat fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 28, 2022