Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Goons play this game here: https://discord.gg/airgoons

Ready or Not is out in Early Access.
This is a cooperative shooter that emphasizes tactics and teamplay to get suspects to comply. Shooting people will fail the mission if it wasn't justified.
There was a great game series called Police Quest and Swat, and Ready or Not is the Swat5 without the name. It's uncanny in its similarities.

Is that good or bad? This all depends on what you want from a game. This is a very slow paced game where playing with pubbies is perhaps not a lot of fun, as everyone has a chance to ruin the game for everyone in a fraction of a second. It also offers single player where you lead four AI teammates.

The basic flow of the game goes like this:

One player creates a lobby, private or public. Up to four others can join them, but devs promise coop of 8 people soon. The lobby is a small police station that has a planning desk, clothing change, gun workbench, and a shooting range to test out weapons. While people wait, you can change attachments, weapons, loadouts, et cetera. You can add a flashlight and try it out at the range, and modify your pistol the way you like it. It's nothing crazy like Tarkov, but offers you to get a laser sight or a red dot, or both. You can get a .300 blackout rifle, or a less lethal shotgun, or a few other options. It's also to just gently caress around in waiting. Currently the planning board only offers choosing a mission, there is no prep to be done. When everyone is ready, they can go stand on the ready carpet, and game will begin.

You get inserted in the map, and now is time to cuff everyone you can, and find possible evidence. You can yell at suspects, use OC spray, beanbag shells, or lethal gunfire. Or you can barrel bump them to punch. Someone can use battering rams, breaching shotguns, or lockpicks. There's flash bangs, tear gas, et cetera.

This game does not allow you to just blast everyone. Shooting people in the back gets the score to the negative, and shooting people who are about to surrender also does the same. A few mistakes that pile up will fail the mission. However, often there is literally a fraction of a second to decide what the gunman is going to do, and it lends for a very very tense situation where chaos erupts.

Bunch of goons got this game on release night and played for hours in coop. We found out that choosing roles makes everything easier, and we took turns being team leaders.

It's also somewhat barebones and far from all the promised features. So it's yet another early access puddle to jump into and up to everyone to decide what they can afford. It definitely is fun in my opinion, and it hits the exact spot SWAT 4 used to hit. In multiplayer, it definitely depends on what kind of people you have with you. Endless "goons lol lmao" gameplay tires very quickly since the game falls apart as soon as someone soloes.

Steam URL: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144200/Ready_or_Not/

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Dec 22, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
this game kinda owns - it does a very good job scratching that “slow, tactical SWAT4/Rogue Spear” itch. It definitely needs to continue to add content to keep it going long term but it executes so well on what is there now that I think it’s definitely worth the entry fee. The maps are good, the shooting and movement feels great, and the difficulty is on point.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The difficulty definitely took me by surprise. SWAT 4 was hard but it always had a window of decision making. Last night one of us looked under the door with the snake camera and the suspect saw the camera. In a blink of an eye, he opens full auto fire through the door killing several of us. No one every had time to really think about it. Next time we stood to the side of the door!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I absolutely love the SWAT series and I just bought the game.

I love the 'Slow' style FPS that in fact becomes more about quick decision making than necessarily fast action.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

A clip from playing last night
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tewtwRAk1Mg

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Just played a few rounds of this with a friend, it's feeling pretty good. It really does hit that SWAT 4 niche just right. I do like the different mission types, Active Shooter really forces you to play in a much different way than you usually would, and Bomb Threat is just tough as balls. The one main annoyance we've stumbled across so far is that you don't get bots when playing coop, which can make things tricky when there's just two or three of you.

Also learned the hard way that "less-lethal" does not mean "nonlethal":
https://i.imgur.com/fj5xO50.mp4
(sound on for toc seeming strangely happy about this)

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

A bunch of my friends and I bought this the second it hit Steam and had a blast last night.

I worry about how long the freshness with last. My one major problem with this game, and I'm hoping (but not hopeful) that they improve over time, is the civilian/suspect AI. Currently there basically isn't any, just some extremely rudimentary states (hold in place, roaming etc. ) And extremely rudimentary randomized actions (surrender, flee, attack etc). The fact that they also have stupidly good aim and will shoot you through walls dosen't make them smarter.

I mean it's no worse than SWAT 4 had and it dosen't make the game not fun but I think long term replayability will be extremely limited if they don't make improvements to it .

Also the ragdoll jank can be pretty hilarious sometimes.

https://i.imgur.com/Db8V94U.mp4

Basticle fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 19, 2021

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Basticle posted:

I worry about how long the freshness with last. My one major problem with this game, and I'm hoping (but not hopeful) that they improve over time, is the civilian/suspect AI. Currently there basically isn't any, just some extremely rudimentary states (hold in place, roaming etc. ) And extremely rudimentary randomized actions (surrender, flee, attack etc). The fact that they also have stupidly good aim and will shoot you through walls dosen't make them smarter.

The AI isn’t amazing but it seems good enough for what the game is doing. At least compared to any similar shooter, just having dudes flank you or roam on you is cool. What’s currently available is good but for sure light, but I don’t think it would take much to keep the game feeling good long term. You basically just need some sort of custom map pipeline to support the community keeping it chugging content wise. AFAIK they have already said they plan to support modding, just hope it’s sooner rather than later. It’s a UE4 game so even without official support I can’t imagine it’s too long before the usual UE mod loader stuff gets rolling.

causticBeet fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 19, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
The devs just two days ago reaffirmed Workshop support and releasing a level editor.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've kind of wanted to try a SWAT for a while, but is this primarily a coop game, or is there the full SP experience, with ordering your bots to stack up and such?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Mordja posted:

I've kind of wanted to try a SWAT for a while, but is this primarily a coop game, or is there the full SP experience, with ordering your bots to stack up and such?

There is. In SP there's four AI's under you and you use a context menu to boss em.

Also this is an ACME screenshot:'

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
In Optiwand we trust.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Basticle posted:

A bunch of my friends and I bought this the second it hit Steam and had a blast last night.

I mean it's no worse than SWAT 4 had and it dosen't make the game not fun but I think long term replayability will be extremely limited if they don't make improvements to it .

Also the ragdoll jank can be pretty hilarious sometimes.

Out of curiosity, what modes have you tried? We made a couple (failed) attempts at Bomb Threat, and the AI seemed significantly smarter in there. We've had enemies aggressively flank us, retreat upon breach to hide in a very dangerous blind corner, fake a surrender, and I think one time one of them actually suicide-bombed us. Now, in part that might just have been us ascribing purpose to random behavior, but overall enemies felt a lot more dangerous even beyond just their equipment and accuracy.

Also yeah, the ragdolls are pretty great sometimes.
https://i.imgur.com/M5M1WFF.mp4

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Is there a steam group or discord where we can group up and run missions?

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Under Air Goons discord, we made a channel and a voice channel for this. We'll make a role that is also pingable to ping people who will play coop.

We have about ten goons there who play right now, we've been playing for past few days.

Invite here: https://discord.gg/ezpX4JM7Ta

If we get a bunch, I'll make another Discord completely.

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Dec 20, 2021

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Also learned the hard way that "less-lethal" does not mean "nonlethal":
https://i.imgur.com/fj5xO50.mp4
(sound on for toc seeming strangely happy about this)

I think I met you at a protest last year

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I think its 3 bean bags to kill a tweaker.

At least so far, not sure if location damage is a thing, but I shot one running three times in the back and he died.

Stop resisting.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

It's been a lot of fun. Solid teamwork makes this game a lot of fun in a methodical room-by-room dance.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
There are a lot of nice design decisions that influence teamwork. One small but kinda neat one is how your player slightly lowers the weapon when ADS and shouting commands. This makes it hugely beneficial to clear a room with at least two people so you can have the first dude focused on sweeping the room and everyone behind them mashing F to yell cop stuff

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
Did my first goon 3man clear and it went better than expected. This is pretty fun and can only imagine how good it will be if development continues.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Played with goons yesterday in a five person team.

Excellent coordination, and we won (first time ever online)

17 suspects successfully neutralized.

Also first time using shield, which is hilarious when you enter a room and get unloaded into and the screen becomes completely covered and you cant see anything and have to trust the rest of your team to do do everything as you sit there and take it. Also, when it's dark its very chaotic and confusing being the shield guy.

I did get a guy to surrender after he loaded into me with his assault rifle and I couldn't return fire because I was out of bullets and just angrily yelled at him.

gottagotowork
Jul 7, 2020

TRAILERS

This game is good. Probably the least broken / most fully featured EA game I've ever played.

I hope the devs fix the erratic civilian AI and continue to add content and maps to keep it fresh.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Had a nice hour long round on this chateau map (forget the name of it). There was a total of 22 suspects and only a few civilians running around on this map so it took us a couple of attempts as the AI would come running in behind us blasting and take all of us out.

But we did setup a nice less lethal takedown of this dude behind a door
https://i.imgur.com/KXmMVZ9.mp4

And we were searching around for the final suspect but I got him :getin:
https://i.imgur.com/S99A7pe.mp4

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Was thinking about picking up this game for the holiday break because I loved SWAT, unfortunately looks like it's already on rocky grounds because they lost their publisher because the devs are idiots.

https://twitter.com/VOIDInteractive/status/1472956392298344451?t=mKyj0uHsfQtie9HW2WPYWQ&s=19

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nme.com/news/gaming-news/ready-or-not-dev-splits-with-publisher-team17-3123660%3famp

quote:

When one player asked if Ready Or Not should “have a school shooting mission in the campaign”, a Void Interactive developer answered: “You better believe it’s gonna”.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Dec 22, 2021

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Team17 released a free update for Worms Armageddon after 21 years. Them backing out is definitely a strong indication of where Void wants to take this long-term. Rocky grounds, indeed. :(

Otherwise looks f'in awesome.

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Definitely, this game was in development hell. I lost all hope with Ready or Not about two years ago. I never ever expected to be here, and I definitely did not see it being in such a shape that it is in now.
Definitely interesting to see where it goes from here. If they release mod tools including map editor soon, that's already plenty of stuff to do and I'd feel happy for a while.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

GolfHole posted:

Team17 released a free update for Worms Armageddon after 21 years. Them backing out is definitely a strong indication of where Void wants to take this long-term. Rocky grounds, indeed. :(

Otherwise looks f'in awesome.

Not wanting your brand associated with "that game in which you can simulate a school shooting", especially while your greatest hits include family friendly games such as overcooked, is not really an indication that the developers are going down the evil DLC/microtransaction route.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
We got a perfect score on gas station barricade as a 3 man squad today. It was awesome. And then we got completely smoked 15 minutes later on hotel barricade so I think it all evens out in the end :)

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

I got this last night after seeing a friend playing it, completely oblivious to the whole publisher fiasco. Has there been any info released about how it's selling/whether they're looking for another publisher? The game seems really good but if they're not going to be able to finish it because they don't have money I might as well just refund it while I can

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
It is currently Steam top seller.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Yeah hopefully getting dropped is enough of a reality check for them that they stop the edgy "ripped from the headlines" poo poo and go for more of the fantasy cop thriller that SWAT had. They seem to have something good, they just need to find new publishing and get their head on straight for their path forward.

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
Do suspects' gas masks have an effect on pepper balls/tear gas?

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
I think it helps with CS gas, but last night we pepperballed a guy in the face and his gasmask didn't do help at all - he still surrendered in a cloud of pepperball , but your milage may vary.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Is anybody running this successfully on potato hardware? I was gonna get a copy for a bud for xmas but he's on a setup that struggles to hit 60 fps in Hunt.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

Yerok posted:

Is anybody running this successfully on potato hardware? I was gonna get a copy for a bud for xmas but he's on a setup that struggles to hit 60 fps in Hunt.

Knowing the specs would be nice, since it would make this question easier to answer.

However people are running this game with fairly low end setups like 1050Ti and old CPUs.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

LordAdakos posted:

I think it helps with CS gas, but last night we pepperballed a guy in the face and his gasmask didn't do help at all - he still surrendered in a cloud of pepperball , but your milage may vary.

Getting hit by those would still hurt, so it checks out that a bunch of swat bursting into a room and making you feel pain of some sort would get a surrender.

I prefer the taser for my less lethal though, just because it definitely will stop someone from shooting.

GaussianCopula posted:

Not wanting your brand associated with "that game in which you can simulate a school shooting", especially while your greatest hits include family friendly games such as overcooked, is not really an indication that the developers are going down the evil DLC/microtransaction route.

They've already got the penthouse shootings level. My hot take here is that if I don't wanna play the school level i'll just not click on it. There's gonna be plenty of others modded in anyway and the base game seems pretty good. That's if they even do it. One dev going "Yeah we're gonna do it" might be very against what management want if it's gonna cost them sales.

In other news playing with pubs is hilarious because we tried last night, every game we'd get three pubs spawn, breach in a stupid way (or open the door while we're wanding, which makes me glad i can do that from the side) and get loving nailed. Then they'd quit.

This game is gonna drop players very quickly just because most people don't seem to understand that breaching a room is mostly about surprise and overwhelming force and not just CS peeking everything.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Dec 24, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, just about everything you do contributes to intimidating enemies, even just kicking or shotgunning doors. Grenades tend to be the most decisive factor, but a bunch of smaller factors can also add up to forcing a surrender.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Ended up getting this despite the questionable status and man they really did make SWAT 5 in style and tone. People screaming weird stuff around running around, pumping beanbags into someone while they stand still and yell things at you, traumatized women who want to gently caress you right on the bloody floor as you arrest them, all the same stuff.

The levels are pretty solid although I do get wallbanged more than seems reasonable, also the level where you go into the meth house tends to spawn a guy on the lawn that opens fire immediately after you load in.

It is funny to see people on the Steam forums that do not understand the tenants of the Door Wedge, but they will. They all will.

They just couldn't resist putting teenagers as people to shoot in the gas station level, christ these guys cannot stop themselves.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, just about everything you do contributes to intimidating enemies, even just kicking or shotgunning doors. Grenades tend to be the most decisive factor, but a bunch of smaller factors can also add up to forcing a surrender.

https://streamable.com/7mx9y9

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/VOIDInteractive/status/1474203773878816778?t=1dB0RLK81RTHKNv5p-IUsw&s=19

Tl;Dr: We're making levels that feature shooting kids in *tribute* of the victims of school shootings.

Christ I like the game but this is deranged.

E. Luckily I have under 2 hrs in the game so I can just refund. Maybe I'll pirate it at some point or buy it again if they fix their poo poo but this isn't great, and you can already see the kind of audience that this is creating by reading the Twitter thread.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2021