Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

The minor fifth (C and F#) was considered satanic for centuries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

The western scale is out of tune with itself. The tuning was was designed to be equally out of tune no matter what your base pitch is. This is how we're able to change keys without re-tuning everything.

The tuning was independently invented in Europe and China at about the same time. You get the next semitone (half-step) by multiplying the current note's frequency by the twelfth root of two, which will seem obvious to anyone who understands sound and arithmetic, but took hundreds of thousands of years for humanity to realize.

It's possible to have a better in tune scale, though. Instruments that only play in one key, notably many bagpipes, use such a tuning. Also the musician Jacob Collier appears to be reintroducing properly-tuned scales, along with changing keys a lot, by constantly and instantaneously retuning everything through the song. If you've never heard any of his stuff, I suggest starting with "Moon River".

cruft fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 21, 2021

cruft

There's a tune called the "Dies Irae" that's sort of a musical in-joke composers have been using for hundreds of years.

The most recent occurrence of it I can think of is the voice in the woods in "Into the Unknown" from Frozen 2. But you can read the Wikipedia page on "Dies Irae" and see dozens of other very popular songs that use it.

cruft

"The Rite of Spring" caused a riot when it premiered in 1913. Well, started a riot. It's possible the riot was going to happen one way or another, and the ballet was just a pretext for the agitators.

cruft

There is no standard tuning system for Balinese Gamelan bands. This means each instrument must be tuned to the band itself. But I'm not talking about tuning a single note: there's no standard scale either. Each note on each instrument must be tuned to the band.

This page has some examples you can listen to!

cruft

Whoa!

Thanks!

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

*differently tuned, not necessarily "better"

I'm willing to argue that a just scale is more in tune than an equal-tempered one: the synthetic overtones generated by an interval just don't exist due to the perfect integer multiplication of the base frequency.

That this isn't necessarily going to be judged superior by a listener, so if your argument is that "better" is subjective, then, well, agreed.

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

Everything you learned about music theory in school is racist AF!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr3quGh7pJA

(this is a long one but worth a watch, I'm so glad my music teacher was an old jazz trumpeter and didn't teach things the way it seems a lot of people get taught music)

These videos are awesome. I never got deep enough into what was called theory to get into this. My understanding of "music theory" is pretty much just mathematical. What this video is calling "music theory" is probably what I would have learned if I hadn't changed majors, but it seems more like "music practice" to me.

E: finished video, it was interesting, I guess I'm glad I never got to take harmonic counterpoint for more reasons than I initially thought. Now I'm thinking of getting into Indian musical structure because my composition professor couldn't stop talking about it and, well, seems interesting.

cruft fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 21, 2021

cruft

Finger Prince posted:

He did another video that's semi related to the topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUs-84NAAU
Adam Neely is fantastic for his really in-depth technical analysis of music stuff. I disagree with his approach sometimes, but I fully respect the reasons why and his knowledge and expertise.

Yeah, this rubs me the wrong way, after watching a really nice teardown from the same dude of why it's a mistake to try to apply western harmony to non-western music. If I tried playing a B♭ major scale on my Uilleann pipes, it would sound horrendous. It's disingenuous to tune the piano to a Pythagorean scale rooted in A and then complain about an F#maj chord sounding bad.

Actually it's even worse than that, he roots the just tuning in A and then plays a song in C. I know he's not an idiot about this stuff, so I have to infer that he's deliberately playing in the wrong key to drive home the "superiority" of equal temperament for playing the type of music written for that tuning, and it makes me mad!

Here, listen to Táimse im' Chodladh by somebody not deliberately using the wrong tuning for the key the piece is played in. This instrument is in just intonation, not too far off from the Pythagorean being dissed on by that video.

cruft fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 21, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cruft

Well, depends on what other instruments you have, but I guess we're not going to arrive at a universal truth for tuning here in EFN's music trivia thread 😉

Anyway, here's more music trivia: Stevie Ray Vaughan used to super glue his fingernails on. He played with such heavy strings that it made his nails come off.