Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

This year it felt even harder to compile a list than last year. There were a few really good ones and enough entertaining ones, but no clear standouts. A time for guilty pleasures to stand in the light. I really had to scrape my brain (and wikipedia) to cobble together what i watched at all and what stayed in my head.

Formally i start out with my honorable mentions in no order:

Stargirl
Crappy teenie superheroes, totally inoffensive, but somehow completely watchable. And a cool anti-villain.
Hawkeye
My favourite Avenger. Kate was cool. But i kinda felt, that Disney didn't want this to succeed since everything but the main-actors felt so meh.
"Wrestling"
I so badly wanted to put this on my list until i realized, that my enjoyment mostly didn't come from occasionally watching the product itself, but from the forums posts almost live-commenting the terrible failures of an insane old capitalist.
Legends of tomorrow
Usually a staple, still cool guys, but getting too stale this time. Also by hanging around for too long in the most boring timelines. The two episodes of '22 look much better!
Lower Decks
Funny, lovable hommage. begins to stand on it's own legs. Next year you can make it, Boims!
Firebite
Started with this extremely cheap, extremely australian Vampire Hunter thingie too late to rank it. But expect to see this on my list of '22.

DIS-honorable mention: Foundation
gently caress you! I wanted to love you so badly! You were so pretty to look at and made promises of a great future together. But you were so ugly inside and after 10 hours that i will never get back i never want to see you again! (i will watch the first episode of season 2 because apparently i am a curious masochist who can't let go)

But now on to what counts:

10 Wynonna Earp
Does NOT make any sense at all. Don't try. Just a really cool cast having fun fighting stuff and embarrassing themselves while trying one-liners that would make 80s Arnold simultaneously proud and ashamed. And of course the series culminates in a sugary happy end. I allow it.

9 Outpost
Also ending in 21. The little fantasy-engine that tried so hard. Just adorable.

8 Wheel of Time
Perfectly ok so far and more than enough to keep me interested for season 2. They should hire the Outpost-people for season 2. They would succeed in making something as epic as expected from the book readers from the budget.

7 Shadow & Bone
So, surprisingly this was my most enjoyed fantasy show in 21, huh? Yeah, the story so far is cliche 101 and probably will stay on this course, but you get a unique setting with the deadly fog which is crossed on rails and a compelling cast. The story of the B-plot scoundrels is more than making up for the hero-lover A-plot by far.

6 Wandavision
I am not a huge Superhero/Marvel person, but the premise portrayed in the trailers for this cought my attention. It tells an interesting tale of an almost god-like being suffering from very human ptsd and how she tries to cope with it and goes on with how the surroundings and her creations react to it. I don't know if i want to see a second season, for the story is kinda told, but i would like to see them try - if they find a completely new direction. Or better, try as hard on Hawkeye S2!

5 Cowboy Bebop
This fit nicely somewhere between Firefly, Killjoys and some retro-sci-fi stuff. Oh, and a heavy dose of Yakuza-Mafia - which i would have preferred to have not existed, but whatever. With that plot point resolved, i would have liked a second season with that band of misfits even more. Sadly it got cancelled. I feel that it being the retelling(?) of an adored classic Anime may have caused more harm than good in this case.

4 Arcane
It's an anime about a game i never played and never will. But the style made me give it a chance and i got hooked almost instantly. Yeah, the stories are simple. So what? Better doing something simple very good than something twisty very bad or just for the hell of it. Two sisters divided by a tragic accident in an escalating war between upper- and lower-class citizens. The characterwork is really out of this world. What soured my enjoyment by the end was, after looking a bit in the lore of the game on the internet (yeah, the series made me do that in between episodes!) i figured, that the characters from the game wouldn't really die and so took a lot of suspense out of the finale.

3 Cruel Summer
Nostalgia Points for the setting with teennagers in a time when i was a teen. The story is told in the timespan of a few weeks of three consceutive years in the 90ies. I almost can't go into any detail, for the series lifeline is the suspense it builds. Basically it is about 2 girl(friend)s publicly accusing each other of being a liar surrounding a dark case of rape, abuse, neglection and murder. I frankly can not explain how the showrunners managed to keep the suspense high for 10 episodes without dragging, but they sure did. I kind of dread what they are gonna do in the announced second season, for the story is basically concluded perfectly. Oh, and teenagers are all poo poo. But we knew that already.

2 The Expanse
A clear candidate for the number one spot and it would have taken it this time - if only they wouldn't have rushed everything into six episodes. Still they told everything they needed to and did it well, but at least two more episodes to breath would have made this a very good last season. Another 2 more for world-building (alike the early Epstein or MANEO episodes) would have made it stellar.

1 Snowpiercer
I had to go back and make sure, this aired in 2021. It felt longer away. The tragic tale of a succesful revolution falling apart mainly because of course you cannot fulfill all hopes and promises to the formerly oppressed. The return of the former king, demanding his kingdom back, backed up by the magic he brings with him. There are always winners and losers. Right and Wrong seems to come down to personal choice. A drama of all humanity compresed into not anymore 1001 train cars. And a brave woman powerd by hope and stuborness wandering out in the cold, searching for a future for them all.
Best of all, i just learned SEASON 3 STARTS IN 2 DAYS!
https://youtu.be/eBkA4sNY-uI

/Edit: :siren: obvioulsy the S3 trailer contains massive spoilers for anything that happened before! :siren:

bou fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Late thanks from me also, Looten!

It's always a highlight to follow the countdown to the top and the extra effort with the quotes and pictures for the top shows are always a treat.