Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have seven shows on my list so far, but none quite stand out as much as last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
10. The Wheel of Time
The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

My most anticipated show of 2021, and also the one I was most worried about. How do you turn Robert Jordans flawed but magnificent fantasy into a working tv show, when you only have a limited amount of episodes and a (relatively) small budget, the answer seems to be that you just try your hardest.
The first season was flawed and rushed but ultimately it was still Wheel of Time, there is plenty of room for improvement but what we got was good.

09. The Nevers

It's no secret that I used to admire Joss Whedon, his work was very much my jam. A lot has happened since then, and you can't but look at his work differently. But still The Nevers was more of what I wanted, and it will be interesting to see what a new showrunner does with the show.

08. Only Murders in the Building
She's not a kid. We only think she's a kid because we're old.

The biggest surprise of the year, that really shouldn't have been a surprise with Steve Martin and Martin Short on the cast, plus an excellent Selena Gomez. This show was fun and compelling.

07. Dopesick
We're Going To Cure The World Of Its Pain.

An utterly tragic story, made even more tragic by the fact that it's all true, and the bad guys got away with it.

06. The Good Fight
I dreamt that Donald Trump was our president.

2021 was the year when The Good Fight just went nuts, it's just such an absurdly entertaining show.

05. Landscapers
Nobody is beyond help in this world, that's the whole point of this world.

A black comedy about a couple that may have murdered two people. With a group of lesser actors the series might not have worked, but David Thewlis and Olivia Colman are both so good.

04. AEW Dynamite
It's Wednesday. You know what that means

After years slowly losing interest in wrestling, because an insane billionaire controls most of the market, I discovered AEW and suddenly remembered that pro wrestling can be good and fun.

03. The Beatles Get Back
If we'd know we were going to be the Beatles, we'd have tried harder.

Like most people I was a casual Beatles fan, I liked all their hits but never really thought about the band and its history much. So the fact that I watched and loved this 8 hour documentary says something about how good this is. And I was left with a major admiration for the sheer amount of talent these four people had.

02. Falcon and the winter soldier

Just an excellent buddy cop show, a traditional superhero story told extremely well.

01. Wandavision

A unique story told with two of the more underused Marvel characters.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am a little surprised that Ted Lasso is so high given that the second season seemed divisive. Or perhaps I am just overestimating how many people didn't like it.

Thanks for all your hard work Looten Plunder!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The first season of Daredevil, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage still hold up well I would think. The problem is that they got worse in their later seasons

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Open Source Idiom posted:

Wouldn't not having the ten screw with the weighting?

I would think so too. Also, it's simply part of the thread that you name ten shows, and write why you picked them. I don't see a need to go to some big trouble to mess with a format that works.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
At this point I think I have 20 shows on my list. I can probably easily cut 4-5 that are merely good. But the rest will be tough.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
If your list doesn't have 20+ shows on it, have you even watched tv this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I’ve been looking forward to the thread for a while now, I feel that this has been a great year for tv.
But you take the time you need to set it up.