Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

One of my favorite things about this thread is when it inspires me to start watching a show. This thread got me interested in Ted Lasso before and already this year it inspired me to watch For All Mankind. I"m halfway through season 1 and loving it. We'll see if it makes into my list but if season 2 is as good as season 1, it's looking pretty likely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Escobarbarian, I really enjoyed your list and I'm sorry about your father.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Honorable Mentions - Hawkeye, and What If? Great fun. Really enjoyed both. Tiger King, still weird and wild and hard to look away from.

10. Falcon and The Winter Solider - Cinema quality action and a timely exploration of patriotism, race, and the flag.

9. WandaVision - Daring, bold and heartfelt. Around this time last year, some friends were talking about WandaVision and I asked if you had to be into Marvel to understand it. At the time I had only seen Iron Man 1 and Avengers in theaters, and nothing since then. When I was growing up, I was a DC kid. WandaVision was my gateway drug to becoming a Marvel fanboy. As soon as I was done with it, I got to binge the whole MCU (did it chronological starting with Captain America: The First Avenger. It enjoyed every minute of it. Better late than never, I guess.

8. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver - The show makes me laugh and makes me angry when I learn about things and can't understand why "real" news isn't talking about them.

7. Loki - Take one of the most charismatic characters/actors from a universe full of them, give him his own show with a great supporting cast and ask crazy questions about timelines and parallel universes and enjoy the ride. Because of timelines the show was handed a much less lovable version of Loki than the one that left off in his last movie appearance, but the show deftly solved that problem with some exposition that didn't feel like exposition. The style of the series matched perfectly with the tone of the show and the music matched both. Sophia Di Martino had no problem stepping into a big role against an already well-established character and Owen Wilson was a joy to watch. At first viewing, I didn't like episode 3 Lamentis but on my second viewing I loved it. It was a throwback to when shows had more episodes to play with and more frequently made episodes that didn't "advance the story" but instead allowed their characters to simply be and us to get to know them better. Also, Alligator Loki.

6. Cobra Kai - Cobra Kai never dies. This show is masterful at threading the needle between not taking itself too seriously while still telling real stories. When characters describe events from the past movies, it is inevitably hilarious. This show gets so many little things right. The utter seriousness with which Johnny replies to being asked about Rocky III is perfection. Thomas Ian Griffith steals the show and the dojo! this season.

5. The Line - Three in a row for AppleTV! I can't believe this got made. For one I can't believe the Navy released all of the actual footage they used. The really mind-blowing thing though is the level of participation they got from the people that were actually involved. This four-part docuseries tells the story of Navy SEAL Eddie Gallagher who was court martialed for war crimes. The level of transparency and openness is stunning. It paints an unflinching picture of the lines that define combat brotherhood, wartime morality, and how they all interact with the 24-hour new cycle. This made it so far up my list just because of the insane level of access it had.

4. For All Mankind - I watched both seasons one and two in the last few weeks largely due to what I read about it here. I loved season one. To borrow a soccer analogy from Ted Lasso this show was dazzling me in the first half of season two. Comfortable in possession it was hanging with the big boys, and in episode 3 scored a goal that vaulted it to #1 on my list. All it had to do was maintain possession and not concede and it was going to pull off a shocking upset in Bulky's list. Then late in the second half, some really dangerous passes. And then, in the 80th minute (Episode 8) the most baffling own goal I've ever seen. The show made a choice that was so jarringly gross and strange it marred not just that episode for me, but the entire season. Hell, the entire show to an extent. Goons were right. The highs on this show are magnificent. But, oof, that low.

3. Ted Lasso - A second season with impossibly high expectations to meet, and largely pulled it off. Speaking of a throwback to when shows had more episodes to play with my goodness did Ted Lasso make the most of their extra time. First it delivered an instant classic of a holiday episode. And then it served up Beard After Hours. Destined to be polarizing, but for me it was an absolute thrill. I don't know what it says about me that I think the best episode of the series has the lowest IMDB rating of any episode but I don't care. It was weird, it was daring and it was beautiful.

2. Succession - This show ALWAYS WINS. If there was an award for best season finales, this show wins it over ANYTHING I can think of. Too Much Birthday was incredible.

1. White Lotus Paradise has never looked so bleak. A wonderful story filled with sad, broken people brought together by unseemly wealth and privilege. The mystery element started as a background noise and built to a deafening crescendo. It had the courage to give people the ending that would happen in real life, not the ending they wanted. Except Quinn, the most decent one of them all

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Feb 17, 2022

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

Hope everything is okay, Looten, and thank you again for doing this. I legitimately look forward to it every year now and get way too excited whenever my quotes show up in the final results. You rock.

E: Had to edit my list because of AppleTV's The Line. AppleTV really cleaning up on my list.

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Feb 17, 2022