Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I'm late to this thread but saw the extended deadline. My list feels a little different than some because there are some big shows I haven't quite finished (Yellowjackets) or even tried (all the Marvel shows). Maybe it's getting burned by cancellations, but I have a soft spot for any limited series. A show that knows it's whole story from the start.

Two shows not on my list that are on many are Wheel of Time, which I just found to be bad. And Squid Game which I couldn't quite get into as much as others. It's weird because I thoroughly enjoy most everything coming from Korea on Netflix (Kingdom, My Name, the myriad of movies).

HM) Kingdom - Ashin of the North - Not sure where to classify this as it was a special episode from a TV show which didn't have a full season in 2021. It's a 90 minute prequel episode to the show and very enoyable. Kingdom is a great show by the way if you haven't seen it yet.

HM) Ted Lasso - I liked it for what it was although felt it was a tad overhyped. At times it was brilliant and utilized the whole cast, but there are also times where I thought "this is just a drawn out SNL skit".

HM) It's Always Sunny - Good, not great season. Didn't enjoy the first half of the season but it got real good at the end. Maybe I've underrating it because there is just so many years of quality, but there was nothing this season that blew me away.

10) Mare of Easttown - Big fan of the limited series setup and this scratched the right itch. It's a great, realistic police drama. A little dark and gritty at times, but it works. And Kate Winslet is incredible. I hope HBO keeps cranking out shows like this each year (loved Sharp Objects too from a few years ago).

9) American Dad - This show is still hilarious. I thought the past season was terrific and has such a high floor that I never feel like I wasted my time on an epiosode. Still have no idea how they keep this show going at such a high level.

8) I Think You Should Leave - Tim Robinson's comedy is right up my alley and I thoroughly enjoyed this season. Wasn't as good as Season 1, but enough moments that I laughed out loud to make it one of my favorites of the year.

7) Succession - Another show I enjoyed but thought was overhyped. It's fun and doesn't take itself too seriously.. Well-written, great acting, and genuinely funny at times. Maybe I'm underating it because the fanbase on Twitter annoys me.

6) Witcher - There are a lot of flaws in this show. Boring and needless plotlines, bad acting, rushing through important parts. But if you can look past that, it can be an incredibly fun show. Cavill is perfect as Geralt and I loved everything with him and Ciri during the season. The MotW episode with the cursed man was flawless. Less political drama and more killing monsters please.

5) The Underground Railroad - Surprise, Amazon has another brilliant show that they mostly ignored to promote their terrible big budget adaptation instead. The writing gets odd at times and I think it should have been a few episodes shorter. But it's an emotional rollercoaster and so well acted. It's a shame they treated this as a "binge" show instead of dropping episodes weekly.

4) Station Eleven - Having never read the book, this one completely suprised me for what it is. Can't think of a post-apocalyptic show done in this fasion. Love how the show is structured and the acting is as good as it gets on TV today.

3) Midnight Mass - Surprised this didn't get more love. I'm a huge fan of the limited series and this was nearly flawless. Love the premise, love the acting, and love how they weave religion and horror into it.

2) The North Water - One of the best dramas I've ever watched (and it appears I'm the only one who watched this show). Superbly acted, slow burn, and a unique setting. Everything I love in a show. And for those who don't know about the show, it's about a whaling expedition in the arctic in the 1850s.

1) For All Mankind - This show is not the best show made, but it was my favorite. I love alternate history and I love space stuff. And I was blown away by how well it was all done. Season 2 made a nice improvement on Season 1 and I'm looking forward to seeing where things go next.

Thanks to everyone on their recommendations here and in the decades thread. Found some real gems and have a nice, long backlog in my queue of shows to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU