Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shneak posted:

Thanks for extending this until January 31. I've been trying to binge a bunch of poo poo I haven't finished in anticipation.

Question: is Inside (Bo Burnham's special) eligible?
I'd say it would need at least multiple episodes to be eligible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
10. Loki

Loki carried the first Avengers movie on his shoulders so it's no surprise he got his own show. The Loki/Sylvie/Mobius dynamic is great. Incredibly high production values mixed with a charismatic cast. Big "Brazil" vibes. It's shame they had to mix it into the overall narrative as a trailer for new movies that are coming out - as disney is inclined to do. They hosed up the season end, you greedy bastards.

9. Squid Game

Probably the "phenomenon" show of the year. It's like Battle Royale but with extra critiques of capitalism. There are some fantastic characters in here, Squid Game would be nothing without the tangled web of character development that unfolds every minute on the screen.

8. Star Trek: Lower Decks

A lot more confident than the first season and made me want to watch more Star Trek. The characters feel like they are coming into their own and as a result, the writing and comedy are stronger.

7. Invincible

A very solid superhero show. There are some quite shocking moments that I still haven't forgotten months on - and if you've seen Invincible you know what I'm talking about.

6. Reservation Dogs

More Indigenous representation on television is great. The young actors are very impressive. It's lowkey and has deadpan humor but is also very poignant at times. You enjoy it more and more as the characters start to grow into their roles in the story.

5. What we do in the shadows

More adventures of the gang. What I wouldn't do to be a slice of ham in a Nadja and Lazlo sandwich.

Honestly, anything with Matthew Berry in it has a chance of being in a top 10 of the year list.

I agreed with this take from Vulture: "What We Do in the Shadows continues to alternate between deadpan, dark, physical, and scatological humor, sometimes within a single scene, with ease and effectiveness. It also remains delightfully weird, acted by pros with impeccable timing, and Goth-gorgeous in every detail, including production designs that demand viewers hit pause in order to absorb everything in the frame."

4. Tuca & Bertie

Strikes a chord with me as a slightly drifting millennial. Covers a lot of taboo* topics incredibly well. I haven't seen a show that is so funny also explores trauma and grief so well. Ali Wong and Tiffany Haddish are incredible. The animation is fantastic.

*to mainstream media

3. Can't Get You Out of My Head: An Emotional History of the Modern World

It's a leftist mini-series that focuses on power and who has it and why they have it. It's a wild mix of storytelling, conspiracy theory, politics - it's incredibly dense and ambitious in scope.

Adam Curtis's mixture of archival footage, sound, and narration is incredibly engaging.

You can watch it here for free: https://thoughtmaybe.com/cant-get-you-out-of-my-head/

2. Ted Lasso

The most wholesome show of 2021? We all need a Ted Lasso in our lives. Spoiler > The heel turn from Nate genuinely pissed me off. What an absolute piece of poo poo.

1. I Think You Should Leave

The funniest show on TV at the moment. It's delightfully absurd. It's already got its own lore.

The scariest thing is it is only one slight veil over reality from being the real.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

gently caress I forgot about can’t get you out of my head. I don’t think it’ll make my top 10 but what a fantastic thing it was. Love the rest of your list too

thank u <3

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Looten Plunder posted:

19. Cobra Kai (Youtube)

25 VOTES - RE-ENTRY

The King returns

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Escobarbarian posted:

Who posts in a forum dedicated to TV and can’t even watch 10 TV shows in one calendar year anyway

Depends whether they need to all be from the current year or not