Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

NieR Occomata posted:

I ran this thread six times in a row? Jesus loving Christ

Let's be fair I really ran like 4 of those ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pillowpants posted:

I'm confused. I interpreted this to meet it must have aired for the first time - like debuted in 2021? Am i understanding wrong?

It means it must have had new content airing for the first time in 2021, not that it must have first aired new content in 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ok enough stalling time to do this. I already wrote a bunch about some of these in the show of the decade thread so most of these will be short and sweet. Yes I don’t want much TV these days

10. AEW Dynamite – Really it would legit be higher but I want to focus on actual TV shows and it’s only here as a placeholder so I can field a complete list

9. What If? - Up and down like all anthology shows but the Dr. Strange and T’challa episodes were ace and Jeffrey Wright is such great casting for Uatu

8. The Falcon and Winter Soldier – Marvel’s attempt to address race relations in America didn’t always land but I appreciate the fact that they tried

7. Loki – Tom Hiddleston and Owen Wilson have fantastic chemistry that really lifts the show beyond a typical time travel adventure

6. Wheel of Time – Been a fan of the books since I was 11 so seeing all these people and places I love represented on screen ruled and despite some flaws I’m hype for season 2 even if I am gonna miss Barney Harris. Thread was a trashfire though.

5. Squid Game – Capitalism is bad, folks

4. Wandavision – They did a boner joke

3. Hawkeye – Hailee Steinfeld power hour part 1

2. Arcane

Hailee Steinfeld power hour part 2

This show should be the poster child for the ‘this show has no right being this good’ movement. It’s an animated series based on a predatory video game with a toxic culture made by an awful company. Yet somehow the folks at Fortiche have crafted the watermark for Western animation. Just looking at the visual perspective Arcane is gorgeous. You could freezeframe almost any moment and have a beautiful piece of art with a style that captures so much emotion along with innovative sequences that push the boundaries of what animation is conceived to be. Apparently they spent six years putting the tech together to make this series work and it shows.

But Arcane isn’t just about style, it’s also got some serious substance to it as well. The show tells the sprawling story of a city on the brink of civil war following decades of exploitation of the underclass. It’s hardly an unusual setting but what Arcane brings to the table is a broad array of characters and stories as they weave through this conflict with every character’s motivations being treated with respect and importance. This isn’t a world of heroes and villains. Even the most benevolent of leaders are flawed, even the most powerful of crimelords has redeeming qualities. People fail to live up to their ideals, people who should know better give in to selfish desires, people gently caress up, it’s messy and it’s real. It’s also very gay.

I can’t stop writing about this show without giving a shoutout to the soundtrack which absolutely slaps. Riot broke the bank to license a number of original songs including numbers from Imagine Dragons and Sting. Particular highlights are Ramsey’s “Goodbye” which plays out the devastating end of Act One and Woodkid’s “Guns For Hire” which underscores the spark that threatens to set the city ablaze in Act Two. These are songs so good they’ve become mainstays in my Spotify and will be for a long time.

If you’ve heard about Arcane but been put off because it doesn’t sound like your kind of thing then you owe it to yourself to check out. This is going to go down as one of the most important shows of the decade.

1. Dickinson

Hailee Steinfeld power hour part 3

Oh geez. I’ve been putting off writing my list specifically because I wasn’t ready to fully put into words how affected I was by this modern reclamation of the beloved American poet Emily Dickinson. I’m still not ready but the deadline for this poll is fast approaching and needs must and all that.

I started seeing articles about Dickinson popping up towards the end of the year and immediately wrote it off. It’s a period show (ugh) about a poet (bleh), pretty much the exact opposite of everything I like. But after Hawkeye I needed more Hailee Steinfeld in my life and after a bit of investigation I realised that calling Dickinson a period show is a lot like calling Zaggitz a good poster. True in theory but it doesn’t work that way in practice. Because while Dickinson may have a period setting it is very much written with modern sensibilities.

The myth of Emily Dickinson has long been told in English Lit classes, the woman in white who feverishly wrote for years hidden away from the world in her bedroom. The show acknowledges this legend but it also presents a more rounded view of the poet including more modern readings of her life, most notably the queer relationship with her sister-in-law Sue, but the show goes far beyond this to present an Emily with a healthy social life and active presence in her community. This Emily could be any one of us. Getting high at a house party, freaking out at an unwanted period, sneaking out the house to see your lover, these are universal experiences. The show emphasises this by living in modern day language and slang which only serves to make the past more accessible.

The star of the show is obviously Steinfeld as Emily delivering the performance of a lifetime that runs the full range from comic to dramatic, often within seconds of each other. Dickinson’s Emily is bold and independent yet also bruised and defensive. All too often she retreats to her words as her fortress yet in doing so she produces works of unparalleled beauty. She is also highly imaginative, a quality the show admirably portrays with a number of ethereal ‘dream’ sequences including a meeting in the future with Sylvia Plath, a literal descent into Hell and multiple philosophical discussions with Death (smoothly played by Wiz Khalifa). This quickly establishes a visual language such that you can never be certain of how real Emily’s reality is.

Steinfeld may be the standout but she’s aided with a fabulous supporting cast, most notably Ella Hunt as Sue – she and Steinfeld have absolutely sizzling chemistry – and Jane Krakowski as Emily’s mum who plays her Kimmy Schmidt character if she’d been taken back in time some 250 years. It’s also worth mentioning Emily’s brother Austin who could have easily been written as her love rival but is instead a clearly good man handled with such sympathy.

I’ve already talked about how this show takes a modern lens on the past but I want to come back to this as it ties into one of the show’s greatest strengths: using the issues of the past to reflect on society’s struggles today. Nowhere does appear stronger than the Civil War which looms large over the show’s final season and mostly experienced through the eyes of the Dickinson’s labourer turned civil rights activist Henry, who’s journey carries a lot of the emotional heart of the show. But while race relations are a major focus the show also takes the time to address gay rights, positive masculinity and the role of allyship.

The rest of what I’m going to say is a load of E/N so I’m spoiling it so everyone can just ignore it.

As I said this show tore me to shreds in a way I still have not fully processed. There are few characters I’ve seen in any form of fiction that I’ve related to in any form of fiction more than this show’s portrayal of Emily. She has a wild imagination, I have a wild imagination. She is queer, I am queer. She spends all her time writing, I… well I’m obviously not one of the greatest poets of history but writing is my main creative outlet and over the years I’ve put a lot of energies into various projects, most of which are on these forums. She many correspondences with friends she knew only by letter. I have a bunch of internet friends from this site. She spent a lot of time in her room and was considered by many to be a recluse. I do not exactly have a vibrant social life. Hearing about Emily’s story broke me. It brought up so much sadness for her fate, because her fate is my fate. I’ve been very lonely for a very long time and this show made me realise that. It opened wounds in me I didn’t even know existed, ones I’m still working out how to care for but for exposing me to that hurt I will be forever grateful.

And that’s Dickinson. I don’t know if I would call it my favourite show of all time cause it’s still too soon to judge. I do know, however, that it’s in the conversation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Peacemaker's a 2022 show

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Let's go Arcane and Hawkeye :toot:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Lol Marvel had 30% of the top 10. It's great that Hawkeye got so much love though, Clint finally got the MCU story he deserved. And godammit Feige, confirm the Kate/Yelena vehicle already :argh:

Thanks for all the hard work LP!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Looten Plunder posted:

Wonder if people will look back at this with the same glasses that we view the Netflix Marvel properties in a few years

I reckon it'll be harder for these to age badly because a) most of these shows are one and dones rather than ongoing series, b) they're an essential part of the MCU rather than a disconnected offshoot, and c) Feige's directly involved in production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Heavy Metal posted:

Other threads like the top games ones don't make you need ten to count.

This is cause it's a lot more likely people won't have played 10 good video games than watched 10 good TV shows