Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looten Plunder posted:

3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere.

This 10 rule has always been a bummer, and I don't see the point of it. You'd get a bigger sample size if you included people who have less than 10 shows from the year. Some people watch a mix of old and new shows etc, their fav five or whatever would still be cool to count. Other threads like the top games ones don't make you need ten to count.

It's one of those things that is just so pointlessly exclusionary. Being a positive thread, why not loosen it up there. Campaign for the 5 show limit for the next one.

I did partake in the recent decade one, that was fun. And thanks for the work on these threads.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Oct 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Rarity posted:

This is cause it's a lot more likely people won't have played 10 good video games than watched 10 good TV shows

I don't find that to be the case in my experience. Either way, it makes it easier to have something to contribute in that thread.

Plus as you know, the game thread even lets you vote for games from previous years, so it's even easier in several ways to have your vote count.

Even if somebody has seen 10 shows airing in a calender year, they might have less than that they really would like to vouch for. Either way, it's just a thing that would let more people contribute, and it'd be cool. It's gatekeeping to say oh who hasn't seen 10 airing this year TV shows. I sure haven't, and I watch lots of stuff.

As for the weighting, they work that out in other threads such as the game one. There are different ways to handle that.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 29, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s not gatekeeping, what on earth

You watched 50 shows, I mention a reasonable idea of counting votes with less than 10 shows. You said who posts on a TV forum who can't yadda yadda, call it what you want, you're just hassling me for no reason here. You even said it's not a bad idea.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Oct 29, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

I don’t think it’s a terrible idea,

Then maybe leave it at that.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Escobarbarian posted:

Sorry you guys are only allowed to say you agree or disagree otherwise you’re hurting their feelings or something idk

To anyone who is listening. Can you please probate Esco for a week. I beg you. He's relentlessly unkind and just insults people and says all this misguided personal stuff, while also not really wanting to talk to somebody. Because he didn't like my post, he's just treating me like I'm not a human being for weeks or whatever. Even though we've posted on here for years and whatnot. He's just flailing like some kind of troll machine that never stops. Why is this ok? I mean it'd be doing him a favor.