Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Thanks for extending this until January 31. I've been trying to binge a bunch of poo poo I haven't finished in anticipation.

Question: is Inside (Bo Burnham's special) eligible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Proud to announce that no reality TV (75% of my TV watching) made the final list.

10. Riverdale
“That would be the secret ingredient I added. Tears that the Virgin Mary shed at the crucifixion.”
Once again: Riverdale is so bad it’s good. It’s a testament to how batshit insane this show is to still keep me entertained after 100 episodes. Events from this year include: wars on football fields, multiple serial killers, the Mothman, fake money, soul swapping, ghosts, witches, the literal devil and parallel universes. It’s completely off the rails at this point and I’m curious to see how it ends if season six is indeed the final season.

9. Search Party
“Kidnapping is a big mood. Check your DMs.”
Search Party began with a simple premise: a woman sees a missing person poster of an old college classmate and becomes obsessed with searching for her. Season 4 does a 180: that woman becomes the missing person. While this season has some funny moments (the famous roundabout scene) with great supporting performances from Susan Sarandon and Cole Escola, it’s also extremely dark for what it puts its protagonist through. It would’ve been a good final season for coming full circle but I’m writing this after seeing the fifth and actual final season which is such a hilariously unbelievable capstone to this show. Stay tuned for that on my 2022 top ten list.

8. Insecure
“I’m okay with seeing what happens.”
Insecure's always been about growth. And that's why I'm somewhat disappointed with the pacing of the final season. To contain most of the character development in the finale through multiple quick flashforwards makes these emotional accomplishments feel somewhat detached. But I can't lie, the ending still got me. Insecure was a game changer in cinematography, set design, and soundtrack integration. So many people felt seen by this show and I'm happy to have been along on the journey.

7. Squid Game
“The star sounds great. Good with me. Besides, nobody sees many stars these days.”
I’m extremely stubborn when it comes to Netflix releases because so much garbage constantly sits in the top ten but the cultural zeitgeist made me bite the bullet: and I’m glad I did! The spectacle of these battle royale children’s games was anxiety-inducing. Overall Squid Game was a fun show for the first six episodes and then gets unbearable as soon as the VIPs get involved. I get the voyeurism theme but they just took me out of it. It didn't really stick the landing either. drat Gi-hun, go be a good dad for a second.

6. Girls5Eva
“I’m afraid that after I die someone will have sex with my dead body and be like, “not worth it.”
I’m so confused as to how and why this show is getting snubbed for awards. It was the funniest show on TV last year and Renée Elise Goldsberry has a scene-stealing role. Maybe it’s because there’s no other reason to have a Peacock subscription? Anyways my favourite TV show is 30 Rock and the writing is more similar to that style than Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. If that sound at all appealing it's worth the watch.

5. WandaVision
“That accent really comes and goes, doesn’t it?”
Ah, the beginning of the Marvel Disney+ deluge. Good times. The experience of WandaVision really made the show. I would wake up early making sure to watch the show before work so I wouldn’t get spoiled. It was also a no man’s land of speculation where it felt like really anything could happen before these shows established its formatting. It’s my fault for having expectations that ultimately disappointed in the rushed finale but the sitcom pastiche episodes are standalone gems that elevate this series overall. Kathryn Hahn has my favourite performance of the year and I’m excited to see what they do with Scarlet Witch, Agatha, and Wiccan.

4. Attack on Titan: The Final Season
"Here and now, as a representative of Marleyan Government, I proclaim to the enemy forces of Paradis, a declaration of war!"
(Spoiler: this isn’t exactly the final season.) I find it fascinating when a story can reinvent itself in the middle of its run. Attack on Titan’s last season introduces a brand new cast after a time skip. Changing the perspective of the story from the oppressed prison island and making them the aggressors is a fascinating take on war. A new animation studio took the reins securely and certainly didn’t deserve the death threats they received for increased 3D model use due to being on a tight deadline in a pandemic. As a manga reader I’m excited to see just how they adapt the craziness of the end… and hoping they change that final chapter.

3. The Witcher
“You are already enough, Cirilla. You are extraordinary.”
Full disclosure: I haven’t read the books or played the video games. I’m a filthy casual. So it took me quite a few episodes in the first season for the show to click. Season 2 is much better on the basis of a clearer timeline and the three main characters colliding in the story. The highlight of the season is the improved special effects budget resulting in some incredible looking monster fights. Unfortunately there’s just not enough shirtless Geralt scenes—none, in fact.

2. Loki
“That’s where I grew up, the ends of a thousand worlds. And now that’s where I’ll die.”
I’ll be honest: I didn’t intend to watch this, and when I decided to watch it I didn’t intend to like it. But I loved it. I never understood the appeal of Tom Hiddleston’s Loki but this series gave him something to work with. At this point it’s a trope for somebody to say a new Marvel entry’s doing anything fresh but this one truly felt different—like it was a prompt for the greater MCU. Its time travel plot is handled better than Avengers Endgame’s situation. Shoutout to Kasra Farahani for the stellar production design. The TVA looked so consistently designed and the cosmic settings should be something Doctor Who copies.

1. Inside
“Hey, what can you say? We were overdue. But it’ll be over soon, just wait.”
(I’m including Inside on my list because it was eligible for television awards like the Emmys rather than film awards.) I was a casual fan of Bo Burnham’s prior comedy specials. He had some good jokes and some funny songs but with my awful memory it would go in one ear and out the other. Inside is my favourite comedy special of all time now. I could not stop thinking about it last year and have not. White Woman’s Instagram and That Funny Feeling even made my 2021 Spotify Wrapped. Nothing has made me feel that vulnerably exposed. It’s truly the pinnacle of pandemic creativity.