Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
10: Flip or Flop : Last year I watched quite a few house flipping shows, most of them did not hold my interest into 2021, but this one did. I enjoy watching them cruise around the area, and a lot of the gentle humor has returned now that the divorce is well in the rear view.

09. Blade Runner: Black Lotus: The art is wild, it's all dark, gritty and realistic, and captures the feel of the world of Blade Runner, but then the people are anime. I eventually stopped thinking about it too much. If you would've asked me if I wanted to a Blade Runner extended universe I probably would have said no but they handle it well and I enjoyed the mystery.

08: Ted Lasso: It's a very pleasant show, leaves me with a nice feeling.

07: House Hunters: This show is relaxing in a way that few things can match and somehow most of its clones (other than its sister show, international) are for some reason unable to match. Also I wish there was an easier way to post about it, because sometimes I see some wild poo poo that I want to post about, but I'm watching an episode on my DVR of the show from like 3 years ago.

06: The Challenge: The gimmick of the show is absolutely stupid and the horning-in of various spy phrases is completely ridiculous especially considering that the cast has very little buy-in. But they continue to find ways to innovate when it comes to challenges on the show, and ways to keep the gameplay fresh despite having a large (the largest ever this time) returning class. Expanding the field to finally include American Survivor players (they already had Survivors from other countries) has been welcome.

05: Survivor: The gameplay this season was pretty bad,as were the twists, but I did like that they peeled the layers back at least a tiny bit on the the production, and I liked that they had a more diverse cast and they discussed a lot of the racial realities not only of the show but of the United States.

04: Illegal Freedom: Youtube series about an "Eastern European" (he doesn't say where exactly) in a mask ridin' the rails like an old time hobo when he's not busy exploring abandoned places all around Europe. The show has very little pretense and even a healthy patreon and a big youtube channel hasn't changed the product much. The show basically combines the pleasantness of Slow TV train shows with the real tension of going places you aren't supposed to be with people that really will throw you in jail for a night if they catch you. Shiey seems very nice and genuine and is a great guide through all these adventures and I really hope he doesn't fall off a tower or plane or something.

03: Inside the NBA: Chuck's takes getting more old man every year is sad, but the show is still very good and still leaves me feeling very nice many times a year. There's no better coverage of the sport, it's done with humor and insight and heart

02: NJPW G1 Climax: For the first time, I decided I was going to watch as much of this live as possible, and I did it in a year that most people were disappointed by the announced lineup of the show. But for a few weeks I managed to go to bed at 9 or 10 (or honestly like, 12:00 since I suck at going to bed) and get some sleep and then wake up at 1:00 am or 2:00 am to watch wrestling until 4:00 or 5:00 AM, and then go to bed for a few hours before work. And it was extremely worth it. There were almost no bad matches,and a lot of the disappointing entrants had some of the most entertaining contests. A very satisfying TV experience.

01: Abroad in Japan : This youtube channel ultimately was my favorite thing to watch this year. Chris Broad's rather pleased with his sardonic wit and it certainly is enjoyable, but he has more than a little bit of heart and his love of the various places he visits in Japan show through. Usually coupled with a large cast of Japanese natives, other expats, and his friends from the UK, there's a look at Japan from a large group of perspectives. In a bad year, escapism and nostalgia for my brief visit to Japan were essential for getting through, as was this show.

Edit for grammar

Rick fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU