Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's here again for another year. Like sands through the hour glass, the streaming wars continue with even more players, COVID continues to cause havoc on TV productions and there is a new sex-pest revelation evey other week. On the off weeks we lose another of our beloved stars from yesteryear and Atlanta Season 3 continues to not be out. These are the days of our lives. Join us in celebrating the best that 2021 had to offer in our Annual Poll.

:siren::siren::siren:Deadline is 11:59PM US EST Friday 18th of Feb:siren::siren::siren:

:siren:VOTING RULES:siren:
1. Every show you pick must have had a first time airing in its country of origin in full or in part during 2021. This could be a network show, a cable show, an online show, a TV movie (not movies from streaming services), it could even be a Youtube thing if you're down with what the kids are calling 'it'.
2. The joy of this thread is in getting to shout about your favourites and hear about the hidden gems that you missed and we can only do that if you talk about why you've chosen the shows you have. You can write a sentence, you can write an essay, whatever you like as long as you write something. Any lists posted without reasons for their picks will not be counted in the final vote.
3. If you want to list more than ten shows go for it but I'll only count your top ten. If you want to list less than ten shows then go for that too but I won't count it at all. If you don't want to rank your picks then that's fine as well but again, I won't count it.
4. Don't be a dick about other people's choices. This is a positive thread to celebrate the best of TV, not a place for people to get lost in an argument over which genre show in its third season poo poo the bed worst. If you want to be critical then take it elsewhere.
5. If you want to talk about spoilers in your post then by all means go for it but put a spoiler warning at the start of your list.
6. If you want to go back and edit your list after the fact then go for it, just shoot me a PM or post in the thread to let me know you have or I might not count it. Please ensure you edit your original post, don’t create a new list. I will periodically link user posts in the second comment of this thread.
7. Deadline for submissions is 11:59 on Jan 31st . I'll then do a live countdown of the final results some time after that at a time that suits the thread (that I'm able to do from the other side of the world.)

There you have it, it's as simple as that!

Previous Polls
TVIV Poll 2012: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3523734
TVIV Poll 2013: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3591552
TVIV Poll 2014: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686396
TVIV Poll 2015: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3754622
TVIV Poll 2016: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3800289
TVIV Poll 2017: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3840812
TVIV Poll 2018: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876499
TVIV Poll 2019: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905825
TVIV Poll 2020: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952217

Far from exhaustive list of shows that debuted this year that people might be interested in including:
Girls5eva
Lupin
WandaVision
Squid Game
Yellowjackets
Hacks
Only Murders in the Building
The White Lotus
Reservation Dogs
Loki
Hawkeye
Schmigadoon!
Blindspotting
Ultra City Smiths
Brand New Cherry Flavour
Time
Kevin Can gently caress Himself
Mare of Easttown
Mr. Mayor
M.O.D.O.K
Sweet Tooth
Heels
Y: The Last Man
Chucky
Arcane
Mayor Easttown
Mayor of Kingstown
Cowboy Bebop
Wheel of Time
Station 11

Reminder :siren: Please come by and visit the Best of the Decade Poll and make a submission. The results of that poll will be announced a couple of weeks before this one.:siren:

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Feb 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Hyrax Attack!
bowmore
Jerusalem
BetterLekNextTime
bagrada
Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Escobarbarian
Nerdietalk
TelevisedInsanity
cant cook creole bream
Rick
RestingB1tchFace
Hobbes
Oasx
cryptoclastic
Bulky Bartokomous
ShakeZula
achillesforever6
punk rebel ecks
bou
Shneak
Pillowpants
Rarity
Ishamael
Chairman Capone
Pan Dulce
Yer Burnt
Looten Plunder
Open Source Idiom
King Burgundy

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 22, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Also:

Congrats to 2021 TV Show of the Year, 2020's Better Call Saul! :haw:

Fixed.

The results this year are going to be interesting. I normally do a "here is the top 20 shows that aired last year that are eligible this year" list in the OP and I got through the top 50 from last year and only had about 7 shows.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I would say.....no?

I'll leave it to the thread to decide. Comedy Specials have never really come up in the thread from memory, but I see them as movies, more than I do TV shows. Maybe the boss of Cinema Discusso end of year poll (Rarity?) can weigh in if Inside is eligible on their poll?

Although "TV Movies" are eligible according to the rules (I've just kept them the same ever since I took over the Poll).

But, the aim of the thread is to celebrate TV and help people discover/try things they otherwise might not have, so I see no problem with you including it. I don't think it's going to ruin the integrity of the poll.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

By pure chance I was told a couple days ago about Lupin (inspired by the old books, not the anime... which was also inspired by the old books!) and ended up racing through all 10 episodes because it just caught me up immediately, it's another one well worth checking out if anybody is looking for more fodder for their lists... or just to watch a really enjoyable show!

Yeah, Lupin got a bit of love in the chat thread when it was on. It's fun.

If you want more Lupin but don't want to watch the whole anime, Miyazaki's directorial debut for Ghibli was a Lupin movie. The Castle of Cagliostro.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do limited documentary series count? Like one's split into 4 to 6 episodes?

Yes, the one The Jinx from a few years ago polled quite well

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

Whoops, wrong thread. I meant the decade one.

The deadline is going to move don't worry

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

It's kind of confusing, but would my experience of "Demon Slayer" qualify?

If your nominating the TV show, and the TV show aired in 2021 then it's fine (although it would be odd to nominate a show you didn't watch)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

Only the movie aired in 2021, but it was edited into a TV version. That’s why he’s asking if it counts.

Then I'd say make it an honorable mention to let people know about it and avoid putting it on the list cause that all just sounds like a mess

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

RestingB1tchFace posted:

here's my list of top ten shows of 2021

Be sure to update your post with some commentary/reasoning.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I really hope I can catch that before the poll closes

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

9. Exterminate all the Brutes (HBO Max)

OK, this looks cool (and depressing). Thanks for the recommendation. How many episodes?

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
:siren:I'm extending the deadline out to 11:59PM US EST Friday 11th of Feb with the idea of doing the reveal on the 14th.:siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Sorry guys, I'm gonna have to push this another week, I've barely had time to do anything. New deadline is :siren:Friday 18th Feb 11:59PM :siren:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Life unfortunately

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I normally like to do my 50-1 but I just don't have time this year. There was loots of "good" TV this year but I wouldn't say there was a lot of "great" TV. Anyways, here is my Top 10.

10. Snowfall
This show has got consistently better over time. It's a very different show than what it was when it started out, but I really like what they're doing. Can't wait to see what they dish up this year. For those that like their drug dramas a'la Narcos, The Wire etc. give this one a go (no, i'm not saying this is as good as The Wire)

9. Squid Game
I don't think this was as groundbreaking or amazing than the general public. With that said, it was a really fun watch and anything that gets more people to watch foreign content is a win in my book.

8. Heels
This was my "far exceeded my low expectations" show of the year. Yeah, it can be slightly cheesy at times, but you know what? So is wrestling. The creators clearly have some respect for and knowledge of the industy and it shows. Cast is also a blast too.

7. Mare of Easttown
A bit too prestigy for it's own good? Maybe. It's no Sharp Objects but it was well made, Kate Winslet is awesome and this sort of thing is right up my alley.

6. Bluey
This show continues to hit it out of the park. I'm really happy to see how popular it's getting in the US/UK as well. Now in it's third season, the creators show no sign of running out of ideas. Continues to make me laugh, cry, entertain the kids and inspire me to be a better father. All in 7 minute chunks.

5. Yellowjackets
I'm not skeptical they'll be able to repeat in season two, but for now, I had a lot of fun with this show. Both the adult, and teenage casts are amazing. It was also fun to speculate in the thread each week, and see all the batshit theories the rest of the internet would come up up.

4. Reservation Dogs
I think I liked the concept of this show a bit more than the show itself. That's not to say I didn't still love it (hell, i gave it number 4). Really interesting perspective, setting and story to tell. The kids are all doing an amazing job and I like learning more about American Indians and their way of life/challenges they face.

3. Mr. Inbetween
What a fantastic way to wrap up the series. Every episode was an absolute barn burner. Sad to see it go, but if that's what Scott Ryan wanted to do, so be it. Can't wait to see what he chooses to do next.

2. Mythic Quest
My favourite pure comedy of the year. I love watching this cast work together, it has the same magic as Community and Happy Endings where it looks like the cast is having an absolute blast. Loved the expanded focus on the supporting characters and particularly enjoyed the Brad arc.

1. Succession
There was no doubt this year. Sitting down to watch each week made me giddy inside as these lunatics continue to scrap with each other and be awful. Not as strong as season 2, but still an absolute joy to watch.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I've updated everyones lists into the spreadsheet and linked them on the second post of the thread. If you've voted and your don't appear on that list, please comment so I can fix it up prior to tallying.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

My username's missing from the post.

King Burgundy posted:

I'm also missing.

Yeah sorry, i left the last three submissions off the list - fixed now.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
It's finally arrived. Apologies for the delay. Please welcome the preliminary list of the best shows of 2021 (seems so long ago now!)

119= (1 Point)
Big Brother (CBS)
Dorktown (Web)
Flip or Flop (HGTV)
In Treatment (HBO)
Invitation to Party (G4TV)
Nine Perfect Strangers (Hulu)
Ranking of Kings (Fuji TV)
Riverdale (CW)
Snowfall (FX)
The Bite (Spectrum Originals)
The Outpost (CW)
The Wonder Years (ABC)
Tiger King (Netflix)

109= (2 Points)
American Dad (FOX)
Blade Runner: Black Lotus (Adult Swim)
Exterminate all the Brutes (HBO)
Outpost (CW)
PBS Monstrum (PBS)
Servant (Apple TV+)
Stargirl (DC Universe)
Superstore (NBC)
Ten Year Old Tom (HBO Max)
The Cube (TBS)

99= (3 Points)
Bosch (Amazon)
Dexter (Showtime)
Evil (CBS)
Heels (Starz)
Insecure (HBO)
Jellystone (HBO Max)
Jujutsu Kaisen (JNN)
PBS Eons (PBS)
Schmigadoon! (Apple TV+)
Wynonna Earp (Syfy)

92= (4 Points)
Awkwafina is Nora from Queens (Comedy Central)
Generation (HBO Max)
House Hunters (HGTV)
Joe Pera Talks With You (Adult Swim)
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver (HBO)
RuPaul's Drag Race (Logo TV)
The Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)

89= (5 Points)
Bluey (ABC (Australia))
Castlevania (Netflix)
The Challenge (MTV)

83= (6 Points)
Black Monday (Showtime)
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (Tokyo MX)
Landscapers (HBO)
Love Life (HBO Max)
Shadow & Bone (Netflix)
Survivor (CBS)

73= (7 Points)
Adventure Time (Cartoon Network)
AEW Rampage (TNT)
Attack on Titan (Adult Swim)
Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)
Illegal Freedom (Web)
Lucifer (FOX)
Mr. Corman (Apple TV+)
The Owl House (Disney+)
Tuca and Bertie (Netflix)
Waffles + Mochi (Netflix)

60= (8 Points)
Big Brother Canada (Global)
Can't Get You Out of My Head (BBC)
Cowboy Bebop (Netflix)
Cruel Summer (Freeform)
Fear The Walking Dead (AMC)
Inside the NBA (TNT)
Kevin Can gently caress Himself (AMC)
Legends of Tomorrow (CW)
Letterkenny (Crave)
Mr. Inbetween (FX)
Sonny Boy (Tokyo MX)
Star Wars Visions (Disney+)
Superman & Lois (CW)

=54 (9 Points)
Creamerie (TVNZ)
NJPW G1 Climax (Web)
On Cinema (Web)
Swan Boy (FX)
The North Water (BBC Two)
Why Women Kill (CBS All Access)

=44 (10 Points)
Dickinson (Apple TV+)
Dopesick (Hulu)
Inside (Netflix)
It's a Sin (Channel 4)
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia (FX)
Saturday Morning All Star Hits (Netflix)
Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All Access)
Taskmaster (UK) (Dave)
The Other Two (HBO Max)
The Walking Dead (AMC)

=39 (11 Points)
Lupin (Netflix)
Search Party (TBS)
The Good Fight (Paramount+)
The Nevers (HBO)
What If? (Disney+)

=36 (12 Points)
Brooklyn Nine-Nine (FOX)
The Great (Hulu)
The Underground Railroad (Amazon)

35. Doom Patrol (DC Universe)
(13 Points)

=32 (14 Points)
Resident Alien (Syfy)
The Great British Bake-Off (BBC One)
You (Netflix)

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Countdown will be begin at 9PM Eastern

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
OK, let's do it guys. Apologies for the delays with this, had some life stuff going on, but we finally got there. Hopefully I can get this out quickly as I need to pick the kids up from school soon. Without further ado, let the results begin!!!!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Those keen observers may have noticed the list stopped at 32. Which means a tie!

The surprise being, it's a four way tie!!!!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

The show is so warm, funny, and charming, with such a strong sense of place and a world that feels “lived in,” populated by real characters who have spent their lives in this community, together.

Escobarbarian posted:

so profound and funny and experimental in all the best ways.
28. Blindspotting (Starz)

15 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Oasx posted:

Just an excellent buddy cop show, a traditional superhero story told extremely well.
28. Falcon and the Winter Soldier (Disney+)

15 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Shneak posted:

I’m so confused as to how and why this show is getting snubbed for awards

ShakeZula posted:

Just the classic Tina Fey model of rapid-fire joke delivery, general silliness, and a good amount of heart.
28. Girls5Eva (Peacock)

15 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

bou posted:

There are always winners and losers. Right and Wrong seems to come down to personal choice.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You can feel some of the nerve-wracking, edge-of-your-seat tension and drama many people loved and missed in Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones on this sci-fi series
28. Snowpiercer (TNT)

15 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 22, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

cant cook creole bream posted:

this show was just so incredibly stylish.

BetterLekNextTime posted:

What a fun ride! The creators really hit the nail on the head. Dark but not morose, weird without being off-putting, and sexy without getting too gratuitous

27. Brand New Cherry Flavor (Netflix)

16 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
We have another tie!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

I cannot overstate the achievement of this TV show/film/whatever.

Oasx posted:

I was left with a major admiration for the sheer amount of talent these four people had.

25. The Beatles: Get Back (Disney+)

17 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Rarity posted:

seeing all these people and places I love represented on screen ruled

Hobbes posted:

expectations were very low. And thus very much exceeded!

25. The Wheel of Time (Amazon)

17 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
And another tie!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jerusalem posted:

Oh God I feel bad for doing this, but...

God loving damnit. I spend so much time formatting poo poo and there is still a mistake

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I shall make the ammendments in the official records

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

If all comic books were similar to Invincible then I would be a diehard comic geek.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Was unsure about this knowing the plot twist, but excellent animation and universe building made it a winner

23. Invincible (Amazon)

18 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

ShakeZula posted:

A lot of people were nominated for and won awards, and they were all deserved.

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Super compelling throughout and the conclusion was very satisfying.

23. Mare of Easttown (HBO)

18 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

I'm a huge fan of the limited series and this was nearly flawless.

Slamhound posted:

This was surprisingly affecting

22. Midnight Mass (Netflix)

19 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Oasx posted:

After years slowly losing interest in wrestling, because an insane billionaire controls most of the market, I discovered AEW and suddenly remembered that pro wrestling can be good and fun.

achillesforever6 posted:

Best wrestling show that has gotten me back in the fandom after burning out the last couple of years.

21. AEW Dynamite (TNT)

20 VOTES - UP 34

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

punk rebel ecks posted:

Highly recommended to anybody who is likes teen dramas, fighting, or ‘80s films.

Hobbes posted:

It’s incredibly cheesy but knows it and can play in that space so perfectly, and uses all its cameos from the movies with such glee.

19. Cobra Kai (Youtube)

25 VOTES - RE-ENTRY

Looten Plunder posted:

I had a lot of fun with this show. Both the adult, and teenage casts are amazing.

Chairman Capone posted:

the show is so compelling that the lack of payoff (so far) does not feel like a ripoff, but a promise.

19. Yellowjackets (Showtime)

25 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

solid contender for best sci fi tv show ever for me.

bou posted:

A clear candidate for the number one spot and it would have taken it this time - if only they wouldn't have rushed everything into six episodes.

18. The Expanse (Amazon)

27 VOTES - DOWN 6

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

King Burgundy posted:

This was an out of nowhere surprise. Who'd of thought a show based on an awful game would be so good?

Rarity posted:

This show should be the poster child for the ‘this show has no right being this good’ movement.

17. Arcane (Netflix)

31 VOTES - NEW ENTRY
:toot:Best Animation:toot:

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

bowmore posted:

More Indigenous representation on television is great. The young actors are very impressive.

I'm not sure I can fully articulate why this show tops my list, but it just seemed to hit every note for my wife and I.

15. Reservation Dogs (FX)

32 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Niwrad posted:

Less political drama and more killing monsters please.

Shneak posted:

The highlight of the season is the improved special effects budget resulting in some incredible looking monster fights.

15. The Witcher (Netflix)

32 VOTES - RE-ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Paradise has never looked so bleak. A wonderful story filled with sad, broken people brought together by unseemly wealth and privilege.

The way the anticipation of the disasters built towards the last episode just made this show for me.

14. The White Lotus (HBO)

35 VOTES - NEW ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Niwrad posted:

This show is not the best show made, but it was my favorite.

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

The highs on this show are magnificent.

13. For All Mankind (Apple TV+)

36 VOTES - RE-ENTRY

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TelevisedInsanity posted:

one of my favorite shows, hands down, a mix of found footage, documentary, and nathan fielder surrealist comedy,

Slamhound posted:

The amount of pathos this packs in is incredible. Each episode is an emotional journey.

12. How To with John Wilson (HBO)

40 VOTES - UP 3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

I love watching this cast work together, it has the same magic as Community and Happy Endings where it looks like the cast is having an absolute blast

ShakeZula posted:

The writing is sharp, the characters are compelling, and the performances are both hilarious and emotionally resonant. Just an all-around great show.

11. Mythic Quest (Apple TV+)

43 VOTES - UP 107
:toot:Highest Climber:toot: