Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I know summer is about to start down there. And in most of the population centers, it has never snowed. So what is Xmas like? Do you grow up confused about sleighs and reindeer and stockings? Are they even a thing?

It must be especially strange for people who grew up in the north with typical western Xmas traditions and then find themselves near the beach of Melbourne.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
We get all the media of the traditional white Christmas sort of thing. But we experience a completely different one. Right now it's like 90F on a reasonably cool day, in a cool area.

Also I recently found out just as many families here are psychotic for Christmas and treat it as the most important day and that's loving wild. I lived like two blocks away from my mum for a couple years and didn't go to Christmas because I could see her whenever (and did) and she gave no fucks.

Christmas is weird. It's just a day.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
If australians treat christmas the same way as everything else then it's filled with hostility and seething rage.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Drinking stubbies, grilling meats, hanging out with people you love, planning for the new year’s party

I never even been there and I bet that’s at least 60% correct.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Santa's sleigh is actually a landcruiser and its pulled by kangaroos.
Instead of being all "on dasher on dancer, on prancer" etc... Santa pretty much says "oi cunts, get the gently caress going ain't ye know I gotta get these prezzies delivered and then get back to the pub fer a beer".

The rest of the year santa has a mullet, drives a ute and hangs out with Steve Rackman.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
santa's sleigh is pulled by flying koalas instead of reindeer

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Nooner posted:

Somebody please draw this lol I’m so drunk and high

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

I'm looking at a plastic Xmas tree and it's so loving hot and humid sweat is rolling down my face as I type this post.

I might walk down to the beach and go for a swim.

E: :australia:

Blow fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 21, 2021

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nooner posted:

It's actually six white boomers, snow white boomers, taking Santa Claus through the blazing sun.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Drinking stubbies, grilling meats, hanging out with people you love, planning for the new year’s party

Also honestly this is loving spot on goddamn.

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av
A friend from South America says it's a lot of fireworks and going to the beach, I'm jealous

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydYDqZQpim8

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's slightly warmer than it is in the northern hemisphere now OP.

syfyAnubis
Jun 22, 2021
it is very hot

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
Picture it being summer but you decorate everything in the Traditional winter Christmas style. That's what Christmas is like here.

syfyAnubis
Jun 22, 2021
Also Omicron's making waves in nsw.

Good times ahead lol

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
We watch National Lampoons Christmas Vacation instead of prison executions but otherwise its exactly the same as the US.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
It's the same, because it's still centered around the birth of Christ, pal! :mad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Instead of going around to other people's houses to sing them Christmas Carols other people come to our house and sing to us.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Australians have a quirky little tradition where they bareknuckle box a kangaroo to death on Christmas Eve in hope Santa will leave better presents

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

look at these bastards.

oryxes

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Do they have Christmas Pits in the Northern Hemisphere? If not, what do you do with unwanted children?

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

blight rhino posted:

look at these bastards.

oryxes

drat he left

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
sipping and islan drink

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
We put prawns on the Barbie, not shrimp

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
they set up their christmas trees upside down

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuFr76btbnE&ab_channel=BMFAustralia

wait a minute honey
May 12, 2006
Probably demolish a slab of VB throughout the day depending on how hot it is.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
their Santa's sleigh is pulled by Emus

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

For Southern hemisphere people, it's the Northern hemisphere Xmas that is different.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Santa comes from down under instead of up above and also they call him Atnas and instead of bearing gifts he takes your stuff away

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
I was in South Africa a couple of year ago doing some fieldwork. The guy I was staying at described Christmas time as the hottest time of the year, where the best way to spend the day was wrapped in wet towels on the floor while waiting for evening and things to cool down. Also his christmas tree was an actual tree outside with a bit of tinsel on.

Pretty great place I'd like to revisit once we've got covid managed.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Nigmaetcetera posted:

I’ve lived here all my life and that’s pretty much correct.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
PRAWNS

ON

THE

BARBIE

MATE

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Santa hats on flamingos and Christmas lights on palm trees just like in Orlando.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

it’s better op

you get a long summer break and you spend the day enjoying the beach or a bbq or playing cricket or whatever. then you have this cool limbo zone between christmas and new years then roll into party season. it’s also imo a more natural end to the year - rather than having a big summer holiday/vacation in the middle of the year, it’s kinda nice to cap the year off with a break and christmas

I prefer it to being kinda stuck inside at xmas although that has its charms too (i have had about 5 northern hemisphere christmases)

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I'm guessing lots of farts and poops

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
They don't have Christmas there, they have Anti-Christmas. Instead of snow and cold, they have desert weather. Instead of giving gifts, they take them. Instead of eating good food with friends and family, they poo poo and barf with strangers and enemies. And so on. It's real bad.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

It’s wrong op. Wrong and unnatural

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

The sun doesn't rise until March is what I hear, op