Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

For years I have spent all anniversaries alone and uncelebrated. No birthdays, no Christmas or Thanksgiving.

It's been so long now that I don't even have traditions. I have no tree or decorations.

When I think back on previous ones it feels like remembering a dead friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

nothing nicer than spending a holiday alone. It's actually quiet out, not much traffic, unlikely to be bothered by daily responsibilities. Just kicking back for a day of free rest.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I just volunteer to work every holiday, it's usually slow as hell and I get paid extra. It's my gift to myself.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Have a nice cup of nog OP.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Make a new tradition for yourself, even if it's just watching a movie you like or cooking a new dish.

No need to tie yourself to the idea you have to behave a certain way on a holiday.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Sorry to hear that op. The idea is very sad to me. Some people are content with it though so to each his own.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Chinatown posted:

Have a nice cup of nog OP.

u a rum nogger or a bourbon nogger ct?

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

No. 6 posted:

For years I have spent all anniversaries alone and uncelebrated. No birthdays, no Christmas or Thanksgiving.

It's been so long now that I don't even have traditions. I have no tree or decorations.

yeah I worked retail/customer service on holidays for so many years and heard so much piped in Christmas music that I simply just don't enjoy them anymore.
Even now that I don't, I get no true joy from them and essentially fake it for friends and family who haven't burnt out on it.

I mean, it IS nice to see people and hang out and have a good meal and things, and I can be thankful social, and happy for that, but deepdown I feel like "I'm not really on the same level here". Sucks.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
use ur genitals to make a family OP

cosmo sex tip
Sep 26, 2005
contains sodium borate, xanthan gum, sucrose stearate, glucose, glucose oxidase & lactoperoxidase, and fragrance.

Big Beef City posted:

yeah I worked retail/customer service on holidays for so many years and heard so much piped in Christmas music that I simply just don't enjoy them anymore.
Even now that I don't, I get no true joy from them and essentially fake it for friends and family who haven't burnt out on it.

I mean, it IS nice to see people and hang out and have a good meal and things, and I can be thankful social, and happy for that, but deepdown I feel like "I'm not really on the same level here". Sucks.

yeah it really does feel like "this is a holiday you have to be part of a certain leisure class that gets time off for holidays and can afford gifts and celebrations to enjoy now" and all those memories of pretty lights and family together time were a lie

the older you get and the more family around you dies it just gets super hollow and meaningless

I guess it's different for my friends who have spouses and children and stuff but I can't afford any of that poo poo lmao

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I like to put up lots of fun christmas lights (:

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

A Fancy Hat posted:

Make a new tradition for yourself, even if it's just watching a movie you like or cooking a new dish.

No need to tie yourself to the idea you have to behave a certain way on a holiday.

this 100%

behave the way you want on holidays. I love Christmas because I love decorating and giving gifts and watching movies with my parents. If I had a house I would be the Clark Griswold of the neighborhood. But if that doesn't work for you do something you want! Make it your day! If you want it to be just another day, then make it so.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Chief McHeath posted:

bourbs 4 lyfe

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Weird flex but okay.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i always drive out for a mcdonalds on jan 1st and enjoy having a drive on empty streets

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 9 days!)

i dunno if i'd actually deny them it but i've felt like christmas was bad for children psychologically for a long time. expecting to gorge on expensive gifts at this specific point in the year, attaching all the consumerism surrounding christmas to precious childhood memories.

birthdays don't bother me as much since it's more of an individual thing than just this frenzy.

don't really like anything about christmas at all, i just ignore it except for family obligations which i'd rather not propagate. it's bad. just get people presents sometimes instead.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i ate half a brick of cheddar and now i cant poo poo so i feel you op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

That's the true meaning of. Christmas

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Half a brick? Amateur

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

No. 6 posted:

This is your tradition.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

It’s fun to decorate, put some decorations up around the house. It’ll feel good. Put on some Christmas-y music like Handel’s Messiah. Try to do something nice and surprising for someone that you wouldn’t normally do. You don’t even need friends for this, you can buy a big sandwich and a soda for a homeless guy. Read A Christmas Carol, it’s really good and might surprise you with how affecting it is, there is a lot of stuff in there you may relate to. Drink some egg nog and turn the heat way up. You can get in the Christmas spirit buddy, I believe in you

ChunTheUnavoidable fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 22, 2021

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
This Christmas I'm going to eat weed chocolates and chicken soup while lying in bed covered in cats (3 cats). I'm going to watch that Michael Shannon film about a gigantic storm while doing this, and then listen to music.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Thanks all you posters. Been enjoying all the replies, even the snarky ones. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Merry Christmas :)

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
I've been doing them alone for awhile too. I do usually cook something I like, than maybe binge horror movies and get drunk. Honestly it's sometimes weird to see how much people get in the spirit for certain holidays. And even if they don't mean much I still wish we had more holidays as Americans (irt work).

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mods!!

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Lights go up: nice.
Family of unvaxxed: wth stay away from me.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

No. 6 posted:

Thanks all you posters. Been enjoying all the replies, even the snarky ones. Merry Christmas ya filthy animals.

Honestly there might be a goon discord or video chat or whatever going on for the holidays as I imagine other goons are in the same boat. I would have no idea where to finda that information for it but ya should give it a go. Worst case scenario is you bail.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

you should watch Scrooged it’s really funny

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Happy Holidays OP!!!

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I have a house but i haven't decorated it for holidays since I've lived here. I just don't feel like putting forth the effort i guess. I have decorated a little inside in the past but this year i didn't even do that, my house is a wreck so I'd need to clean before i can even think about decorating. My family is 2000 miles away and my aunt died this year. All in all it's gonna be a crappy Christmas but i don't really care. Probably will eat some gummies and chill, maybe watch MST3K Christmas movies (Santa Claus is superior to Santa Claus Conquers the Martians) and cuddle with my animals. And I'll do a video call with the fam and see my neice. At least i get a 3 day weekend too. It ain't so bad op

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
I've never been a huge fan of Christmas, at least, not since I was very young. To me it's just more stress heaped onto an already stressful existence with the added bonus of "You ruined Christmas!" if I let my happy face façade slip.

runnypoops
Mar 26, 2016

been there. done that. prove yourself to me.

Chief McHeath posted:

U cant say that word bro

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I don't celebrate birthdays either what's the point :smuggo:

If you can't separate day from day and year from year you're subjectively eternal

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Happy Birthday, honey. Did you want to go out for dinner, deal with loud unruly kids in public, have absolutely no fun, spend $200 of your money, and be exhausted by the end of the evening?

No bitch. I don't.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Giving our foster babies the superb Christmas they deserve and spoiling my son with all the poo poo I was always too poor to get as a kid. Then resenting them for it. Fuckers.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude

Treecko posted:

I just volunteer to work every holiday, it's usually slow as hell and I get paid extra. It's my gift to myself.

Wtf is wrong with you

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
But WHY are you this way OP?

There, I took the bait, let's hear it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
OP you will be visited by the ghosts of 3 failed reregs. Heed their warnings!