Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Since we started a loving oil well up again, I propose we go for the Kinngait Protectorate (Arctic) project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, I'd thought about finishing the LP with the Madrigal Islands sector project. Then I looked up the requirements on the wiki, and the final phase requires being level 100. For reference, I am currently level 52.

Yeah, no. I do not love the mindless make numbers go up to make other numbers go up part of Anno. Plan now is just to finish all the sector projects.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A Profitable Partnership

So when we left off in Iwamoto Crater, perhaps the worst-planned operation to harvest a dirt-common mineral from radioactive asteroids on the moon ever had hit a snag and needed three medical centers. These have now been built.

Next step, provide a boatload of BioEnhancers that probably should have been provided to the team in the first place. What are y'all even mining in these asteroids?

Fresh meat for the grinder! This necessitated some expansion of the colony.

And now there's radioactive waste everywhere.

How are you dumb fucks still in business?

Well, we now have a second mining site generating magnetite.

Now to bring in your mom's dildo what appears to be one of the molybdenum drills from the arctic to crack open the third meteor.

Classy.

More redshirts! More!

I could scale up super coolant production in Ikkuma and ship it in. Or I could just briefly run a huge import from the world market and be done with this in thirty seconds.

You know how I said in the past that fusion power is expensive? In my opinion, Lei Sheng modules make this game legitimately unbalanced. Not that I will hesitate to abuse them.

I also do some reorganization of the crater at this time. It's rather awkwardly shaped.

Ugh. Fine. I'll do this one legit.

With that, the Iwamoto Crater project is complete! Honestly, I can't tell whether Blue Byte actually thinks magnetite is some intensely radioactive space metal, or whether it's supposed to be the text that Cassian Industries' operation here is utterly incompetent.

And now back to Wildwater Bay, starting with a towing job.

The world market is a beautiful thing.

One piece by each of the warehouse sites.

10k energy is a fairly tall order. The easy solution is fusion power on the moon, of course. Alternatively, a load of tidal power plants.

Another combat drone mission, this time blowing up automated defense submarines. You all right, Trenchcoat? These are the loving Global Trust SSBNs from Anno 2070.

World market.

You know, maybe the world market makes things a bit too easy. But Blue Byte's never going to touch this game again, they've got Anno 1800 to milk.

It ends with a whimper.

I've been asked to pass along word to the World Union. Esperanza... wants to make this ship a museum?
That's a wonderful idea! Tell Esperanza we'll be in touch.
One maritime hobo museum coming right up, yes ma'am.

I hate these hot and cold quests.

I've been working on expanding the tundra population, and unlocked not-Joel's next need, MediBots. I also learned from grinding an achievement during this LP that not-Joel's actual name is Yun. Not-Karen's actual name is Jill.

MediBots start with algae, to be turned into synthcells.

This recolored android factory combines synthcells with nanochips to make medibots.

Another crime against nature is go.

The object of the hot and cold quest is finding a bunch of radioactive wreckage that has retroactively been littering the region.

We're cleaning up the wreck of the... nuclear power plant the Eden Initiative was using to power the Seed Vault, that they left running but unattended? Until it exploded when the volcano it was built into erupted?

Blue Byte, I get that y'all kind of hate nuclear power and environmentalism, but Jesus.

Well, time to supply the cooling system.

Another solar flare hits the moon. Oddly, this magnetic field generator took tungsten (from the tundra) to make.

Now to haul away all the wreckage.

By truck, apparently. Even though all access to Vanha appears to be by sea and air.

We interrupt your regularly scheduled LP update to bring you news that Virgil has invaded Akia Floes and is seizing all quantum computers produced and stored there. That no quantum computers are being produced or stored in Akia Floes is a trivial detail.

I like these little touches, using the helipad at the sector entrance and whatnot. Which makes the game's baffling inattention elsewhere all the odder.

To kick-start the renovated reactor, I'm conveniently already piping energy down from the moon.

I'm... beaming down from a fusion reactor down from the moon to kick-start a nuclear reactor in what the game suggests is 23rd century Siberia.

This is why I drained that previous marsh, I want to start producing cobalt. The drone hive uses it, and it's time to source some locally. No, feldspar is never used for anything but constructobots.

And now we can produce catalyst modules for biotech facilities. I am going to use this one the next time I need to expand investors.

To round things out, I've grown Vanha enough to unlock and fulfill not-Joel's final need. High-security labs from the arctic.

This DLC is such a baffling mix of gorgeous new effort and lazy re-use.

Oh and for anyone curious, here's all the achievements so far I've unlocked from doing this LP:

Not On My Watch! Complete any Calamity countermeasure

Honestly, the only Calamity type I've seen so far that requires any effort to solve is Climate Warfare, which wants you to complete a crisis sector.

Sales Oriented: Gain a credit balance of 1,000 from a single world market route

I was surprised I didn't have this already. I'm producing a glut of anti-grav compensators at present, so I'm selling them on the world market for 4.5k.

Because I Can: Expand your corporation headquarter with all different modules

Turns out I've never used the subway entrance looking modules before. Huh.

Hedgehopper: Complete 10 Assignments for your Vanha Plains employees

Just a question of patience and refusing all non-employee sidequests while zoned in to the tundra.

What's That Smell?: Construct 10 Musk-ox Ranches in Vanha Plains

Why would you do this? I deleted them afterwards.

Eden's End: Construct 10 Drilling Rigs in Vanha Plains

gently caress. You.

Deorbiting: Demolish at least 20 Orbital Workshops or Modules at once.

The trick is to get a whole bunch of orbital modules connected to the hub by a single connector, them removed it.

Permanent Crew: Gain an Expertise balance of 600.

Hey, never tried to actually optimize a space station before.

Get off my Lawn!: Defeat your first invasion.

My first game with invasions active.

We Shall Fight on the Beaches: Defeat every type of invasion once

ditto

Eradicate THIS: Defeat 10 Eradicators during invasions

ditto

Island Hopper: Settle all islands in Greentide Archipelago

That was a shitload of graphene, thank you Graphene Reprocessing.

The Hague Called: Use any destructive special action on one of your cities

No comment.

Dominium Terrae: Use Geoengineering 50 times with one corporation

gently caress you, Savik Province.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Feb 12, 2022

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Cythereal posted:

How are you dumb fucks still in business?

I feel this statement could be applied to a minimum of 1/3 of the characters in both Anno 2070 and 2205. In all the euro-centric/"historical" titles, even 1800, the answer is obviously "they inherited the business/nation/title."

Cythereal posted:

You know, maybe the world market makes things a bit too easy. But Blue Byte's never going to touch this game again, they've got Anno 1800 to milk.

As an 1800 fan: this is painfully true.

Cythereal posted:

We're cleaning up the wreck of the... nuclear power plant the Eden Initiative was using to power the Seed Vault, that they left running but unattended? Until it exploded when the volcano it was built into erupted?

Blue Byte, I get that y'all kind of hate nuclear power and environmentalist, but Jesus.

Like you can't even really blame the nuclear power plant in this setup. It's not the reactor's fault it was built next to a volcano.

Also having to jumpstart it with power makes also no loving sense unless we're installing a mini-fusion reactor in here, you know something that does have to be fed constantly and does have a startup cost as compared to fission fuel rods which basically just heat up on their own and continue to do so for decades/centuries if not stored properly.

Oh and fission is something you can only do on the moon in this game.

The less said about the actual physics of somehow beaming power from the moon to the Earth, through the atmosphere even when the moon actually has line of sight over the power collection target, the better.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Alkydere posted:

The less said about the actual physics of somehow beaming power from the moon to the Earth, through the atmosphere even when the moon actually has line of sight over the power collection target, the better.

It's IIRC inspired by those ideas to use microwave beams to get power to the ground from orbital solar arrays.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Magni posted:

It's IIRC inspired by those ideas to use microwave beams to get power to the ground from orbital solar arrays.

The microwave power plant disaster was always my favorite in Sim City 3000.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have hit a bug that has broken the Kinngait Protectorate sector project. I'm looking into possible fixes now, but there's a possibility that I won't be able to complete this project.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Man, those devs really hate proper ecology, don't they? Of course the actual project might have been gigantic methane powered pumps to reverse a river or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The bug has been solved, and there's actually no crimes against the ecosphere in this project.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That seems wildly off theme so far, but I'll welcome it with open arms.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SIGSEGV posted:

That seems wildly off theme so far, but I'll welcome it with open arms.

Trust me, the next (and final) phase of the tundra project more than makes up for it. There will be ranting.

Blue Byte, I like y'alls' games for the most part. Could y'all stop being so loving German?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Custody Dispute

Welcome to Kinngait Protectorate. I've set up a small base here already, just satisfying a small crew of Karens and producing metal foam and super alloys for future needs.

As a sector, Kinngait's main allure is that the landmass here consists simply of two large islands. There's less total land available than the other arctic sectors, and much less mountain and coast slots, but the land is concentrated into two relatively open areas.

'Malfunctioning'? 'Fallen into disrepair'? That thing is falling apart!
We may have... understated the degree of the problem, due to the Orbital Watch crisis.
And this is why you're tolerating one of your own bringing a megacorp in.
Esperanza has demonstrated that they are capable of discretion if nothing else. Such are the times.
Strange bedfellows, doctor?
Now you sound like my husband.

Step one is finding clickies, and this step drove me nuts. These weather balloons aren't restricted to any part of the map, and they move.

And yes, this whole storyline acts like the problem with the climate stabilizer is some great mystery when the thing is visibly on fire.

The next step is attracting a small team of Joels, but I elect to satisfy all of their needs anyway.

Tow job.

If Kinngait is your starting arctic sector, maintaining 500 surplus energy will require a bit of effort.

I do have to visit Ville and buy some metal foam during this process. When you're only producing 3 per tick, you can easily wind up very short no matter how much you had stockpiled beforehand.

I don't always use the world market for these quests!

Phase one complete.

At least it's not in danger of falling over now?

The upshot of doing all this is that I can now on demand make it rain in the temperate zone and snow in the arctic.

Also, the next quest step is hot'n'cold. Seems that the stabilizer was actively sabotaged, and some hacked construction bot ran off with some doohickey the climate stabilizer needs.

I don't know how shipping in boatloads of microchips will reconstruct a robot's database.

The Orbital Watch did it, of course. But instead of repairing the doohickey like we were before, the thing is apparently intact and just needs to be picked up from where it was dropped.

So we have the doohickey back and it's in bad shape. Neuro-implants will help with repairs for reasons.

The doohickey is broken and needs titanium for repairs. Why didn't we stick with the original repair job from phase one?

They put the fires out!
Your enthusiasm is welcome, Liaison. Your sarcasm, less so.

We can make it rain and snow heavily now.

And this is the bug I mentioned. During these 'combat' quests, the drone is supposed to be invulnerable and blow up the targets in short order. In this particular quest, however, the Orbital Watch ships shot back and destroyed the drone. You can't get another drone.

This bug has been known since 2016.

Fortunately, it turns out that you can bring your fleet into Kinngait like you would for an invasion, and these ships are valid targets!

Next quest step is to build high-security labs for the repair work.

Now the doohickey needs a shitload of super coolant, which I actually already have in sector storage from producing a slight excess as part of the chain to make quantum computers.

A demand for 3k power to supply the repair work is easily solved via the moon, which you should have reached by this point if Kinngait is your starting arctic sector.

And with the doohickey finally replaced, our work is done.

I will thank Esperanza's CEO in person. Liaison, your work here is done.
I'm teleoperating from Vanha. Don't you people have a parts catalogue for this kind of stuff?
The Climate Stabilizer network is one of mankind's greatest technological achievements! The Troposphere Regulator alone was the work of decades of-
Liaison?
She hung up on me.

We can now call forth blizzards and thundershowers on a whim. Honestly, kind of underwhelming for being able to manipulate the weather on demand. Moving on...

It's time to finally do something about that super plague in the seed vault in the tundra. Turns out it's Sprawl Fever, an incredibly infectious and lethal super-bug. The Global Union managed to stamp it out a century ago, but now it's back and we start by culling the wild musk oxen population, who are carriers for the disease.

It can also get into the water supply.

We need more drugs! (from the world market)

Tow job to fetch samples for analysis. In the tundra, tow jobs work by your airship slinging cargo underneath.

Build labs for on-site analysis. This is why I brought the sector up to this level previously.

Those 'leaks' sure look like purpose-built ventilation to me, Blue Byte...

And now for the part that pissed me off: we have to drain every marsh in the tundra to eliminate the mosquitos who are the main vector for the disease.

On a gameplay level, this sucks because it's a huge time sink: a minimum of 45 minutes to build and run every pump, assuming you haven't done them all already and assuming you can provide the resources and power to do them all simultaneously.

From an ecological standpoint, this made me really angry. I'm from Florida. I am very well acquainted with swamps and mosquitos, and the dangers of mosquito-borne illness.

Draining wetlands is not how you combat a disease like this you ignorant fuckwits.

To start with, the NPC says when you build a pump that all the wildlife has been evacuated. This is bullshit. Why? Because wetlands are fantastically complex ecosystems that go down to the microbial level. The interweaving of aquatic and terrestrial ecology is still poorly understood, but in any given wetland environment you're talking about the interplay of hundreds, maybe thousands of species of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds, fish, arthropods, fungi, and plants that go down to the unicellular level. You simply cannot 'evacuate' the wildlife population of a wetland environment. End of goddamn story.

Here in Florida, it's ridiculously common for real estate developers to try to buy wetland areas and drain them, often ostensibly with the purpose of getting rid of disease vectors like mosquitos. That this is bullshit and the actual goal is to build more suburbs and sugar farms mainly operated by prison labor and undocumented immigrants in modern day slavery is beside the point. The point is that draining wetlands does not work as a means of mosquito control. Mosquitos can breed in significant numbers in any standing water whatsoever, be it ditches or bird baths or swimming pools, as long as there's not rigorous chemical cleansing.

The other popular thing, widespread use of insecticides, has a habit of causing environmental catastrophes. One standout example with mosquito control is DDT, used in huge volumes in the US and Europe in the 50s and 60s. It's also toxic to humans, almost wiped out many species of wildlife (and *did* wipe out a few), and is so effective at sticking around that even though the poo poo is banned from agricultural use by international treaty it can still be found in pesticide bombed areas today.

Even if you could wipe out mosquito populations by targeted means, that would be an ecological catastrophe in itself. Especially in wetland environments, huge numbers of small animals use mosquitos and mosquito larvae as an important food source. Male mosquitos are also important for pollination of many plant species, and feed on nectar. Only female mosquitos drink blood, and that isn't their whole diet.

How do you actually combat mosquito-borne illnesses like this fictional disease is? Vaccination, mostly. Vaccination is the number one tool against yellow fever and dengue fever, to name two widespread mosquito-borne illnesses. If you assume that this fictional disease has resisted development of a vaccine, like malaria, then keeping personal hygiene, not lingering around standing bodies of water, and use of insect repellents are all good ways of reducing the likelihood of contracting malaria - and right now there's an mRNA vaccine in development for malaria that's showing very promising results!

I get that Blue Byte are video game developers, but I wish they could at least read wikipedia and develop a passing familiarity with what they're writing about, instead of having a supposedly highly trained scientist require the player to carry out a godawful idea like this.

At any rate, another tow job.

Workforce.

Thanks to the tundra modules I'm producing a ludicrous amount of replicators incidentally.

Another tow job.

We receive our reward: we can now make catalyst modules for all building types. All it took was causing an ecological disaster to get there.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
On the one hand, you are absolutely correct about draining swamps and mosquito control.

On the other hand, gently caress those itch causing jerks and the malaria they gave me twice :argh:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Crimes against nature are always so very relaxing.

I get the feeling that given all the nonsense around the seed vault, something really odd happened during the development to make the vents into leaks and so on. I'll say I'm also a little confused as to how the seeds carried the virus to the present day.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Kinngait Protectorate was the only sector anyone expressed interest in, so on a whim I've chosen Novikov Crater next.

Fun thing I've learned: I'm on step two of phase two, and I still haven't had any need to actually move anyone into the sector. :v:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Yeah I'm kinda glad that Ubisoft Mainz (formerly Blue Byte) dropped the ecological stuff with the 1800 setting besides a very time-period appropriate "Let's put animals in zoos!"

They were just so...clumsy and bad at it! There is no good reason you'd drain a wetland! They serve so many purposes ecologically and climatologically! They're some of the world's best carbon sinks too among other things!

Of course while playing this game I drained them with no remorse and filled the region with biocatalyst and aerogel factories.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Also it's set in a far future, they could've just said they had altered the genome of mosquitos not to be a vector for the disease and have you build some labs or something to make it happen.
I mean they have hovering buildings so why not genetic superscience?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

They could have been honest too. "To accomplish our goals, we need space, and while draining the wetlands is tragic, on balance it's much better than having the area irradiated when a nuclear reactor goes critical [because we have no idea how nuclear power works]."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mean, I appreciate that Blue Byte tried to incorporate themes of environmentalism and ecological awareness in their games, I really do, but as someone who's very passionate about the environment these games have left me smacking my head on my desk at times.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

being environmentally friendly is when you carpet organic farms everywhere and the more you place organic farms the more environmentally friendly you are

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I have recorded the next update.

You can get up to phase three, step four of the Novikov Crater sector project before making anyone actually live there. :psylon:

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Telepresence is good, actually.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Like 50 people live in the warehouse or equivalent, right?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Like 50 people live in the warehouse or equivalent, right?

Each lunar warehouse provides 75 workforce, 500 power, and 50 logistics, but doesn't count as anyone actually living there.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Cythereal posted:

I mean, I appreciate that Blue Byte tried to incorporate themes of environmentalism and ecological awareness in their games, I really do, but as someone who's very passionate about the environment these games have left me smacking my head on my desk at times.

There's a random quest in 1800's Passage DLC where the Explorer asks for some steam engines for an experiment on heating up the world to melt the ice and revealing more resources. Blue Byte's record on environmental stuff is so bad I'm not sure if they're poking fun at 2070/2205 or if they're actually referencing actual really stupid geo-engineering plans of the time. Back then you'd see all sorts of suggestions for wild projects like "Let's drain the Mediterranean to create what will obviously be a massive fertile breadbasket for farming."

Of course in real life draining the Mediterranean would actually create a massive, salt-caked deadzone a lot like Death Valley.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cythereal posted:

How do you actually combat mosquito-borne illnesses like this fictional disease is? Vaccination, mostly. Vaccination is the number one tool against yellow fever and dengue fever, to name two widespread mosquito-borne illnesses. If you assume that this fictional disease has resisted development of a vaccine, like malaria, then keeping personal hygiene, not lingering around standing bodies of water, and use of insect repellents are all good ways of reducing the likelihood of contracting malaria - and right now there's an mRNA vaccine in development for malaria that's showing very promising results!

Hmm, yes, I have very bad news for you. We probably won't see a successful vaccination drive against Malaria with new mRNA vaccines in the near future, so draining swamplands (and drilling for oil in arctic wildlife refuges) it is.

In a way, it's not really BlueByte's fault that the environmental stuff, especially nuclear power, is so bad in their games. It's basically all of Germany that just has a completely warped perspective on nuclear power. Even otherwise reasonable people I've talked to about how nuclear power could be a bridge to other renewable sources and allow us to turn off coal and gas power plants (which would also make us a lot less reliant on Russia) will react with instant dismissal and stop listening to your arguments. So they're in a way just reflecting the culture. But it really does take on bizarre dimension at times. Luckily, there were no nuclear power plants in 1800.

I feel like any future Anno should be set on another planet, both to shake off some baggage any Earth setting would bring, as well as allowing the devs to be more creative with exotic locations and supply chains.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Shoot the Moon

Today's topic: Novikov Crater. This sector is split into two craters, and it's far and away the most popular starting moon sector for reasons we'll soon see.

Zandra Haynes, representative of the original Lunar Excavation Corporation, explains the situation. The Orbital Watch's punishment for political dissenters is to give people a space suit, shove them out an airlock, and tell them good luck. Unsurprisingly, this is generally understood to be a death sentence. As Novikov Crater is evidently very close to Orbital Watch territory, Zandra wants help establishing a refugee settlement here.

Zandra underscores the idea that exile on the moon is a form of execution. Many refugees even manage to get hold of a vehicle, but they're on the moon. There's nowhere to go. Until now. Find the clickies.

Step two, bulking up on logistics to provide working transportation for the refugee diaspora.

Step three, more clickies to provide temporary shelters.

Step four, maintain a stock of titanium plating for repairs. I'd already let this place churn out to cap on titanium plating way back when I first acquired it, so this is no trouble.

Step five, send rice to the moon to feed the refugees.

I just want to highlight this ridge. It lies on the isthmus between the two craters, is aligned north/south, and lies directly on the route between the spaceport and the project site. The command rover gets some amazing air time when going over this ridge.

Phase one of the sector project complete. The reward is +200 workforce in the sector, reflecting the refugees being willing to work for your corporation. As workforce can be an issue on the moon, this is why people tend to come to this sector first. I, however, have yet to move anyone into the sector for reals.

Phase two, step one is Virgil committing a notable war crime by mining the sector, particularly the routes refugees take to reach the camp. I recognize that this is a plot about a xenophobic fascist planting barriers of landmines to stop political exiles from fleeing to safety and choose to not make any real world comparisons.

Next step, maintain a stock of moon crops. I could farm them locally. Or I could just buy some off the world market.

Now the Orbital Watch is shooting up the refugees' oxygen tanks. Three guesses how I obtain a large stock of [insert good here] on short notice and the first two don't count.

Next, 1k power for the refugees' life support systems. As it happens, lunar warehouses provide 500 power each. Novikov Crater has two warehouses. Hooray.

Virgil's newest trick: electronic warfare drones that hack refugee vehicles and shut them down, leaving the refugees trapped inside to asphyxiate. Tow job.

Phase two complete grants another +400 free workforce.

Now Virgil's straight up sending tanks after refugees, who need a tow job.

Another war crime for the pile: some of the refugees were actually Orbital Watch saboteurs who have poisoned the air supplies in the refugee camps. Five medical centers will deal with the problem, and the power loss is irrelevant, I've got nothing running here that's actually affected by a power shortage.

Random note: when the Orbital Watch invades Kinngait, their ships will visibly fire on the climate stabilizer that's the object of the sector project. It does absolutely nothing, but it's neat to see.

Next step, another clicky.

Finally, on phase three step four, there's a requirement to actually move people into Novikov Crater.

I could have fit everything in one crater, but eh. People live in the north crater, production in the south, bringing the Jeremies to 2k on the dot with every need satisfied. All for a net cost of about -40k income per tick. The moon sucks.

Final step, drugs to deal with the effects of the... chlorine gas in the oxygen supply? Uh. Let me put it this way: chlorine gas as a chemical weapon turns the water in your lungs into corrosive acid. It's occasionally been used in Middle Eastern conflicts today, and was only phased out during WW1 in Europe because it's not actually as immediately lethal as many nerve gasses. There is not, at present, any known antidote to chlorine poisoning. It's a horrible way to die.

Here's hoping 23rd century medical science has found a solution.

On that cheerful note, that's the sector project in Novikov complete for another +800 workforce.

rbakervv
Apr 1, 2008

For the Emperor!!
Ok, two questions.

1) Is there any game-play effects to making it rain or snow, or is it just cosmetic?

2) Is there any way to make sure Mr. War-Crimes over there faces justice?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

rbakervv posted:

Ok, two questions.

1) Is there any game-play effects to making it rain or snow, or is it just cosmetic?

Just cosmetic.

quote:

2) Is there any way to make sure Mr. War-Crimes over there faces justice?

Nope! There is no resolution of any kind to the Orbital Watch story.

Personally, I theorize that some kind of scenario pack dealing with that had been on the drawing board for 2205's future, but the game's controversial reception and below-expected sales killed future DLC plans.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
personally if they do another sci-fi anno setting i hope they go full gonzo hopepunk "colonizing another starsystem" thing to just fully bypass the modern political stuff because it's always been awkwardly handled but after 2205 i'm not hopeful we'll see another scifi anno

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

The Anno devs have no problem skipping a century or three so I doubt that's a problem.

Also heck yeah, I would absolutely love Anno on Mars and/or any other system...or even better yet full on colonizing another planet/star system. Just start with a colony ship and different planets are sectors.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I picked up a game over the winter sale on Steam with a very similar premise, actually! It's called Per Aspera, and it seems very Anno-like with the premise of colonizing and terraforming Mars.

I haven't gotten very far into it, though, as I've been preoccupied with this LP and frankly I'm getting a bit tired of city-builders. If no one beats me to the punch, though, there's a decent chance I'll LP Per Aspera assuming I pick it back up and beat it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Per Aspera isn't really a city-builder as much as it is a high-level logistics/strategy game.

Gideon020
Apr 23, 2011
Logistics/strategy with a mix of political intrigue and psychological mind-trickery.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Magni posted:

Per Aspera isn't really a city-builder as much as it is a high-level logistics/strategy game.

Most Anno games aren't strictly city-builders either to be fair. I will definitely concede Per Aspera is much more abstracted than Anno games are, but I would say that Anno 2205 has more in common with it than it does with say, Cities Skylines.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Magni posted:

Surviving Mars then I guess?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

hobbesmaster posted:

Surviving Mars then I guess?

Too much colonist management for my taste (Siegkrow, shut up).

Either way, I'm pretty tired of this kind of logistics-focused game so despite enjoying what I've played of Per Aspera I'm probably not going to LP it anytime soon.

Frankly, I have nothing on my LP horizon in general. My experiments with doing a video LP were a bust, and there's nothing else out there I'm interested in possibly LPing for the moment that someone hasn't already done a better job of (yes, I know Anno 2205 is the first LP I've done that hadn't already been done by someone else) or doesn't seriously risk an extreme case of goons being goons.

I personally have the view that LPing a game is doing free marketing for the game, so I only wish to LP games that I want to bring attention to.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Lost Ark

Welcome to Cape Ambar, already home to a thriving population of Ericas and Steves. Cape Ambar consists of a medium-sized island connected by a bridge to a small island, which then links to a large island via another bridge. Two more small islands lie off to the side. Cape Ambar has many ocean slots, but few mountain slots, and the sector trait here is Strong Currents for bonus tidal power production.

Doctor Eleanor Hofwegen represents Ibarra-Foxcom, the world leader in robotics, computers, and communications. She's found what I'll tell you right now - Anno 2070 veterans will recognize it - is an Ark, one of the command ships from Anno 2070. EVE units in that game ran on AIs that predate the Global Union's strict limitations on AI research, and now Hofwegen wants to raise this lost Ark from the deep.

Just saying, if the next sci-fi Anno game is explicitly a post-apocalyptic city builder, this is probably ground zero.

First step is playing hot and cold to find other pieces of debris nearby.

And this is where my preference for residential complexes instead of small houses bites me: this counts total number of residential buildings. Each house counts the same as a residential complex for the purposes of this quest. Now, if I was going to stick around long-term, there'd be no reason not to go ahead and maximize my long-term population. As it is...

Not elegant but it works.

Clickies.

Already have lots of vitamin drinks. Isn't it comforting to know that the woman spearheading what almost certainly falls under illegal AI research is so scatterbrained?

Nano-Ceramics are what feldspar quarries produce. So, for a change, I increase local production temporarily to support the 'lazer cutters.'

This is the reward: we can salvage the Ark for graphene. I, uh, don't need more.

The first step of phase two is the first time I can think of in the game where we're directly asked to fight one of the Big Five, in this case hunting some Usoyev drones.

Next step, have three security departments.

Tow job.

Workforce.

Superalloys.

Unlike all the other rare resource generators, the project here doesn't add additional generators that make more of the resource at the same rate. Instead, it simply raises the cap on how much of the resource the one generator can stockpile - it only produces more at the same rate as each individual generator in the other sectors.

Another reason why no one cares for this sector.

Androids. I could produce them locally, but :effort:

Power generation, solved by another tidal generator.

Incidentally, I once went looking for concept art of this game, hoping to dig up clues to what could have been. Instead, most of the art I found was of the Big Five characters. Including fan-made porn of Hofwegen. I do not get what possesses people to make porn of a game like this of all things.

Thanks to Orbit, I'm not even making qubit processors at all.

World market again. I genuinely can't decide whether the world market was a good idea or not given how it trivializes these quests. Or maybe these quests needed to be more creative. As much as I like Anno 2205, I keep getting the feeling that the game is missing... something.

World market again.

Aside from possibly dooming the world, this has all been rather underwhelming. Oh well.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

On one hand I would worry about the rogue virus that drives AIs insane being released, again. On the other hand, the AI that runs the space station for you basically is an updated version of S.A.A.T.'s super computer F.A.T.H.E.R. (who was SO SMART it thought it was a great idea to just dissect the virus itself instead of taking any precautions).

And by "updated" I mean A.D.A.M. has to fight for control of itself now and then. If you listen to it long enough F.A.T.H.E.R. semi-regularly tries to take control and kill all humans again before A.D.A.M. shoves it back into the crazy closet and apologizes.

So the crazy computer virus is already free. Thanks Ibarra-Foxcomm. You really are S.A.A.T.'s descendants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Alkydere posted:

On one hand I would worry about the rogue virus that drives AIs insane being released, again. On the other hand, the AI that runs the space station for you basically is an updated version of S.A.A.T.'s super computer F.A.T.H.E.R. (who was SO SMART it thought it was a great idea to just dissect the virus itself instead of taking any precautions).

And by "updated" I mean A.D.A.M. has to fight for control of itself now and then. If you listen to it long enough F.A.T.H.E.R. semi-regularly tries to take control and kill all humans again before A.D.A.M. shoves it back into the crazy closet and apologizes.

So the crazy computer virus is already free. Thanks Ibarra-Foxcomm. You really are S.A.A.T.'s descendants.

I've never actually seen any of that, and I've had the space station open for long periods of time!