Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
FYI I'm like 66% sure that the infodrome (and its ilk further up the tech tree) work like the logistics warehouse do: things closer to it take less of its "resource", meaning it gets used more effectively. At least, I have distinct memories of monkeying around with positioning the metro complex and managing to turn -5 deficits into breaking even.

SIGSEGV posted:

I'm guessing there's a reason such as "turbines hosed, spillway hosed, so no draining the lake easily and no changing the turbines easily either" with possibly some structural complications waiting in the wings.

Oh, the way the dam is setup in this level doesn't make an ounce of sense. It's literally just a hole - there's elevation on all sides with no outlet for the water. I can only assume that Lei Sheng tried digging a borehole to the mantle in the middle of the ocean for some reason and when that didn't work tried installing the dam to make up for the wasted effort.

I'm guessing it was originally supposed to drain out the northeast edge of the map and the art team changed the map without consulting anyone who understands how water works.

You can almost see it in this screenshot:

quote:

President Ark fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jan 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

In fact, I just booted up the game and started a new corp in wallbruck just to show off the insanity. All three dams drain into this little basin - you can see one in the distance and the other two on the left and right edges. There's no outlet. Where's the water going?! :psyduck:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

Also, something pretty common once you get later in the game is that buildings at the higher end of the tech tree get really expensive, so the crisis sectors can just be a good way to kill some time while you're waiting for your income to tick up so you can affort something. The cash infusions from ranking your corp up help, but sometimes you hit an awkward spot where you're just shy of that and need to wait a bit.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

To clarify: They eventually let you buy the other sectors you didn't pick, it just costs an arm and a leg (on the scale of $millions).

President Ark
May 16, 2010

personally if they do another sci-fi anno setting i hope they go full gonzo hopepunk "colonizing another starsystem" thing to just fully bypass the modern political stuff because it's always been awkwardly handled but after 2205 i'm not hopeful we'll see another scifi anno